Pioneer's DCI Membership Has Been Revoked

2 hours ago, BigW said:

So much for keeping up.  😋

I think it depends on what's being voted on. Wasn't this the subject of some confusion and controversy at the time of the aborted G7 putsch in 2010 or 2011? DCI's board, composed of something like eight to ten members, voted for the removal of Acheson and the implementation of the G7 package. In response, an emergency meeting of the full membership overturned that vote. Then a year or so later, the G7 proposed some other change as to which corps would and wouldn't get voting rights. So it seems that for routine business, a smaller board voted, but for major decisions, like kicking out a member corps, the full membership gets to vote.

• Thanks 1

no it's been more than just finalists for a while....then they also created the executive board after the G7, who can vote on stuff either on their own, or after the other WC corps vote on it

The saddest thing of all is that Roman Blenski has not taken responsibility for what happened to the corps! He should have stood up and said, "I screwed up and I am sorry!" Then he should have stepped down, backed away and retired from the drum corps community. Doesn't appear that will happen. 

I highly suggest that other drum corps circuits give this man no avenue for running a corps in their circuit. 

What's more sad is that children were involved and his decisions involved them. If I made mistakes like that as a teacher I would NEVER teach again! My license would be pulled and no state in the US would hire me. But this guy thinks he can do whatever he wants.

• Thanks 3

And so far nothing in their website. 🤫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And so far nothing in their website. 🤫

what's to say? "we're being stupid stubborn ####s, and now we got banned for refusing to do whats right" ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

what's to say? "we're being stupid stubborn ####s, and now we got banned for refusing to do whats right" ?

Nah... that’s admitting there is a problem they can’t dance around. I’m waiting to see when/if they mention DCI

20 hours ago, BigW said:

Interesting. When did that change? I thought one of the perks of being a finalist was voting rights.

Yes... but that was also one of the perks of being a charter member corps... and then an associate member corps... and then a top-21 for three years... and various other permutations of who got to be a voting member corps in DCI.

But the larger point is not to confuse the "voting directors" with the "board of directors".  Back in the day, the "voting directors" (i.e. corps directors whose corps had voting membership in DCI) were the sole governing body of DCI.  The full membership still votes today on certain competitive and membership issues.  Over time, much of the other work was delegated to smaller subsets of voting directors.  One such subset, 6 corps directors with three outside people added, became a permanent decision-making entity for business matters, and was dubbed the "executive board".  That 9-person group continues to evolve toward resembling a proper BOD in name, composition and function.  (DCI.org now just calls it the "board of directors".)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

There is an "apology" post on the corps' Tumblr page, but best I can tell it was written by either a member or alumn. It most certainly is not coming from corps leadership:

https://pioneerdbc.tumblr.com/post/181911634305/as-many-of-you-have-heard-this-afternoon-at-the

5 minutes ago, Galen said:

There is an "apology" post on the corps' Tumblr page, but best I can tell it was written by either a member or alumn. It most certainly is not coming from corps leadership:

https://pioneerdbc.tumblr.com/post/181911634305/as-many-of-you-have-heard-this-afternoon-at-the

tone deaf administration to be sure

The thing we all seem to be dancing around/missing is that Roman has worked with Pioneer, and nothing else for at least the last 30 years.  He has nothing to retire from unless he saved money via some external method. He is fighting for his livelihood.

Please understand, I am not defending Roman, just hypothesizing why he is resisting to outright leave.

Edited by Old Corps Guy