Pioneer's DCI Membership Has Been Revoked

3 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

The thing we all seem to be dancing around/missing is this is Roman has worked with Pioneer, and nothing else for at least the last 30 years.  He has nothing to retire from unless he saved money via some external method. He is fighting for his livelihood.

Please understand, I am not defending Roman, just hypothesizing why he is resisting to outright leave.

it's more than that. In comments made to the press, he doesn't see that he did anything wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's more than that. In comments made to the press, he doesn't see that he did anything wrong.

I'm only talking about why he is refusing to leave.  Not the comments he made.

2 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm only talking about why he is refusing to leave.  Not the comments he made.

because he doesnt think they were wrong. his board of enablers supports him

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

because he doesnt think they were wrong. his board of enablers supports him

Totally agree.  However, my hypothesis still remains.  I don't think he has anything to fall back on or retire from beyond Pioneer.  His enablers know that.  Both the old board (Mainly his family) and the new board (Mainly his friends).

35 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Totally agree.  However, my hypothesis still remains.  I don't think he has anything to fall back on or retire from beyond Pioneer.  His enablers know that.  Both the old board (Mainly his family) and the new board (Mainly his friends).

I guess there was no pension when he retired from Pabst and Social Security doesn't cut it? It's unfortunate he never could see anyone else leading the corps beyond him. RIP Pioneer. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tim78 said:

I guess there was no pension when he retired from Pabst and Social Security doesn't cut it? It's unfortunate he never could see anyone else leading the corps beyond him. RIP Pioneer. 

I stand corrected on his Pabst retirement.  However, that was some time ago.  Pioneer has been his only source of income other than Pabst and Social Security for quite some time.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

39 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

The thing we all seem to be dancing around/missing is that Roman has worked with Pioneer, and nothing else for at least the last 30 years.  He has nothing to retire from unless he saved money via some external method. He is fighting for his livelihood.

Please understand, I am not defending Roman, just hypothesizing why he is resisting to outright leave.

Fact check:  Roman Blenski ran Drum Corps Midwest through 2005, and was also employed by DCI as their division II/III coordinator through the 2002 season.  Unless I am Rip Van Winkle, those jobs occurred well within the 30-year window.

But more importantly, no one has right of ownership to a non-profit, or a job with one. 

The thing we do all seem to be dancing around is that at his age (77), retirement from his position ought to have been in the foreseeable future anyway.

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Fact check:  Roman Blenski ran Drum Corps Midwest through 2005, and was also employed by DCI as their division II/III coordinator through the 2002 season.  Unless I am Rip Van Winkle, those jobs occurred well within the 30-year window.

But more importantly, no one has right of ownership to a non-profit, or a job with one. 

The thing we do all seem to be dancing around is that at his age (77), retirement from his position ought to have been in the foreseeable future anyway.

No problem with your fact check.  You are correct in his role with DCM and DCI.  However, his main job for quite some time has been Pioneer.  My hypothesis still remains, he is fighting for his livelihood.

Again, I am not defending him or his statements.  He should accept that he was wrong and move on.  Just not sure how much he has to move on with in retirement.

5 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

No problem with your fact check.  You are correct in his role with DCM and DCI.  However, his main job for quite some time has been Pioneer.  My hypothesis still remains, he is fighting for his livelihood.

Again, I am not defending him or his statements.  He should accept that he was wrong and move on.  Just not sure how much he has to move on with in retirement.

You raise a good point but one that may be moot. If Pioneer is his means of income, then he's not going to be getting any more of that from DCI now that his corps won't be getting performance fees from shows or dues from members. The corps has sponsors but how many of them are going to stick around now that the corps isn't giving them any return? And who knows what sort of debts he may have if assets are titled in his name or in a nonprofit structure that he's liable for? He may have done himself more harm by not agreeing to step down or negotiating some kind of buyout with someone else who may want to step in and run things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim78 said:

I can't imagine he was making a good living running Pioneer