Pioneer's DCI Membership Has Been Revoked

20 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

"...until St. Patrick needs help in the Emerald Isles up above..."
:shutup::shutup::shutup:...:w00t:...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just kept reading it as "until St Patrick needs the Polish guy to help" but too upset at other things to make joke then

• Like 2

At some point you just got to throw in the towel and the time is now. 

Pioneer regardless of what may have been good intentions has not had a competitive product in years. AT some point you have to listen to what DCI and The judges are telling you and adjust to the polices, the direction the activity is going and to the sheets. Survive or die. 

While I appreciate some of what they were wanting to do with their programming they needed to make changes. Either at the top or the top needed to make some changes. Clearly that did not happen for them. 

We have seen that happen on the DCA side of things as well. As the DCA model changed from a all inclusive activity to implementation of a 35 member rule and going from a  Senior activity to a All Age mostly youthful activity..those that did not conform or change to the new model found themselves to  lost or out. Those that conformed and made the adjustments stayed. Those that did not faded into the sunset. 

Pioneer will be missed by some.. most will forget they existed in a single season or two. Its just the way the game is played. 

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

Pioneer regardless of what may have been good intentions has not had a competitive product in years. AT some point you have to listen to what DCI and The judges are telling you and adjust to the polices, the direction the activity is going and to the sheets. Survive or die. 

While I appreciate some of what they were wanting to do with their programming they needed to make changes. Either at the top or the top needed to make some changes. Clearly that did not happen for them. 

We have seen that happen on the DCA side of things as well. As the DCA model changed from a all inclusive activity to implementation of a 35 member rule and going from a  Senior activity to a All Age mostly youthful activity..those that did not conform or change to the new model found themselves to  lost or out. Those that conformed and made the adjustments stayed. Those that did not faded into the sunset. 

Pioneer will be missed by some.. most will forget they existed in a single season or two. Its just the way the game is played. 

At risk of going off topic: DCAs term change from Sr to All Age was just that, a change in wording to show what had already happened. And having Jr/Sr was confusing to non savvy people as sounded like you had to be over 22 to march DCA. IOW it hurt recruiting. 

As far as 35 members I didn’t like that either until a show sponsor told me the fans (aka paying customers) felt they were being short changed. Instead of a 5 corps show they felt they were paying for a 4 and a partial show. And some fans said they would not return if it stayed that way

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

At risk of going off topic: DCAs term change from Sr to All Age was just that, a change in wording to show what had already happened. And having Jr/Sr was confusing to non savvy people as sounded like you had to be over 22 to march DCA. IOW it hurt recruiting. 

Actually, more like "never was". A good portion of the Garfield drumline went to the Cabs after the 71 season, when Garfield fired our great drum instructor George Tuthill, who was also teaching the Cabs. None were close to aging out of junior corps.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Actually, more like "never was". A good portion of the Garfield drumline went to the Cabs after the 71 season, when Garfield fired our great drum instructor George Tuthill, who was also teaching the Cabs. None were close to aging out of junior corps.

Yep in that case it was following staff. In my case it was Corps needed warm bodies to get back on the field in 1974 (I was 16). And lot of RCA (lesser Sr circuit) corps then had youth to be able to compete. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As far as 35 members I didn’t like that either until a show sponsor told me the fans (aka paying customers) felt they were being short changed. Instead of a 5 corps show they felt they were paying for a 4 and a partial show. And some fans said they would not return if it stayed that way

True. Some of those units.... I heard the crowd at some shows... and it wasn't pretty. I winced listening to it. Now there are options for those units so they can develop into something more watchable by the typical DCA audience which is generally very easy to please, but once the line is crossed....

7 hours ago, camel lips said:

at this stage, only one thing will create a change at the top.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

True. Some of those units.... I heard the crowd at some shows... and it wasn't pretty. I winced listening to it. Now there are options for those units so they can develop into something more watchable by the typical DCA audience which is generally very easy to please, but once the line is crossed....

one of the last years in Scranton, smaller corps...like tiny...were being openly mocked in the stands.