Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

If anyone else loses a drum at Finals, Alan K will not be able to save the day. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, karuna said:

Exactly -- it's not an either / or proposition.    You can focus on safety in more than one area.  

Biggest change I think we'll see is more batteries staged near the front sideline so the field judges can read them.  This change really should make all the percussion-heads in the audience happier;  but somehow I'm sure they'll still ##### and moan.   :peek:

I’ma gonna love it.  No #### and moan. 

50 minutes ago, BigW said:

Getting WAY too dangerous on field for all involved

I thought they got rid of the questionable judge?

15 minutes ago, TRacer said:

If anyone else loses a drum at Finals, Alan K will not be able to save the day. 

The performers may need to pick up more dropped drum sticks, a surprise shoe, or a forgotten sabre. I like that the MMs will now be more responsible for the odd turf debris that surfaces from time to time.

I hope there is a speed limit on the front sideline. If a percussion judge wants to move from one 30 yard line to the opposite 30, can the judge please not dash to the second spot?  A slow, pedestrian stroll would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Biggest change I think we'll see is more batteries staged near the front sideline so the field judges can read them.  

Maybe the really good batteries might try this.  The weaker ones might want to be further away from the judge.   Would having a battery spend more time up front hinder the drill writers designing the best visual drill?  What happens with the FE writing and projection with a battery spending more time closer?  Usually there's more open space (safer) behind a battery.  Would that location make it tougher for the percussion judge to get a good read?

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Maybe the really good batteries might try this.  The weaker ones might want to be further away from the judge.   Would having a battery spend more time up front hinder the drill writers designing the best visual drill?  What happens with the FE writing and projection with a battery spending more time closer?  Usually there's more open space (safer) behind a battery.  Would that location make it tougher for the percussion judge to get a good read?

It is up to the corps in their designs to permit the judges to sample every section. With this change, batteries may have to have some "up front" time for the judges to provide a decent evaluation. A judge can certainly justify a lower score if the battery is not presented to them sufficiently to evaluate their performance.

Also, there is a lot more opportunity for judges to evaluate the pit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Also, there is a lot more opportunity for judges to evaluate the pit. 

But only one percussion section at a time and if they are close together might the section not being judged interfere with the reading of the other section? 

2 hours ago, karuna said:

Finally! (Well out of the drill at least)

This has been a long time coming and should come as no surprise. It has been discussed ad nausium for years. It seems weird that this crazy year was the one this rule change was slipped into. It almost seems like a deflection from all the other issues.