Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

Just now, Ghost said:

But only one percussion section at a time and if they are close together might the section not being judged interfere with the reading of the other section? 

I don't see that happening. The judge will have to make sure they are placed to hear every section appropriately...sampling everybody...during the show. They can and will move around as needed along the sideline to get a good vantage point.

Some of the band circuits have been judging this way for years without issue, and I believe DCA as well implemented this a few years ago. The fact that the instructors voted this unanimously points to it being a good idea....I have thought this should have happened years ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Getting WAY too dangerous on field for all involved. WAAAAY too dangerous. Hopefully some folks who think this is a bad thing trust me on that.

You're probably right, BUT this is basically another way in which the visual aspect of drum corps has surplanted the musical aspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stage battery up front during the drum break. No biggie. I always thought it was silly how the percussion judge had to run back and forth between the battery and the pit.

This doesn't change visual and brass judging much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeanInChicago said:

I hope there is a speed limit on the front sideline. If a percussion judge wants to move from one 30 yard line to the opposite 30, can the judge please not dash to the second spot?  A slow, pedestrian stroll would be appreciated.

In that case, might I recommend for the sideline judges for  a slow , pedestrian stroll something that has flair, pizazz, and moves to the beat of the music as they move on down the line. I don't want the stroll to be too pedestrian. How would this work ?

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Hey battery folk, all those hours you spend every week working details, so that you're not just clean from the stands, but clean under a microscope? Forget it, no one will be there to reward that level of detail.

Now get back to working on your pliés!

Honestly, if you can't tell the difference from the front row of the stands, what is the point?

• Like 1

Prediction concerning future DCI battery books: innovative hybrid fusion type writing when near front sideline, simple BOA accent-tap type writing midfield back. Why write-clean the innovative cool-dog stuff if it cannot be appreciated?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Honestly, if you can't tell the difference from the front row of the stands, what is the point?

Because there are two aspects in an adjudicated performance at this level; that which is for the audience and that which is to be judged in order to push you into exceeding your own playing expectations. BOA has totally obliterated the latter for battery members, and it is why the batteries in BOA ensembles now mainly play simple accent-tap passages. My fear is that DCI, via extreamly complex visual overriding musical decisions, is also moving in that same direction.

Perhaps some more LOVE for the front ensemble now (pit)...

Edited by Liahona