Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

14 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

It will be interesting to see if this changes how batteries are tech'ed. Why have your sub-techs on the field so much when those reads are no longer relevant. 

Techs should know the drill so that argument is moot. I realize that seeing a show maybe 5 times is a huge challenge. 

But really it all all boils down to one person the last few years really just was every bad stereotype rolled into one package when it came to paying attention on the field 

8 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Something that hasn't been discussed yet is how this change will affect the positioning of the pit/front ensemble. I bet we're going to see more and more front ensembles like the Bluecoats' of the last 3 seasons, positioned in a way that "opens up" the front of the field so that the judges can more clearly see and hear the performers.

I doubt it. Too often the FE is there to huge guard changes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Delighted! Should have happened decades ago as soon as drill sped up in the 80s 

Cadets wouldn’t have won as many trophies 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

But really it all all boils down to one person the last few years really just was every bad stereotype rolled into one package when it came to paying attention on the field 

And possibly because of one knucklehead, the percussion writing and drill (visuals) for the whole corps, might have to be watered down?

• Like 1

Just now, Ghost said:

And possibly because of one knucklehead, the percussion writing and drill (visuals) for the whole corps, might have to be watered down?

As we have seen for years visual will do what it wants to do, and music will be an unequal partner

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

As we have seen for years visual will do what it wants to do, and music will be an unequal partner

If the battery only spends a little extra time up front, fine.  But, the battery has been a part of visuals for decades, so more than a little time up front might change the drill shape, and the battery could look out of place.  Being a lover of brass, I'd rather see/hear a brass section up front more often than the battery.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCA moved to the box, but they don't perform in domes, just small HS stadiums

Ah, OK. I like the box placement. The sideline also works for me. If the corps does not present the battery for the judge to sample enough, then it is on them if their score is not what they might hope.  I just see no need to be running around on the field, but I know you think otherwise!

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Excellence is not the issue which will drop, they will stay excellent. It will be the battery writing/playing complexity which pushes the performers to exceed beyond expectations that will suffer. Simple writing can be performed at a high rate of excellence, and there is no reason at all to write complex battery books when it will no longer have a way to be adjudicated nor appreciated. The complexity in the hands of the battery is not for the audience, it is for the performers; and without a way to really adjudicate it that complexity will likely go away. That is exactly what happened in BOA when the perc judge was removed from the field, and then the perc judge was eventually totally eliminated.

Or maybe they will play more flams because those sort of disappeared when nobody could play them clean in a line setting.

14 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Or maybe they will play more flams because those sort of disappeared when nobody could play them clean in a line setting.

Or do other things that further challenge the individual performers, including things that have not been invented yet.