Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

Drill watered down? Isn't it watered down, already? The shows are all about staging now. There aren't too many corps left, anymore, that use the entire field with formations and running around at MACH 3. 

The props do cut down the size of the field.  

26 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Or maybe they will play more flams because those sort of disappeared when nobody could play them clean in a line setting.

Encouragement to execute flams poorly because now they will not be adjudicated. Now that is rich!

• Like 1

It's not the end of the world. But I'm not thrilled with it. Outdoors is one thing. But I've witnessed countless shows at LOS from the field front sideline. Reading the battery once they get behind the front hash will not be happening. It's unfortunate that their visual presentation becomes compulsory, but the decision is not about me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Techs should know the drill so that argument is moot. I realize that seeing a show maybe 5 times is a huge challenge. 

But really it all all boils down to one person the last few years really just was every bad stereotype rolled into one package when it came to paying attention on the field 

My point is that techs don't need to hover as much since judges are reading from front. They can find things to fix while hovering, but it will now be just as important to also understand where the reads can or won't happen.

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Or do other things that further challenge the individual performers, including things that have not been invented yet.  

However the 'other things' will be geared more and more toward visual show complexity not musical complexity. Not only look at BOA as an example but at other genre such as: stadium rock shows in which many vocalists and musicians are now mimicking the music on stage to recordings in the name of visual complexity, or in many Broadway type stage productions which are eliminating the pit orchestra and using pre-recorded music because it is all mainly about the visual.

Edited by Stu

Ya, being in the front in front off all the crap and noise pollution I don't know how you are going to really judge it.

The field percussion judge on a hovercraft, following the battery from overhead.  That's the solution here.  And the more savvy corps will work that judge into their visual program somehow. :laughing:

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

However the 'other things' will be geared more and more toward visual show complexity not musical complexity. Not only look at BOA as an example but at other genre such as: stadium rock shows in which many vocalists and musicians are now mimicking the music on stage to recordings in the name of visual complexity, or in many Broadway type stage productions which are eliminating the pit orchestra and using pre-recorded music because it is all mainly about the visual.

And that sucks for those musicians, because those are well-paying gigs.

I will only say that I got a whole new appreciation for PRs 2010 drum line from the field judge's tape.  I heard levels of detail that just weren't there in the standard recording.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

If the battery only spends a little extra time up front, fine.  But, the battery has been a part of visuals for decades, so more than a little time up front might change the drill shape, and the battery could look out of place.  Being a lover of brass, I'd rather see/hear a brass section up front more often than the battery.

I just want music to be a 50/50 partner 

• Like 1