Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if I am on the track and it sounds like there is an ensemble issue, i am going to very carefully defer the call to upstairs. Sound travels at different speeds. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=rMPfLctjXbY

Sound only travels at different speeds through different mediums (eg. water vs. air).  In the example above the sounds travel at the exact same speeds but the arrival times vary as the distances are different and the reference points are changing (to make  point).

17 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Sound only travels at different speeds through different mediums (eg. water vs. air).  In the example above the sounds travel at the exact same speeds but the arrival times vary as the distances are different and the reference points are changing (to make  point).

...amen...and that's why some situations, instrumentally, are such a beeeeach to line up, speed-of-sound wise!

The only real changes I see in the immediate are to drum feature stagings - if you want credit from the judge for achievement, you're going to have to put it where they can see it.  As a drummer, this fills my heart with joy.

Even The Powers That Be acknowledge this is going to take some getting used to, and there may be more tweaks coming after the season.  But I'd much rather have discussions about sound waves and BOA than one about a kid getting a concussion (or a judge!) because of a collision. 

One thing I came away very impressed with DCI management, staff and corps minds this weekend was they are starting to get out of "react" mode and to start thinking proactively about all of the *other* things we take for granted in our activity that really are done because "that's how they've always been done," even when they don't make a whole ton of sense.

Mike

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, chasgroh said:

...amen...and that's why some situations, instrumentally, are such a beeeeach to line up, speed-of-sound wise!

That's why you never watch the drum major...well that and I'm a trumpet so we pretty much ignore them anyway.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

The only real changes I see in the immediate are to drum feature stagings - if you want credit from the judge for achievement, you're going to have to put it where they can see it.  As a drummer, this fills my heart with joy.

This is essentially what BD has been doing and beating everyone at for the last 20+ years. They are the masters of design and staging to draw your eyes and ears to what they want you to see and hear for every section.

• Like 3

I would have preferred wording that allows field judges to walk the perimeter of the performance...essentially a giant arc.  Maybe defined as allowing them to cross the hashes to the backside of the field outside the 15 or 20 yard line.  Corps will now be able to hide a lot simply by turning back field.

Does this affect the drums more than the horns? With the drum lines in the back more so than the horns. Will the pit feel more pressure? Will it drive innovation w/o the judges being on top of them?

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Does this affect the drums more than the horns? With the drum lines in the back more so than the horns. Will the pit feel more pressure? Will it drive innovation w/o the judges being on top of them?

yes it affects percussion tremendously

• Confused 1