Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

10 minutes ago, BigW said:

Might change they way they're tuned? 

at this stage, there's a zillion ways things could change from implements, tuning, writing, staging...and safety.

Why do I mention safety?  Safety for the judges. I'll say it again....that safe zone is right where a HUGE amount of equipment/uniform changes happen. And with the size and way pits are stacked in there, trying to back up to avoid members coming at you doesn't give a lot of room to move. And if a corps decides to use scrims up front to help hide stuff, it makes it even tougher for the judge to get into that safe zone

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

at this stage, there's a zillion ways things could change from implements, tuning, writing, staging...and safety.

Why do I mention safety?  Safety for the judges. I'll say it again....that safe zone is right where a HUGE amount of equipment/uniform changes happen. And with the size and way pits are stacked in there, trying to back up to avoid members coming at you doesn't give a lot of room to move. And if a corps decides to use scrims up front to help hide stuff, it makes it even tougher for the judge to get into that safe zone

YOU.BET. Rule number one for drill designers, fill open spaces and voids. That space a judge sees as open/safe will invariably have 30 guard members jazz running into it within a 3-8 second window now.... and yeah, the screens and some props also lessen bail out options. The less one has a direct bail line to the sideline.. the more dangerous it gets.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Hopefully, if a judge cannot get a good read because of items like the above, their tape and score will make that point. Corps will have to ensure that the sideline judges are able to sample what they need to come up with scores and comments. Staging of the sections and the "walkable" space on the sideline are both important factors now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

Hopefully, if a judge cannot get a good read because of items like the above, their tape and score will make that point. Corps will have to ensure that the sideline judges are able to sample what they need to come up with scores and comments. Staging of the sections and the "walkable" space on the sideline are both important factors now.

and you know #### well the judge will be at fault, not the designers.

On one hand I agree about how much a judge can really ajudicate while running for their lives and also think that it's not their job to be a "scout and study film" to figure out how not to get run over. Their gig is to judge, plain and simple.

That said, I feel this will change how books are arranged and it may water down the music the battery plays. Will this change staging of the battery? 

Yet, most of the DCI battery members compete in WGI where the playing is at a very high level and I doubt the members will be ok spending their summers playing water down music. Percussionist like myself, likes to be challenged and I know that part of the experience is playing on the lot. So I think and hope that not much will change for now. 

Based on judge critique and scoring this season could determine how arrangers approach how they write for 2020.

Edited by Jeffe77

1 hour ago, Jeffe77 said:

On one hand I agree about how much a judge can really ajudicate while running for their lives and also think that it's not their job to be a "scout and study film" to figure out how not to get run over. Their gig is to judge, plain and simple.

That said, I feel this will change how books are arranged and it may water down the music the battery plays. Will this change staging of the battery? 

Yet, most of the DCI battery members compete in WGI where the playing is at a very high level and I doubt the members will be ok spending their summers playing water down music. Percussionist like myself, likes to be challenged and I know that part of the experience is playing on the lot. So I think and hope that not much will change for now. 

Based on judge critique and scoring this season could determine how arrangers approach how they write for 2020.

and you know #### well visual will do what they want to for staging

• Like 1

So we're not going to see more of this in the coming years ?  Its going to take some getting used to.. These on field percussion judges had great observation skills of the drum lines performing in these positions when the on field judges were this close to the lines.. Being this close to the action allowed them to concentrate exclusively on the performers playing abilities..... as we can see here.

CoJbKt7VYAAgyxo.jpg-large-1024x1003.jpg

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

So we're not going to see more of this in the coming years ?  Its going to take some getting used to.. These on field percussion judges had great observation skills of the drum lines performing in these positions when the on field judges were this close to the lines.. Being this close to the action allowed them to concentrate exclusively on the performers playing abilities..... as we can see here.

CoJbKt7VYAAgyxo.jpg-large-1024x1003.jpg

the reason the complaints have been growing for the last 3 years right there in this picture. THE reason

• Like 1