Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

On 1/17/2019 at 11:34 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the reason the complaints have been growing for the last 3 years right there in this picture. THE reason

At least no one proposed drones. /shrug 

Maybe I'll market that. "Judge Drone 2000!" (by Acme of course....thanks Wile E Coyote)

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

At least no one proposed drones. /shrug 

Maybe I'll market that. "Judge Drone 2000!" (by Acme of course....thanks Wile E Coyote)

The solution may be some kind of tight sideline camera with a zoom lens and  individual mike setup on the percussion instruments so that no one needs to intrude on field yet get the looks and sound they need.

Edited by BigW

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

The solution may be some kind of tight sideline camera with a zoom lens and  individual mike setup on the percussion instruments so that no one needs to intrude on field yet get the looks and sound they need.

And more wasted $$$$$$$$$$$

32 minutes ago, BigW said:

I know, I know. But if the percussionists want someone able to hear every rudiment and how clean things are without intruding on the field...

Can this type of set up provide a clean audio?  Will the quads and bass also have mics?  I’m thinking this could become a charlie foxtrot.

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

We can only hope. The tensions have just gotten too #### high IMHO. I'm all for Kevlar heads. I've loved the stuff since the late 80's. But some of the lines sound so choked at this point. 

Keep em low you lose them in domes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been thinking about this lately.  It already makes me sad that the blu-rays don't have a separate audio track for the percussion judge anymore.  There were so many things I heard for the first time on those tracks on the old DVD's from the early 2000's.

At first, I thought the idea of restricting judges to the sidelines would result in more simplistic percussion writing.  But now, I'm not so sure.  Does anyone think someone like Colin McNutt will stop writing flams?  I kinda think that's in his DNA.

Also, I'm wondering if drill writers will now be more likely to place the battery at the front sideline for featured moments?  I wouldn't be complaining if that happens!

58 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I've been thinking about this lately.  It already makes me sad that the blu-rays don't have a separate audio track for the percussion judge anymore.  There were so many things I heard for the first time on those tracks on the old DVD's from the early 2000's.

At first, I thought the idea of restricting judges to the sidelines would result in more simplistic percussion writing.  But now, I'm not so sure.  Does anyone think someone like Colin McNutt will stop writing flams?  I kinda think that's in his DNA.

Also, I'm wondering if drill writers will now be more likely to place the battery at the front sideline for featured moments?  I wouldn't be complaining if that happens!

Music itself no longer drives the music writing bus, it is all about visual choices now with sound choices being relegated to enhancement of the visual. So the desires of the perc writers like McNutt will take a further back seat if not go into the trunk along with the half-bald spare tire.

It takes a tremendous amout of rehearsal time to clean the grace note height and placement to the primary note in a multi player snare line.  And musically, a flam really only fattens the sound of a tap. Dirty flams sound awful and can be heard from the sidelines when the battety is mid to back field while clean flams from that far away are pretty much indistinguishable from accent taps; especially when the brass are also playing. Don't believe me? With the full corps playing out on the field take the grace notes out of the swiss triplets but keep the diddle tap sticking intact. From the sidelines, and especially the box Music GE location, you cannot tell the difference.

Moreover, while the staging of the battery might be an occasional sweep by the sidelines, and we may see short bursts of complex notes, the idea of bringing them up for a specific 'battery feature' is so 20th cent old school and is likely not progressive enough for the visual designers of today. So my guess is that while the battery is mid to back field (ie most of the show) music writing for the battery will be wattered, and battery visual movement will increase.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

Music no longer drives this bus, it is all about visual now with sound being enhancement. So the desires of the perc writers like McNutt will take a back seat if not go into the trunk along with the half-bald spare tire.

I know some staff that might take offense to being call this...............................................

:poke:    :lol:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 1