Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

11 hours ago, BigW said:

I think part of that is like brass, everyone plays exceptionally well, spreads are tighter and atom-splitting as a result. The quality of musicianship in this era, ridiculously good. Groups characterized as "bad" now would destroy a lot of groups from maybe as few as 10-15 years ago. A good or bad visual package...  the visual panel will leap in and separate over it easily.

WGi percussion was the music/PA sheet, GE which was half music, half overall, and visual. now its those three plus a gE visual sheet. So visual gets even more emphasis, as you know the two music based sheets have to reference visual stuff all the time. I see some of the merit for the GE visual sheet at the top, but it's sending a horrible message to the lower classes, who now feel they need all of the acrobatics and props etc, as opposed to learning how to move and play

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

You’re right! Harder to hear clearly based on each facilty being indoors.  Since I’ve taught and/or designed in PIW and PSW for 10+ years, what you hear on the floor 5 feet away from a battery sounds much different in a gym halfway up the bleachers. There’s echo and different environmental factors of each room.  So if we REALLY care about understanding how clean they’re playing, then the only option should be to put judges on the floor! 

actually clarity is much easier to discern inside a gym or small arena compared to an echo chamber like LOS or the other domes on the DCi schedule. 

and hey...i'm down for judges on the floor. 

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

And the drum people I have worked with who happen to be some of the best in the country have never said or felt they were sacrificing quality or not challenging their students musically. At least I never heard it, and I think very much like guard people I'm very sure I would have heard it over the years...lol In my experience they ( drum staff ) have always been very vocal on what they wanted and how they wanted it presented. Maybe it's just the staffs I have been lucky to have been a part of.

OR, Maybe they didn't want me to hear..lol

OK I'll stay out of the drum threads now...😁DUDE!...LOL

they didn't bother saying it to you because they knew your reaction dude. 

LOL

1 hour ago, Stu said:

But..... Back then there were hundreds of corps and the dues were small. Now very few corps and the dues are high. Onl, again only those really serious are auditioning today. That is a huge difference.

That is true, but it does not change the fact that top to bottom the brass lines of today are the most talented ever. Actually, the smaller number makes it more obvious. Of the hundreds of corps back in the day, the vast majority were the smaller local level corps that had 20-30 local kids on horn; many of them learned by rote.

If you look at scores for shows like VFW Nats or the World Open just prior to DCI, there were not really many more corps that today be considered World Class than there are today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

could be DUDE!😜

I say that because i have had that battle with visual folks. in fact they have been crying about drum judges for years on the field because :"it ruins our pretty pictures".

one idiot created the safety battle cry to get where we are now, and in fact had it not been for a field judge with Crown a few years ago, there could have been some serious injuries.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I say that because i have had that battle with visual folks. in fact they have been crying about drum judges for years on the field because :"it ruins our pretty pictures".

one idiot created the safety battle cry to get where we are now, and in fact had it not been for a field judge with Crown a few years ago, there could have been some serious injuries.

Ive often wondered how much one actually is seeing or even hearing when dodging, trying to keep up and like in 2011 when cadets split their drum line. I guess just time to move on

Ok I'm out, leave the conversation to the drum experts😀

Edited by GUARDLING

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

WGi percussion was the music/PA sheet, GE which was half music, half overall, and visual. now its those three plus a gE visual sheet. So visual gets even more emphasis, as you know the two music based sheets have to reference visual stuff all the time. I see some of the merit for the GE visual sheet at the top, but it's sending a horrible message to the lower classes, who now feel they need all of the acrobatics and props etc, as opposed to learning how to move and play

And they're using the same sheet instead of ones with different expectations? Oof!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

But..... Back then there were hundreds of corps and the dues were small. Now very few corps and the dues are high. Onl, again only those really serious are auditioning today. That is a huge difference.

Even in the early 80's, my experience at Westshore indicated only those who were dead serious showed up in Winter, and many of those didn't stick. One of them being a PA All-State French Horn player. Another a District Band level Trombone. One a top soloist from a local HS competitive juggernaut at the time who thought it would be easy and found out the other leads were at his level or better. A couple of not so talented slipped in here and there by gutting it out. And this is at the DCA level. Harrisburg had a glut of Competitive HS band talent, and we got less than 5 percent of that talent showing up let alone being there for the beginning of the season, and we weren't cutting, they cut themselves. Changes were happening even then, and now with people getting cut because they can't move or for physical appearance... a lot of good people back then would indeed get cut now especially if they couldn't drop 50 pounds. Want examples, I'll find video.

Edited by BigW