Field judges restricted to front sideline in 2019

22 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Ive often wondered how much one actually is seeing or even hearing when dodging, trying to keep up and like in 2011 when cadets split their drum line. I guess just time to move on

Ok I'm out, leave the conversation to the drum experts😀

with multiple reads, you learn where to go. Sure even finals week you can get some changes, but for the most part after Allentown, they have a road map

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

And they're using the same sheet instead of ones with different expectations? Oof!

it's like GE for corps or even in band. it's an effect sheet, words are the same, one judge has a music background one has a visual background

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

with multiple reads, you learn where to go. Sure even finals week you can get some changes, but for the most part after Allentown, they have a road map

Multiple reading is the factor. I also remember the days when we had a guard judge or horn judge up our ### through the show and who exactly were we playing or spinning for that judge or the audience. Where did the focus go...jmo..ok...let me out now..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

That is true, but it does not change the fact that top to bottom the brass lines of today are the most talented ever. Actually, the smaller number makes it more obvious. Of the hundreds of corps back in the day, the vast majority were the smaller local level corps that had 20-30 local kids on horn; many of them learned by rote.

If you look at scores for shows like VFW Nats or the World Open just prior to DCI, there were not really many more corps that today be considered World Class than there are today.

A couple of big changes for today is that High School music education is better, and what is top to bottom in number of corps competing in DCI today was actually top the mid back 20 or thirty years ago. However take a look at 93 Star, 94 BD, 99 Scouts, etc, over 20 years ago. The musicians in those and other top 12 organizations were not 'worse' then the performers of today's organizations. Especially in battery.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Multiple reading is the factor. I also remember the days when we had a guard judge or horn judge up our ### through the show and who exactly were we playing or spinning for that judge or the audience. Where did the focus go...jmo..ok...let me out now..lol

more streamlined criteria on the sheets helps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It must be hard to hear what's coming out of the speakers on the front sideline when you're on the field. Makes sense to move the judges back so they legitimately critique the corps in all their amplified glory. 

Edited by tommynev

I have seen several designers talking online about how it will affect how they design, and not always in good way

53 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have seen several designers talking online about how it will affect how they design, and not always in good way

One of the cons mentioned during discussions about what might happen with this change.