Oregon Crusaders will not field a corps in 2019

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Sad to lose a Corps. The Oregon Cru once had so much promise too. But they let it all slip away by mistreating MM's and junior staffers, and it ultimately became their undoing. ' Lesson here for other Corps, imo.

Hi BRASSO, Your right OC had promise but they have gone inactive before and always came back stronger. Now they have a stronger, more aware dci by working together things should come back together for them. Dci makes two steps forward with MC & Genesis moving up then two unfortunate steps back. Dci has been there before with corps going inactive for mostly financial reasons, dci worked with them created Sound Sport and new teams and old corps found a way back. Now Guardians and may be Arsenal joined Open Class. 

Now dci is faced with these new challenges and are addressing them in their own way. We may criticize their resolve and want more. However, the 2019 Season is coming together so we need to patient and let the process work. imo

Edited by Bluzes

We have been following OC pretty close I didn't see it coming was encouraged. They put their staff back together. Announced their drum majors and held a few camps. Then this at the close of the meetings does anybody think dci had their hand in this with the timing and all? How can Stevens one man cause all this damage or is there more to it?

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

We have been following OC pretty close I didn't see it coming was encouraged. They put their staff back together. Announced their drum majors and held a few camps. Then this at the close of the meetings does anybody think dci had their hand in this with the timing and all? How can Stevens one man cause all this damage or is there more to it?

At the end of last season there were staff resignations and marching members saying they would not return. While protests over a serious poor decision in hiring were real, the attitude of the director toward this issue and a number of other issues such as going after whistle blowers, and an overall disregard and disrespect are the main issues, at least from what I can gather. This is why it may be difficult for Oregon Crusaders to return. With financial issues you can get the right people on board and resolve to be more financial sound. When it is a reputation issue, that’s a bit more difficult. 

I doubt DCI got directly involved, though it is possible. It is also possible they saw the writing on the wall after the Pioneer vote. Most likely, knowing they would not recruit enough people for a WC corps was the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I doubt DCI got directly involved, though it is possible. It is also possible they saw the writing on the wall after the Pioneer vote. Most likely, knowing they would not recruit enough people for a WC corps was the deciding factor.

I read where they were struggling to get 100 members may be that is not enough to fund a  coast to coast tour anymore. It was a gallant effort on their part, hope to welcome them back soon. Better now than figuring this out in April like what happened to Magic back around 2001.

Now some of the MMs are seeking out The Cascades or Troopers I think BK has a full corp. Then there are a number of OC corps out west. We have to give the MMs credit jumping from corps to like they are right around the corner. In my day I had 4 corps to choose from and my commute was the same distance just in another direction, now it could be 2 or 3 states away just a walk in the park for them.

Edited by Bluzes

For the past several years, it seemed like every time there was good news in drum corps, one poster here would sarcastically comment, "But waah, I was told drum corps is dying." That was his way of mocking anyone who expressed a genuine concern about the state of the activity. Naturally you'd never see him respond to bad news like this. I'd like to request that everyone mentally slap him right now. Just in your minds. Not in real life! Not even with words. Just envision it for a moment.

Anyway, I'm not claiming that drum corps is dying. I'm just shaking my head. In the space of a week, two corps are out -- and for entirely self-inflicted reasons. It's not because of the economy! It's not because DCI did something to drive them out (e.g. via rules that make competition too expensive, a concern that's often expressed here). It's not even due to their own financial mismangement, often the key factor in a corps' demise. It's due to just not treating people right.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

Thanks Mike.  Is your daughter marching again this year?

Unfortunately no. She had a massive knee reconstruction in September (marched the back half of tour last summer with the inside scrambled) and doesn’t want to risk it. I did warn her *I’m* not stopping with her corps, though!

Mike

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

it wasn't just Stevens. There were issues raised in several places about issues this summer. Shortly after finals word got out the staff resigned and many if not all kids that planned to return originally changed their minds.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Anyway, I'm not claiming that drum corps is dying. I'm just shaking my head. In the space of a week, two corps are out -- and for entirely self-inflicted reasons. It's not because of the economy! It's not because DCI did something to drive them out (e.g. via rules that make competition too expensive, a concern that's often expressed here). It's not even due to their own financial mismangement, often the key factor in a corps' demise. It's due to just not treating people right.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Excellently put, NE. I want to see our activity grow, but I also want that growth to be tempered with sustainability & proper treatment of corps members. 

I have no connections with OC, but have been a vocal supporter of their's since their "nevermore" show, simply because I love an underdog & a scrappy group that performs with passion & intensity. That passion & intensity was absent this season, as noted by previous posters, and while I'm heartbroken to see a corps go, I am also thrilled about the clear lesson that is being displayed here: play right or don't play at all. This is the way it has to be in our youth-centered activity, and if OC had to learn that by sitting out a season or more, then so be it. I hope all other corps do not undervalue the immense importance of this lesson on display.

• Like 1