GetOFFmyDot

Oregon Crusaders will not field a corps in 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Unfortunately no. She had a massive knee reconstruction in September (marched the back half of tour last summer with the inside scrambled) and doesn’t want to risk it. I did warn her *I’m* not stopping with her corps, though!

Mike

Hoping she can land a place somewhere with a front ensemble, Mike, if she wants to still perform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THis is terrible, but like many have said...it was expected. I hope the kinds can go elsewhere...like Seattle, where one of my former instructors is the director. He is very inspirational and runs a good ship...and has a good sense of humour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the members that were victimized by Mike Stevens, I am truly sorry.  He was a horrible man and never should have been allowed near young people.  

That being said:

My son marched five years with this corps and had the time of his life.

There is a lot more to the story of what happened last year (MS was no longer on staff) and sadly, it will likely never be known.  Let me just say that to the best of my knowledge, the demise of this corps was the result of a perfect storm of very unfortunate events, some of which were clearly the fault of the corps, some that were not, and the timing of the whole thing.  As far as I know (which is probably more than most on here), OC was willing to take full responsibility for their part.  They wanted to move past this as the Cadets were able to do. 

There is a lot of misinformation out there, even within the corps.  A certain new, but high ranking staff member last season was very influential but with nefarious intentions for usurping the corps.  Social media is a very powerful thing and truth gets twisted and spun to serve agendas.  (Just look at current US politics for a prime example of this).  

All the haters out there should be happy.  The trash talking worked! 

I really hope OC comes back. 

I'm not sure I will without them so come at me guns blazing.

I have said my peace, and am too heartbroken to continue any discourse.

  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sucks. It's sooo hard for corps in the Pac. North Region to be competitive. OC was the hope but seriously this is bad for the region. There have been others including Mauraders, Seattle Imperials and of course the Cascades. Someone once said it's because of the school season ends so late that they or corps in this area can't really do a tour until early July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Really sucks. It's sooo hard for corps in the Pac. North Region to be competitive. OC was the hope but seriously this is bad for the region. There have been others including Mauraders, Seattle Imperials and of course the Cascades. Someone once said it's because of the school season ends so late that they or corps in this area can't really do a tour until early July.

OC had a chance in August when the stories started coming out in various forums to get ahead of the news and be very proactive in dealing with it.....but they didn't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, luv4corps said:

OC was willing to take full responsibility for their part.  They wanted to move past this as the Cadets were able to do. 

There is a lot of misinformation out there, even within the corps.  A certain new, but high ranking staff member last season was very influential but with nefarious intentions for usurping the corps.

Unfortunately, none of this is true. The tour administration this year, some of whom were new, were absolutely fantastic. They had no agenda besides doing their jobs (and doing them well!). I wonder if their competence threatened the complacency of the higher administration, whose mediocrity ultimately drove the corps into the ground.

OC would be fielding a corps this year (and retaining virtually all of their staff and 30-50% of their vets) if the higher administration simply took accountability for their inadequacy, which ranged from complicity with sexual harassment claims, to mismanagement of money, to general unprofessionalism. Instead, the higher administration refused to step down from their roles. The instructional and design staffs and, consequently, the marching members, left in protest. How could anyone return to a place led by an administration that neglects both the members' safety and their success?

No one wanted this outcome. We all wanted OC to field a corps. But for as long as their CEO and board chairman are still there, shutting OC down is the necessary move. There is no permissible compromise to member safety.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should probably mind my own business and I’m sure someone will tell me to do just that.  But it’s seems to me that now is the time for contrition and remorse. Perhaps reaching out to the survivors and offering support.  Let the healing begin. 

Finger pointing isn’t going to solve anything. 

  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I should probably mind my own business and I’m sure someone will tell me to do just that.  But it’s seems to me that now is the time for contrition and remorse. Perhaps reaching out to the survivors and offering support.  Let the healing begin. 

Finger pointing isn’t going to solve anything. 

I think we’re doing the remorse part. I think Mint was pointing out that the contrition piece is missing from OC leadership. Sad situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I should probably mind my own business and I’m sure someone will tell me to do just that.  But it’s seems to me that now is the time for contrition and remorse. Perhaps reaching out to the survivors and offering support.  Let the healing begin. 

Finger pointing isn’t going to solve anything. 

Thank you Terri!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mint said:

Unfortunately, none of this is true. The tour administration this year, some of whom were new, were absolutely fantastic. They had no agenda besides doing their jobs (and doing them well!). I wonder if their competence threatened the complacency of the higher administration, whose mediocrity ultimately drove the corps into the ground.

OC would be fielding a corps this year (and retaining virtually all of their staff and 30-50% of their vets) if the higher administration simply took accountability for their inadequacy, which ranged from complicity with sexual harassment claims, to mismanagement of money, to general unprofessionalism. Instead, the higher administration refused to step down from their roles. The instructional and design staffs and, consequently, the marching members, left in protest. How could anyone return to a place led by an administration that neglects both the members' safety and their success?

No one wanted this outcome. We all wanted OC to field a corps. But for as long as their CEO and board chairman are still there, shutting OC down is the necessary move. There is no permissible compromise to member safety.

Wrong on all points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.