When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, high school has been driving this so-called Major League innovative design bus for quite a while now. Other Major Leagues should take note and follow this pattern. Little League Baseball should dictate the direction of the MLB!! Adolescent Punt Pass and Kick should be implimented into the NFL!!!

the same folks teach the top HS and the top DCI corps - it isn't "follow the leader" - rather they try new ideas in both arenas 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not exactly HS driving it, Drum corps people changed the narrative in HS band and now it floats back and forth. Same people, same designers, same judges etc etc in many cases

exactly - and to the original point of the thread, I somewhat agree with the suggestion that an OC corps might be the first - a full tarp is another way of redefining the performance space for smaller or less experienced units

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

exactly - and to the original point of the thread, I somewhat agree with the suggestion that an OC corps might be the first - a full tarp is another way of redefining the performance space for smaller or less experienced units

lots of innovative things come from lower classes even in WGI. Shows in upper tiers will adopt a theme, make it fall in line with WC sheets, expectation, demand, the ability of members and of course financially in line with a WC budget.

Edited by GUARDLING

And now DCI/BOA quack alike, waddle alike, and look alike. DCI is now an extention of BOA marching bands sans woodwinds. And since BOA high school band directors/staff who also participate in DCI typically receive more professional salary compensation via HS, it is HS that drives the bus. Been sayin' that for years!

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Soon? Which corps most likely?

I'll pick Bluecoats 2020...More likely though...props will get even MORE vertical...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not exactly HS driving it, Drum corps people changed the narrative in HS band and now it floats back and forth.

Right, this is the second year that I have seen O'Fallon use their white tarp. Yesterday Arrowhead had a nice tarp over the field may be a corps could use it over the summer.

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Right, this is the second year that I have seen O'Fallon use their white tarp. Yesterday Arrowhead had a nice tarp over the field may be a corps could use it over the summer.

I believe a full tarp was actually used in BOA way back in the late 90s at the NY field band championships. Corps and bands will borrow/ sell with pretty much everything from flags to props and tarps. They can also paint the tarps also although the more they do that the heavier they get

1 hour ago, Stu said:

So by that you mean that Crown always seems to be the first who are behind the curve on trends that are set by high school staff to move those trends into the rhelm of DCI.

Having been behind the curve on nearly everything for my entire life, I can appreciate this comment. :laughing:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

a full tarp is another way of redefining the performance space for smaller or less experienced units

It wasn't a full tarp, but I remember one year, when Mandarins were dominating Div. 3, when they used several smaller tarps to "frame" the field... to great  effect.

They had, what, 10 horns or so that year...but the tarps made them look bigger.

• Like 1

In quiet passages of O'Fallon's shows, you could hear their feet on the tarp --shush-shush, shush-shush-- as they moved.