When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

What percentage of the field did Troopers cover with those hearts?

Edit: Just did the math but feel free to check it!  Each circle was 10 yards in diameter.  Thus about 78.54 square  yards.  Times 15 tarps therefore around 1178.1 square yards of tarp.  Football fields are 53 1/3 yard by 100.  So 5,333 square yards.    That's around 22% coverage.  

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

How do the outdoor groups who have used tarps handle any weather issues?  Do they just not bring out the tarps for that particular performance?

• Like 1

Just now, Fran Haring said:

How do the outdoor groups who have used tarps handle any weather issues?  Do they just not bring out the tarps for that particular performance?

good time to wash the tarp...lol,, they do smell nasty after a while..lol.....seriously though, Tarps could be used for the major shows only , regionals and nationals. I guess depends just on logistics as well as the field itself. grass verses astroturf will also determine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Boston and maybe some other corps could not use certain props last year, I believe, when the weather was bad.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

So by that you mean that Crown always seems to be the first who are behind the curve on trends that are set by high school staff to move those trends into the rhelm of DCI.

I think there is a fine line between risk and reward for World Class corps and that is more the reason for not being the trend setters IMO.  DCI World Class I'd argue is even more competitive these days and the slightest slip in design can cause a corps to slip several placements. Yet, if a new concept is proven or tested to be effective then it is implemented.  A huge tarp across the field I'd imagine would be a HUGE risk item that may or may not pay off. Would it be worth a loss in competitive placement for being the first to try it?  Then again it could garner an extra reward, but in the end how much of that is worth the risk/chance?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

good time to wash the tarp...lol,, they do smell nasty after a while..lol.....seriously though, Tarps could be used for the major shows only , regionals and nationals. I guess depends just on logistics as well as the field itself. grass verses astroturf will also determine.

If the tarp is an integral part of the show design, y'all better get whacked hard in loss of visual points at performances in which it is not in use; and if the tarp is not really an integral part of the show design, as in enough to lose visual point impact when not in use, then what a colossal waste of money, time, and effort for the tarp!

1 minute ago, Stu said:

If the tarp is an integral part of the show design, y'all better get whacked hard in loss of visual points at performances in which it is not in use; and if the tarp is not really an integral part of the show design, as in enough to lose visual point impact when not in use, then what a colossal waste of money, time, and effort for the tarp!

just depends on how its used( as you said )..We all thought the same decades ago when WGI started with the tarps, Yes it's inside which is different but no risk no reward. I think corps will take all that into consideration.

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I think there is a fine line between risk and reward for World Class corps and that is more the reason for not being the trend setters IMO.  DCI World Class I'd argue is even more competitive these days and the slightest slip in design can cause a corps to slip several placements. Yet, if a new concept is proven or tested to be effective then it is implemented.  A huge tarp across the field I'd imagine would be a HUGE risk item that may or may not pay off. Would it be worth a loss in competitive placement for being the first to try it?  Then again it could garner an extra reward, but in the end how much of that is worth the risk/chance?

Oh how I miss Star, Bridgemen, VK.... When DCI was the cutting edge most hs programs aspired to be. Instead we now have staff who innovate at the hs level, using the hs programs to develop the innovations, then copy them into DCI

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

just depends on how its used( as you said )..We all thought the same decades ago when WGI started with the tarps, Yes it's inside which is different but no risk no reward. I think corps will take all that into consideration.

Tarps in winter guard were implimented first and foremost as a practicality to protect the wooden basketball courts, and artistic design followed thereafter. That is a fact.

• Like 1