When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

13 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Tarps greater safety issue than in field percussion judges. More distracting too.

agreed. some notable near wipeouts and some wipeouts the last few years...and here's why:

indoors, tarps on a (hopefully) flat, smooth surface. On a football field, it may be flat ( usually fields have somewhat of a slope built in for draining), but it's not a smooth surface, which means it doesn't lay down and all but suction itself to the field like it will a floor.

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Same case with HS 

BOA doesnt go to stadiums without artificial surfaces

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

I hope never for safety reasons.  They get moldy and seriously just not suited for outside.  

Oh boy members with allergy issues take heed....

i dont see it happening, safety issue with high speed drill is one of many reasons. I live a few miles from OTHS, this was the 2nd year they did this in a row, and it was nearly a disaster at times. i cant tubas doing 6:5 or larger tep size at 180+ on a tarp and not bust their hind end. 

58 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. some notable near wipeouts and some wipeouts the last few years...and here's why:

indoors, tarps on a (hopefully) flat, smooth surface. On a football field, it may be flat ( usually fields have somewhat of a slope built in for draining), but it's not a smooth surface, which means it doesn't lay down and all but suction itself to the field like it will a floor.

Used a tarp on field in the 90's. Invariably the one chunky trumpet player always went down at the exact same point of the show on some wrinkle of the tarp in the same spot. I forget what we did to get him out of the drill.....

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

How do the outdoor groups who have used tarps handle any weather issues?  Do they just not bring out the tarps for that particular performance?

I remember an outside show we hosted a few years ago where one school decided to put the "Yellow Brick Road" on the field as a tarp.  To help their GE score, they contacted the weather man to get some high winds.  Parents had to run onto the field to catch the tarp before Dorothy left......

....................and the rest is history.  :laughing:

The crazy thing is this really did happen.  I believe it was Westfiled High School in Northern Virginia that did the show. Watching the parents run onto the field was something to behold. 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I remember an outside show we hosted a few years ago where one school decided to put the "Yellow Brick Road" on the field as a tarp.  To help their GE score, they contacted the weather man to get some high winds.  Parents had to run onto the field to catch the tarp before Dorothy left......

....................and the rest is history.  :laughing:

The crazy thing is this really did happen.  I believe it was Westfiled High School in Northern Virginia that did the show. Watching the parents run onto the field was something to behold. 

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

i've seen this issue too.