When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

3 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I just also think there are moments, like the beginning of SCV this year to Peter Gabriel, where the prop work was so effective in portraying the music that I couldn’t imagine a drill design that could do the job better. The former is most often the case, but it’s silly to assert that the latter doesn’t exist.

I'm not saying SCV could've done it more effectively without props. I'm saying I would've enjoyed whatever they did do more without props, because my focus would be on the performance of the members, instead of the giant props being pushed apart.

What I want to say: "Wow, look at how clean their feet are."

What I said instead: "Oh, I get it. It's the Tower of Babel breaking apart."

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

That’s the thing, I don’t watch these shows for the “effect.” I watch them to be impressed by the performance. I’m not impressed by props... ever, because they’re not people. They’re extra fluff designed to secure “gimme points” because it’s easier for designers to do that than to generate the effect with the visual design and music arrangement. 

As for Carmel, that was my point. They used to do “DCI shows.” I liked that about them. Now DCI has given into the lame high school garbage, so hardly anyone is doing impressive shows anymore.

SCV was great this year in spite of their props, not because of them. Props are a crutch. Weak design.

Props if integrated well are far from a crutch. SCV and BD this year are great examples of that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I'm not saying SCV could've done it more effectively without props. I'm saying I would've enjoyed whatever they did do more without props, because my focus would be on the performance of the members, instead of the giant props being pushed apart.

What I want to say: "Wow, look at how clean their feet are."

What I said instead: "Oh, I get it. It's the Tower of Babel breaking apart."

You certainly are entitled to your opinion as well as likes and dislikes. Todays member, todays staff, todays audience " Might: disagree" as well as some agreeing. All a matter of taste and ALL subjective.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

It's hardly a conundrum. Flags, rifles, and other guard equipment are tools used in the performance by members. A rifle doesn't toss itself. Flags don't spin on their own. The colorguard uses those tools to perform. They control the tools that should be used to generate GE.

But none of them fit into your  'essence' criteria. Tools are not a part of your human movement essence. Your first wiggle. Ok, how are uniforms, costumes, tools which are controled by the performers?

Darn. Bluecoats could’ve done their smooth criminal show on a big old tarp with Hop’s mugshot on it. Oh well. They already did that show   

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Props if integrated well are far from a crutch. SCV and BD this year are great examples of that 

I ve been to the symphony in the past year or so and there were huge screens, lazers, performers, actually some flag thing performers used. Although there were a few who said" this is NOT a symphony" sound familiar? and the opposing argument was , We are catering to a new audience and need to appeal to a wider group to survive" interesting huh?

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

You certainly are entitled to your opinion as well as likes and dislikes. Todays member, todays staff, todays audience " Might: disagree" as well as some agreeing. All a matter of taste and ALL subjective.

Well sure. That goes without saying for any post on DCP (or any forum, really).

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oof, BD this year was my textbook definition of distracting. Way too much junk scattered all over the field, it just looked messy until it came together at the end. Also way too many shots of members chilling out behind the props, taking a little un-judged rest.

1 minute ago, jeffmolnar said:

Well sure. That goes without saying for any post on DCP (or any forum, really).

oof, BD this year was my textbook definition of distracting. Way too much junk scattered all over the field, it just looked messy until it came together at the end. Also way too many shots of members chilling out behind the props, taking a little un-judged rest.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

But none of them fit into your  'essence' criteria. Tools are not a part of your human movement essence. Your first wiggle. Ok, how are uniforms, costumes, tools which are controled by the performers?

It's not "wiggle" at all, guard equipment is something that's always been a part of the activity. Can't get much more "essential" than that.

Uniforms and costumes obviously aren't, but this is a youth activity so they really should be wearing clothes, don't you think?

Trying to "gotcha" is a bad look. You know exactly what I mean.

You mean like soloists standing there waiting to play for multiple sets?