When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

31 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, if Corps are not going to be heavily deducted in scores when  ( for just one example )a sound engineering malfunction causes either a brass solo or a singer's voice to be completely botched in performance in its delivery to both audience and judges ears alike, 'not sure a tarp's non usage due to weather would be, Stu.

The deeper problem I have concerning this aspect is that an adult sound engineer is directly involved in manipulating the competitive performance in real time.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Stu said:

Live by the tarp die by the tarp. Should be the nature of the game.

Except in Sound Engineering it would appear.

For example,  if a soloist botches a solo due to not playing it correctly, tenths credit can be lost. However, if the solo is botched though a sound engineering goof up, no loss of tenths credit materializes ( it would appear ). It seems the judges will judge what it " might/ should have been " with the solo, not " what it was ". THATS the current " nature of the game " at the moment, it seems to me Stu.

As for full field tarps, I don't think it will be much of an issue in outside, football field, DCI competitions any time soon. I don't think we'll ever see it frankly. It takes too long to fill up a football field and then take down in the allotted time Corps have. Plus, the outdoors weather conditions of possible rain and/ or heavy winds, make the possibility we'll see full football field tarps in the future on real grass football fields probably slim to none, imo. Safety issues galore with this too, imo. Maybe a Corps or two might try it. But it won't be something that we'll see on any grand, permanent scale in DCI long term, imo. So I wouldn't overthink something thats likely not ever going to happen, in my view..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

They sure played a mean pinball.

... "Always gets a replay, never seen 'em fall, ...

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

The deeper problem I have concerning this aspect is that an adult sound engineer is directly involved in manipulating the competitive performance in real time.

True. It would seem so. Its a dicey issue, I suppose,. and DCI judges must be grappling with this, I would imagine. DCI currently does not judge " Audio Sound Engineering " on the judging sheets as a caption. Perhaps they should now, as its  becoming an integral component of the instrumentation/ music sound we hear from the field that enters both the audience and the judges eardrums for assessment.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True. It would seem so. Its a dicey issue, I suppose,. and DCI judges must be grappling with this, I would imagine. DCI currently does not judge " Audio Sound Engineering " on the judging sheets as a caption. Perhaps they should now, as its  becoming an integral component of the instrumentation/ music sound we hear from the field that enters both the audience and the judges eardrums for assessment.

And nowhere on the Miss Universe Swimsuit adjudication sheets does it state anything about judging the, um, 'items' outlined by the suit material either; but the non mentioned items certainly do impact the score. 😇

3 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Alright, I'll explain where I'm coming from... again.

I think true innovation is born from limitations. This isn't a particularly controversial opinion, and I'm not the first person to have it. You see this in every professional sport. There are rules. Some that change over time, some that remain constant. Coaches can have certain plays reviewed using high speed cameras in major league baseball, but the players still can't use aluminum bats. Some things change, some things stay the same.

For me, personally, my opinion (obviously), the marching arts have always been about using music performance and visual proficiency to communicate a theme. I came of age in the early 2000's, so I'm not a hardcore dinosaur or anything. I like the idea of themes being effectively communicated using music and movement. The colorguard has always been a part of this equation. How they perform has evolved over the years, but at the end of the day, the core aspect of utilizing body movement and mastery over equipment has remained largely the same. The "essence" of what they do.

I like that. I like seeing the coolest portrayal of a theme that a group can communicate using the tools that have always been here, with some modern evolution where it makes sense. Like different instrumentation, mic'd solists, vocalists, etc. Stuff that remains true to the essence of performance. Yes, there have always been aspects of drum corps that had nothing to do with performance (uniforms, etc.) They've always been there though, and unlike giant props, they're absolutely necessary. The props don't need to be there. Effective shows could be designed without them.

That's where I'm coming from with it.

"True innovation" comes from many concepts, not JUST one. Sure, working within limits and creating something great  is one way. But...so is looking outside the box and accepting no limits. You can achieve greatness in either approach. You can also achieve junk in either approach...and everywhere in between. 

DCI was formed in part because the corps felt limited by rules like the VFW mandated. We even had a caption called Cadence, where three times in a show the timing judge checked the tempo, and corps got penalized if their tempo was outside a narrowly proscribed range, something close to 126-132 BPM. Were there great shows in that era? Absolutely. I saw my first show around age 10 in 1963, and I have loved it ever since, right up to 2018. Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 1969 is on my all-time favorite list, as is St Lucy's Cadets 1966, and a host of shows from 1971, including my corps (Cadets), the 27th Lancers, Blue Rock and Argonne Rebels. But...so is Blue Devils Felliniesque, Crown's Relentless, BK Avian, Bluecoats Downside Up, and others of the modern era that have integrated props VERY well.

You mention the tools that have always been there. When I started marching in 1964, flags were not spun, nor were rifles. Drumlines only had snares, single tenors, straight bass drums, rudimental basses and cymbals. No mallets, quads, pits, etc. Horns had one valve, and either a slipslide or rotor. 

• Thanks 1

Screw the tarps, I want to see someone to the video boards a la Tarpon Springs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Answer: some members pushed it, it was super impressive. 🙄

You're being silly here.

he's not even warmed up

2 hours ago, Stu said:

And nowhere on the Miss Universe Swimsuit adjudication sheets does it state anything about judging the, um, 'items' outlined by the suit material either; but the non mentioned items certainly do impact the score. 😇

Yes.. I thought I heard that the Miss America (or one of these ) Pageants have eliminated the swimsuit competition. I guess the material that went into making swimsuit itself was getting too controversial as it was made from animal hides ? .., or they thought they shouldn't test the swimming skills of the contestants any longer ? ..... or something like that, I forget .:bigsmile:

Edited by BRASSO