When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

On 1/15/2019 at 7:24 PM, Jake W. said:

I get you, I really do. But the reality is that so much of placement in the upper eschelons of our activity is based on continuity of design, and the performers have very little, and often times nothing, to do with that. It’s just how it is. You mentioned you’re from Texas; the reason many bands have embraced BOA over UIL is because the scoring system in UIL doesn’t account for difficulty or design flaws or strengths. We have as an activity long ago embraced the GE caption as yes, a reflection of the performers selling the material, but also as a reflection of how well the visual design is a manifestation of the music we’re hearing, and vice versa, and if it all makes sense when put together. The kids have nothing to do with that. I get that the kids then perform the design, but they also perform with or on the props that they also didn’t choose. I’m not sure why that’s different. 

If, at the end of the day, O’Fallon (hypothetically) was given spectacular drill and a great music book to make an excellent, top notch show....and then, to highlight the canvas theme, the directors place that same well-performing group and same excellent top-notch show design and the pops of color become much clearer and the theme that the students are portraying becomes clearer than with great music & drill alone....where’s the fault in that?

I actually thought the tarp made it worse.  A LOT of dirt there.  If they are giving points per prop where does it end?  I frankly thought it added zero and actually hurt them from a design standpoint.  Ya they put a tarp out, seen it for decades in WGI.  Now show me something real and new.

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I actually thought the tarp made it worse.  A LOT of dirt there.  If they are giving points per prop where does it end?  I frankly thought it added zero and actually hurt them from a design standpoint.  Ya they put a tarp out, seen it for decades in WGI.  Now show me something real and new.

No one ever proposed giving points out on a per-prop basis even once in this thread.

NO

PITA

These tarps...sigh.  Did anyone catch the video of the band parents putting these tarps out?  The shear number of bodies?  The costs?  I can't imagine a drum corps that wants to drag this stuff around all summer.  If you have ever traveled with a corps you already know the shear number of hours and costs related to moving equipment, sometimes several times a day, add props to the equation, now add this monster?

Windy rehearsal days, packing tarps during a pop up storm, tarping a crappy practice field, tarping a HS football field on a hot sunny day (grass killer), increasing possible injuries 10 fold.  Utter nightmare to think about.  "Okay corps, no tarp for rehearsal, tarps for an hour of ensemble and run.  We cut an hour early to pack the tarp, remember to cut warm up short to roll out the tarp.  Unless it rains, then no tarp.  Oh, I forgot this school doesn't want our tarp on their field tonight."

BD can hire a crew to go on tour and deal with props.  Most other drum corps rely on the members and adults on tour.  Can I tell you how many wasted hours? (In my opinion of course).  Rent a truck....yes a whole truck, this thing isn't going in a bus bay or in with the pit.  Get 1 or 2 drivers to drive your tarp system around.

The designer that submits this idea should be educated by the administration.  The designer that insists on this should be given the opportunity to resign.  The corps that wants to do this should be admonished by the check writers.  Please no, for the love of common sense and the sanity of all involved, please....no.

Edited by jonnyboy

Listen to the crunchy tarp during quieter moments.

We used tarps on occasion with the band I taught...usually small ones. One year we used a large circular one on the 50. It was a terrible decision, esp as we were outside. Parents ended up wearing rolls of duct tape pieces stuck on their pants legs, so they had easy access to try and tape the darn thing down in windy weather. 

31 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Dang thing is nearly sentient in its attempts to run off the field  

28 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

BD can hire a crew to go on tour and deal with props. 

As much as I despise the idea of full field tarps.... If is is not against the rules, and BD can afford to hire the crew, afford to maintain the thing, afford to transport it, why punish them for being succesful enough in their business model to use it?

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

As much as I despise the idea of full field tarps.... If is is not against the rules, and BD can afford to hire the crew, afford to maintain the thing, afford to transport it, why punish them for being succesful enough in their business model to use it?

Who said anything about punishing BD?  They already hire a full time prop staff, mostly kids.  They already hire drivers to drive their props around.  If they wan't to hire 18 tractor trailers full of gear and go on tour with Taylor Swift let them.

I'm just saying it is a nightmare scenario.  I honestly have no opinion on the use of tarps from a design stand point.  My 100% objection is based solely on money and hassle.

7 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Who said anything about punishing BD?  They already hire a full time prop staff, mostly kids.  They already hire drivers to drive their props around.  If they wan't to hire 18 tractor trailers full of gear and go on tour with Taylor Swift let them.

I'm just saying it is a nightmare scenario.  I honestly have no opinion on the use of tarps from a design stand point.  My 100% objection is based solely on money and hassle.

NM

Edited by GUARDLING