When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

Who said anything about punishing BD?  They already hire a full time prop staff, mostly kids.  They already hire drivers to drive their props around.  If they wan't to hire 18 tractor trailers full of gear and go on tour with Taylor Swift let them.

I'm just saying it is a nightmare scenario.  I honestly have no opinion on the use of tarps from a design stand point.  My 100% objection is based solely on money and hassle.

Which is it; you a) are ok with BD using 18 tractor trailers and touring with Taylor Swift, or b) you 100% object to them spending the money with the hassle?  Bit confused here.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Which is it; you a) are ok with BD using 18 tractor trailers and touring with Taylor Swift, or b) you 100% object to them spending the money with the hassle?  Bit confused here.

The answer is A.  B was never an option.

BD isn't the point, sorry for confusing you.  Please forget I mentioned BD, they aren't the focus of my post.

My objection to tarps is solely money and hassle.  If any group really wants to take it on so be it.  I have no objection to a corps or band that can convince themselves this is a good idea.  I think it is a bad idea.  A really bad idea.

16 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

The answer is A.  B was never an option.

BD isn't the point, sorry for confusing you.  Please forget I mentioned BD, they aren't the focus of my post.

My objection to tarps is solely money and hassle.  If any group really wants to take it on so be it.  I have no objection to a corps or band that can convince themselves this is a good idea.  I think it is a bad idea.  A really bad idea.

Thanks for clearing that up. If you are in charge of your DCI organization no go (waste of money too much hassle); but if the person in charge of another DCI organization wants to be (ummmm... el stupido) that is on them.

This may be one of my favorite posts on DCP ever! I’m not a dinosaur opposed to innovation, but for me part of what made DCI special was how the designers could create sounds and visuals within the limitations that they had. Zingali’s “Cross to Cross” would be less impressive if the members did it on go carts. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:08 PM, jeffmolnar said:

I disagree that there was pull and push outside of Texas. I went to a TX “BOA school” and followed the top groups at nationals during that time. Everyone was still chasing The Cavaliers in design. That corps designed circles around most of the top H.S. groups and their cheesy props, voice overs, silly costumes, etc. Cavies got their GE the hard way, without relying on external “crutches.” TX was obviously better about not giving into BOA nonsense, but nationally you still had bands like Carmel and Marian Catholic who would’ve fit right in at the UIL state marching contest.

Doing something wacky and different isn’t inherently “pushing the activity.” It’s just being wacky and different. Covering the entire field with a tarp isn’t a feast for my eyes, because my eyes are rolling into the back of my head. It’s such a juvenile demand for attention. Instead of generating interest with your actual performance, you demand that I pay attention to your giant prop that’s burning a hole in my retinas. Extremely lame, and so very “high school.”

Innovation is born from limitations. You mentioned sports, but I don’t think that comparison works like you want it to. In basketball they might slightly change the rules from time to time, but the court is the same size with 2 hoops at the same height. In soccer they might change how certain penalties work, but they still don’t let you pick up the ball with your hands and run. Coaches have to design their plays around each game’s limitations. That’s what makes them beautiful.

DCI giving in to the BOA prop arms race has been super disappointing for me to watch. That’s not innovation, that’s just claiming freebie GE points because you weren’t a good enough designer to get them the real way. I get why it’s done — it’s an easier, more reliable way of securing GE points. That doesn’t make it more impressive, though, and at the end of the day, that’s what I want out of a DCI show. To be impressed.

• Like 2

The wealthy corps, with the large staffs and creative programs will probably do whatever is necessary to maintain a competitive edge..If tarps can somehow be made safer and reliable, I can see a major corps implementing tarps under those conditions..BUT IT STILL AIN'T DRUMCORPS...LOL

20 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

Egads. Basically, it looks like the Guard staff wanted the Tarp to create a framed, artsy visual moment around 2 minutes. The rest of the time... it really did nothing, maybe provided a depth and Mondrian look to one drill set... and created a lot of falls and awkward moments. Worth it in this case? NO.