When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Tarps in winter guard were implimented first and foremost as a practicality to protect the wooden basketball courts, and artistic design followed thereafter. That is a fact.

actually no...Ert'e and a partial tarp early 80s, and there were a few others and it had nothing to do with protection. Arlinton Admirals ( NY) actually brought out wood planks covered in a checkered pattern to just cover the ugly HS logos center court ) We and I mean we used that as an excuse to those who were against it at the time ( Zengali, Kelly, The Millers, etc etc  also ) guess it worked...lol. It is how it was sold especially to HS programs as well as locations. Not everyone used them or were required to. NOW especially at regionals and even many local shows a 2nd tarp is put down by some programs for protection. Usually to appease athletic directors. 

Edited by GUARDLING

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Oh how I miss Star, Bridgemen, VK.... When DCI was the cutting edge most hs programs aspired to be. Instead we now have staff who innovate at the hs level, using the hs programs to develop the innovations, then copy them into DCI

As someone who taught 2 of the corps you mentioned and my sibling teaching the 3rd the staff attitude even back then was to always keep their eyes opened to something new, innovative, a possible thing we could elaborate on. Ideas even with those corps were just not internal but an eye from all that was around.

And Thank YOU😁

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

Oregon Crusaders? Pioneer?

Too soon?

It would be quiet the disappearing act...

30 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

actually no...Ert'e and a partial tarp early 80s, and there were a few others and it had nothing to do with protection. Arlinton Admirals ( NY) actually brought out wood planks covered in a checkered pattern to just cover the ugly HS logos center court ) We and I mean we used that as an excuse to those who were against it at the time ( Zengali, Kelly, The Millers, etc etc  also ) guess it worked...lol. It is how it was sold especially to HS programs as well as locations. Not everyone used them or were required to. NOW especially at regionals and even many local shows a 2nd tarp is put down by some programs for protection. Usually to appease athletic directors. 

My dad was in a hs honor guard in the fourties and those with weapons were required to put down protection on basketball courts if they did any spin or toss exhibitions. Though I am a drummer, I was around in the sixties and seventies when honor/color guards were also required to place down protection on the basketball courts in case of drops during their exhibitions. Many pre-WGI guards from hs band programs who did routines for halftime exhibitions at basketball games had to do the same. Tarps, and other items, were used for floor protection way before artistic expression. Again that is fact.

Edited by Stu

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

My dad was in a hs honor guard in the fourties and those with weapons were required to put down protection on basketball courts if they did any spin or toss exhibitions. I was around in the sixties when ROTC guards were also required to place down protection on the basketball courts in case of drops during their exhibitions. Many pre-WGI guards from hs band programs who did routines for halftime exhibitions at basketball games had to do the same. Tarps, and other items, were used for floor protection way before artistic expression. Again that is fact.

Never happened at guard shows and I've been doing it for many decades. If that were the case we all would have had to do it when it 1st started..and we didn't

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Many corps have taken shows from the HS arena and vice versa. We are an activity with little seperation from our HS counterparts. Been like that for a few decades now.

Maybe for a decade. During my time in Texas high school band (2000-2003), everyone was still chasing The Cavaliers. There was also the obvious BoA stuff that didn't exist in DCI, largely because (to me, at least) DCI seemed to "above" it. I feel like it's only been a decade or so that we've seen top Wold Class corps just shameless ape the BoA stuff. Eww.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Never happened at guard shows and I've been doing it for many decades. If that were the case well would have had to do it when it 1st started..and we didn't

Notice you said guard shows; I said protection for wooden floors were many times required long before winter guard shows ever existed for real actual honor/color guards using real and actual weapons. And if the athletic directors at the schools you were with early on did not require floor protection then they were idiots.

Edited by Stu

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Maybe for a decade. During my time in Texas high school band (2000-2003), everyone was still chasing The Cavaliers. There was also the obvious BoA stuff that didn't exist in DCI, largely because (to me, at least) DCI seemed to "above" it. I feel like it's only been a decade or so that we've seen top Wold Class corps just shameless ape the BoA stuff. Eww.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Actually been longer than that although what you say is true of some corps. Let's take BDs  Godfather show.I judged the almost exact show the fall before they did it. I might also say some BD people were on that HS staff. I wanna say it was 2005 maybe. The cross over however has been more and more the more drm corps people who do both arenas . 

DCI as you say " Above " it still holds true in many cases for sure, there is just way better bands than ever before maybe and the adaptations from 1 to the other becomes more and more and for very good reasons.,

Edited by GUARDLING