Cadets 1984

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yup... even back then it was mostly about.... "the show".

' Can't imagine any Corps winning a DCI Title... then or now.... if they finish lower than  ( say ) 5th in any GE Caption.

2013 Crown was 6th in drums....just sayin'.

3 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

"That Cadets '84 show was a big hit with both judges and audience alike. Chock full of GE."

Yeah....beat us by 0.9 in that caption.

"Cadets were 8th in Field Percussion in the Prelims, and 9th in Field Percussion on Finals Night in '84."

7th overall....the lowest caption placement by the winner ever.

Now you mention that Sam...

There was graffiti in Swope Hall at West Chester University where several Cadets of note were attending at the time in a practice room.

"Do the Cadets Drummers like their 7th place percussion ring?"

a few days later, scrawled underneath:

YOU BET

• Like 2

Warmups were commonplace back then except 84 Cadets, First warmup of the year was right before their Victory Run.

4 hours ago, BigW said:

There was graffiti in Swope Hall at West Chester University where several Cadets of note were attending at the time in a practice room.

YOU BET

Must have been "Putney Swope" hall..that kind of banter would have worked well there''...lol

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BigW said:

YOU BET

Yep....I'd've taken the ring over the brass title.

Edited by 84BDsop

31 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

w.I've taken the ring over the brass title.

Reminds me of a famous quote from wrestling :fight:  Yea Man - CM Punk quoted on DCP, go figure!   :laughing:

"I've grabbed so many of Vince McMahon's imaginary brass rings, that it's dawned on me that they're just that. Completely imaginary" - CM Punk's shoot feels more relevant now than it did then.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Reminds me of a famous quote from wrestling :fight:  Yea Man - CM Punk quoted on DCP, go figure!   :laughing:

"I've grabbed so many of Vince McMahon's imaginary brass rings, that it's dawned on me that they're just that. Completely imaginary" - CM Punk's shoot feels more relevant now than it did then.

til he couldn't get his way, took his ball and went home.

8 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

2013 Crown was 6th in drums....just sayin'.

Oh true... but I referred to " GE " above. Crown was 6th in Drums in 2013 ( just as Cadets were 9th in drums in '84 ). But in both instances, it was" GE " ( 1st ) that carried the day and allowed both Corps to capture the Titles in both years.

A Corps can win DCI  Title being comparatively subpar ( 6th- 9th ) in Percussion, but its impossible to win a DCI Title, imo, if a Corps has a subpar show design (or Guard today ) compared to their peer groups. No way could a Corps win a DCI Title with a Guard below 5th, or GE scores below 5th.  Its the Show Designs ( adults created ) that carry the day. Just look at all the Corps that have won the Sanford ( best Percussion ) or the Ott ( best Brass ) that did NOT win the DCI Title the last decade or so. Its the GE captions that mostly " git'er done ".... just as it was in '84 when the Cadets won themselves a DC Title that season, despite finishing 9th in Field Percussion ( a marcher execution caption ). The Cadets had a wonderful show in '84.... and lest we forget, the Corps that won the DCI Percussion execution caption at Prelims in '77 (with both Percussion Judges too), finished 15th, and thus failed to even perform/ compete on Finals Night.

Edited by BRASSO

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

til he couldn't get his way, took his ball and went home.

You talking about the Pats? It's going to be cold in Arrowhead subzero may be another ice bowl. The Ole Aumni defense worked out well, have any other tips for Andy?