Class Action lawsuit

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

This is hypotherical, but if an attorney representing all persons who paid fees, (including audition materials and transportation costs) to attend any Oregon Crusaders camp held for 2019 season filed a class action lawsuit against the OC organizarion either in Oregon state courts or Federal court (if there is a valid Federal case to be made), would there be a good chance of a judgement against the OC organization?

If potential members were reimbursed, very well. I suspect they have not been.  Seems like false advertising if the corps actively recruited and held camps, then pulled the plug after people already paid $.

Camp fees - no.  Tour fees - yes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Stevens is hardly the sole reason why OC is not coming out this summer. As stated to you in other threads, there were issues brought up last summer that caused most if not all of the staff to leave and a multitude of the kids as well.

Yes, I mention Pro Mart because of the endorsement, It was the first time I heard of a drum corps endorsement on anything and under different circumstances, it would be a great thing. Now that individual has abused his endorsement making it tougher for others in the activity to get one. There is all kinds of damage here all pointed at one culprit. Who abused his status for his own perversion while professionally pledging himself to a higher standard that he breached.

I don't know are Stevens Sticks still available? Was there any reaction at all from Pro Mart?

20 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I don't know are Stevens Sticks still available?

Malletech Stevens Marimba Mallets Set of 4 (2 Matched Pairs) I have not idea if this is the same Stevens, out there available online.

38 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Yes, I mention Pro Mart because of the endorsement, It was the first time I heard of a drum corps endorsement on anything and under different circumstances, it would be a great thing. Now that individual has abused his endorsement making it tougher for others in the activity to get one. There is all kinds of damage here all pointed at one culprit. Who abused his status for his own perversion while professionally pledging himself to a higher standard that he breached.

I don't know are Stevens Sticks still available? Was there any reaction at all from Pro Mart?

Just take a look at a drum stick manufacturer...LOTS of sticks with personalized instructor names.

Click on this link. for instance....  Vic Firth Marching Percussion Snare Sticks

The Stevens mallets you noted are for the noted Leigh Stevens...  175_stevens.jpg

Malletech also has many endorsed mallets...here is one page of marimba mallets

Edited by MikeD

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

lick on this link. for instance....  Vic Firth Marching Percussion Snare Sticks

On a search on Vic Firth Stevens comes up in the 2-23-15 series 18 podcast which is unavailable today. Read into it want you want looks like Vic Firth is doing the right thing and Pro Mart as well. I initially found the Stevens mallet on the Musicians Friend site and associated it with Pro Mart their site may have erased him as well.

My point is I am surprised there was still anything professionally associating him with sticks. He as a heralded member of his profession abused his mentor status in the most horrible way. I don't know who he made his deal with? Malletech is the common dominator.

Providing his sticks to the fine young ladies that play these instruments today in any musical environment is a mockery to all that is right in this world.

Giff Howarth 4 Mallet Lesson Series 18: A Wrap Up of the Stevens Approach

February 23, 2015

45 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Malletech also has many endorsed mallets

Good research maybe Leigh deserves his full name on the mallets.

51 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Just take a look at a drum stick manufacturer...LOTS of sticks with personalized instructor names

I did and I do apologize to Leigh, but the point still stands the only endorsement that I am concerned about is Mike Stevens and they are still for sale today. Am I the only one that finds this questionable. What kind of message this sends? Hurry site says only six sets left (more on the way). Better grab a set now so when dci is next to the dinos at your local museum you have something pertinent to donate. 

https://www.amazon.com/Promark-Stevens-TS7-Tenor-Stick/dp/B000EENM9S

To answer the original question, virtually all corps have a specific disclosure on member documents that any and all fees are NOT refundable.  This primarily exists to protect themselves from contract members who drop late in the year and the hole has to be filled.  Hard to ask a member in may for 3K or more.  But the disclosures encompass all fees.

They have the discretion to act on a case by case situation but it rarely happens.

3 minutes ago, endy29 said:

They have the discretion to act on a case by case situation but it rarely happens

If I have this correct the case is about completed tours where OC did not exhibit adequate Health & Safety measures and it resulted in a breach of contract. That Stevens and other off the field issues affected the MM's and staff. So much that they believe they can meet the burden of truth necessary for a civil suit.
Lawyers look to expand liability to the deepest pockets one of those off the field issues would be looking to Pro Mart into what kind of message are they still sending. Sticks & Stones may break your bones but Pro Mart endorsements may jeopardize your kid.

11 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

If I have this correct the case is about completed tours where OC did not exhibit adequate Health & Safety measures and it resulted in a breach of contract. 

You do not have it correct. The original poster posed a hypothetical question that specifically refers to the 2019 season.