Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

2 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Can someone clarify if I have read this wrong? The offer to OC and Pio members caused the end to Arsenal’s Open Class review. 

Somehow that appears to be the case, but no news from the DCI side of things, so can't confirm.

If true, cue the meme of DCI sweeping sexual assault under the rug, while subsequently chastising a corps for trying to do right by marching members.

• Like 3

Something seems fishy about this.  Looking just at the info at the moment from all the facebook post, Arsenal's director offered members from OC and Pioneer discounted spots on his way back from the January meeting.  DCI said that's this is most shameful thing you could have ever done, no drum corps for you.  The director resigns, and there are Arsenal members that have travel plans and flights going to Albuquerque this weekend for no drum corps camp.  Now you have three corps with members and staff that have limited places to go.  Right?

IMO opinion he was fired for the non-inclusive tour fees. Giving Pio & OC a reduction. The big babies do not what that kind of creativity (way out of the box). The uproar could have come from within (why am I paying more) 

Or other corps directors didn't like it or another outside source

I have been following Arsenal. Posted a quote about their progress summing up a great meeting. This did not happen until after the discount was announced and not till OC announced going inactive.

According to Arsenal, their application would not be presented to DCI till early spring dci had noting to reject. They were turned down before the application. What else could it be? What about their status in sound sport?

Edited by Bluzes

Addendum- the director said he "expresses solidarity" with the members of OC and Pio when those corps put their members "in harms way" and offered discounted dues for Arsenal. 

42 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Can someone clarify if I have read this wrong? The offer to OC and Pio members caused the end to Arsenal’s Open Class review. 

No there was no review the application was not scheduled to be completed till early spring. This is an arbitrary decision by dci to stop the application process. They had nothing to review. Something happened between the Arenal Director on Sunday posting on Reddit how great the meetings were and was happy with the direction dci is heading. (I will look for the post)
Then the bright idea that all of us loved came out about the offer and now this. It paints it's own picture.

It is with sadness that I announce my resignation as CEO/Corps Director of Arsenal Performing Arts.

This journey began three years ago with a plan. That plan became a drum corps. That drum corps became a family.

I began Arsenal with the goal of giving young people the tools they need to succeed. I knew it would be a hard road, but I had high hopes that our vision would attract other people and that together we could build something great.

On Sunday, following a return from the Drum Corps International Annual Meeting, I made a social media post on Reddit that expressed solidarity with the members of the Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer organizations and admonished the leaders who had put their students in harm’s way. This post was made with the best possible intentions and offered students from those corps a home with Arsenal. This post was made following a sleepless week, and while it was meant to be a bright light in a dark time, it resulted in the suspension of Arsenal’s Open Class evaluation by DCI for the 2019 season.

2019 marks Arsenal’s third year in existence. It marks three years of me trying my hardest to do right by my students, and to create an organization that could lead by example. But it also marks three years of me working full-time without pay, spending thousands of dollars of my own money to support the corps, and giving up substantial opportunities in order to remain in Albuquerque and build the organization. I do not regret doing these things, but the decision to suspend our evaluation has put me in a position to reevaluate where I am in my life and where I want to go. Simply put, running Arsenal has been a great burden on me, especially in terms of my mental health. To go forward into an uncertain future, with a dark cloud hanging over the organization, simply is not a choice I can make in good conscience. While I love the SoundSport program dearly, I cannot continue to run Arsenal and support myself without a strong membership, and that membership simply cannot exist within the SoundSport model.

I will support the Arsenal Board of Directors moving forward, and will help them to either find a new director to take my place, or to sell Arsenal’s assets to cover the organization’s debts prior to dissolution. I am thankful to all of the wonderful sponsors who stepped forward to support Arsenal; to the strangers who stood with us; to the students who took the risk to become members of an organization that was unproven but hungry. And above all I am thankful to all the people who trusted me: a 23-year-old with a dream, a pair of hands, and the desire to give back to my community.

I will end this by saying that I stand by the sentiments I expressed in the original Reddit post. Drum Corps students pay thousands of dollars and endure countless physical hardships for the sake of participating in this activity. It is disgusting that there are people who take advantage of these students; who jeopardize their mental and physical health out of gross negligence, lack of foresight, and perversion. Student health and safety should never take a backseat to the preservation of a brand, and I will always stand on the field with the students, rather than in the press box.

To all of Arsenal’s students, staff, sponsors and volunteers: with my fist to my heart, I salute you.

• Thanks 2

Someone just texted me the original Reddit post.  Most of it should have not been posted except for the discounted dues part.  Sometimes it's best to write a post, step away, edit it, and then not post it. I learned the hard way on that one, too. 

1 minute ago, wilkituba said:

Someone just texted me the original Reddit post.  Most of it should have not been posted except for the discounted dues part.  Sometimes it's best to write a post, step away, edit it, and then not post it. I learned the hard way on that one, too. 

What is wrong with what he said?