Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

I posted that from personal experience. A couple years after I aged out, I got involved with a group called Hypnotix for a very brief time. The director at the time was quite young, hyped the corps up big time but at the end of the day, didn't have the sort of connections, experience or financing to pull it together and the drum corps effort very quickly flamed out. 

There was even a little brouhaha about it here:, for anyone who feels like hopping into the Wayback machine.

And with respect to directors from the 70's, I would think that starting a drum corps from scratch is a MUCH steeper hill to climb in this day and age than it was then.

34 minutes ago, Galen said:

I posted that from personal experience. A couple years after I aged out, I got involved with a group called Hypnotix for a very brief time. The director at the time was quite young, hyped the corps up big time but at the end of the day, didn't have the sort of connections, experience or financing to pull it together and the drum corps effort very quickly flamed out. 

There was even a little brouhaha about it here:, for anyone who feels like hopping into the Wayback machine.

And with respect to directors from the 70's, I would think that starting a drum corps from scratch is a MUCH steeper hill to climb in this day and age than it was then.

Let me give you my opinion, straight with no chaser. Your anctedotal experience aside, if you aren’t outraged by this, you aren’t paying attention.

IMO.

Nothing personal. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, PricklyPear said:

That first paragraph is a little heavy-handed - would it really be the reason DCI suspended their application? 

If so, then DCI just gave a giant gut punch to all those kids.   

something seems really odd. DCi has said nothing, and those there that give me info seem perplexed. I am thinking there's a lot more to this story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Do you mean “within” DCI?  I feel you’re not communicating this very well at all. 

no several posts today have been head scratchers

• Haha 1

I understand people’s frustration with DCI and this decision. DCI has not done a great deal to earn trust or confidence of drum corps fans. I do not believe the rejection of Arsenal’s application is due to the attempt to recruit members from Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer, and DCI could have valid reasons for rejecting the application. I don’t know what DCI can and cannot say regarding the application process, but words must have been delivered to Arsenal in writing, so it would be helpful for Arsenal to release that information. If it is because Arsenal violated DCI’s social media policy, as some on Reddit are suggesting, that calls for a slap on the wrist for a young director, not a rejection of the application. We also need to remember  corps such as Guardians, River City Rhythm, and Louisiana Stars had two or three years under their belts before competing in Open Class.

However, I will have to admit I had some concerns about Arsenal’s post. Arsenal’s invitation was wonderful, the financial discount generous, and I do not question the director’s sincerity, but given the seriousness of what has happened with Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer, can a corps that has not had a national tour or endured the rigors of Open Class, speak less of World Class, make such promises? Proven track records are critical. This is not to say that horrible things would have happened, but I think corps such as Surf, 7th Regiment, Cascades, Spartans, or Raiders are in a better position to make these promises. 

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I understand people’s frustration with DCI and this decision. DCI has not done a great deal to earn trust or confidence of drum corps fans. I do not believe the rejection of Arsenal’s application is due to the attempt to recruit members from Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer, and DCI could have valid reasons for rejecting the application. I don’t know what DCI can and cannot say regarding the application process, but words must have been delivered to Arsenal in writing, so it would be helpful for Arsenal to release that information. If it is because Arsenal violated DCI’s social media policy, as some on Reddit are suggesting, that calls for a slap on the wrist for a young director, not a rejection of the application. We also need to remember  corps such as Guardians, River City Rhythm, and Louisiana Stars had two or three years under their belts before competing in Open Class.

However, I will have to admit I had some concerns about Arsenal’s post. Arsenal’s invitation was wonderful, the financial discount generous, and I do not question the director’s sincerity, but given the seriousness of what has happened with Oregon Crusaders and Pioneer, can a corps that has not had a national tour or endured the rigors of Open Class, speak less of World Class, make such promises? Proven track records are critical. This is not to say that horrible things would have happened, but I think corps such as Surf, 7th Regiment, Cascades, Spartans, or Raiders are in a better position to make these promises. 

more and more organizations have social media policies...I am wondering if how he worded some of the statement is what caused the problem. The offer great...and while I don't disagree with anything he said about PIo and OC....maybe the wording was too harsh?

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

more and more organizations have social media policies...I am wondering if how he worded some of the statement is what caused the problem. The offer great...and while I don't disagree with anything he said about PIo and OC....maybe the wording was too harsh?

It was the truth though. Anyone who doesn't agree with what was said in that statement has no business being in a leadership positions at DCI.

• Thanks 1