Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

Hope this is still at home with the issues in this thread: Is DCI understaffed?

Certainly isn’t unusual for nonprofits to have fewer staff members than their missions or ambitions require. I’m still stuck on what would seem a relatively simple management practice of having your communications people tied into the decision-making process. So you inform privately,  announce in public, and tell your side of the story in a deliberate way nearly all at once.

• Like 1

After thorough consideration, Arsenal's Open Class evaluation was put on hold as a result of its representatives publicly disparaging other DCI organizations. The action offered Arsenal an opportunity to correct the issue, but the organization's leadership chose not to discuss options for moving forward. Unfortunately, this left DCI with no recourse but to suspend the corps' application for Open Class evaluation for the 2019 season.

I am at a loss for words.  So DCI lets pedophilia and sexual harassment run for decades and then comes down on an organization for offering people with no where to go have somewhere to go.  Unless I am missing something here.  Also, Pioneer isn't part of DCI.....  Looks to me like DCI has little man syndrome.  Look over here we are tough...forget about all the other stuff.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gizmit26 said:

After thorough consideration, Arsenal's Open Class evaluation was put on hold as a result of its representatives publicly disparaging other DCI organizations.

I been around DCP for a while and know that burden of proof is important some posters give Fred a lot of leeway in that area. GH even comes up as innocent until proven guilty. Where is the burden of proof in this case? The man is speaking in general terms about an issue concerning all youth activities in a healing manner. Where is the disparaging part that actually calls out other DCI organizations? Why would dci jump to the conclusion that "the man on the street" would view this guy using these heartfelt words as a threat to the origination and not Fred? It's all upside down.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gizmit26 said:

After thorough consideration, Arsenal's Open Class evaluation was put on hold as a result of its representatives publicly disparaging other DCI organizations. The action offered Arsenal an opportunity to correct the issue, but the organization's leadership chose not to discuss options for moving forward. Unfortunately, this left DCI with no recourse but to suspend the corps' application for Open Class evaluation for the 2019 season.

So, either DCI is lying about providing an opportunity or the Arsenal staff are lying. Seems in this instance there's very little wiggle room in between. 

If DCIs "opportunity to correct" was having the Director issue a retraction and/or apology to Pio and OC, Im happy he chose to walk away. He simply put into a statement what most people were thinking. IMO he said what should have been said a long time ago by DCIand nothing he said was incorrect, even if it could have benefited from a pass over from a PR firm. 

As a parent who has spent quite a bit of money supporting touring MMs, I am repulsed. It's clear where the powers of DCI put their priorities and it's not with member safety. No matter how much fluff they cast about or how many dog and pony shows they host, by admonishing this group (and this individual) in such a heavy handed way while throwing a wet blanket over the real dumpster fires have shown fully exactly where the priorities lie. I've never been so happy that my daughter chose not to march this year. 

• Like 2

so... I guess we know why other corps do not speak out about issues in DCI.

Guess the light isn't getting shined where it needs to on other issues because of policies like this.

This is a new level to circling the wagons.

Sexual predators? no problem

sexual assault? no problem

unsafe travel practices? no problem

mistreating kids? no problem

noting publicly that another corps was doing any of these things? BAN

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, soccerguy315 said:

Guess the light isn't getting shined where it needs to on other issues because of policies like this.

Exactly.

Absolutely disgusting behavior by DCI. They should be ashamed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

I’m holding for the official DCI response but thinking of ye olde thingee of paying lip service to bosses not a problem, standing up to them when you disagree is a problem

I too have been sitting on the sideline for this one until more comes out, but with DCI's official note on this, it's hard to imagine ANYONE thinking this was a rational move as well as ignoring the timing of it all. This decision reeks of ham-fisted & clumsy leadership, and truly puts the organization in a bad light. I'm with everyone else posting --- I know this was not DCI's intent, but this decision reads to the public as puritanical, gliding by sexual harassment & member mistreatment for decades, then sententious & moralizing when a group happened to publicly comment on it. How could they not have realized this was the OPPOSITE look desired in this pivotal time for the organization?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I’m curious as to what remedy action DCI offered Arsenal, which was then refused.

It's all hearsay no burden of proof just a way for them to weasel out duck their head in the sand. They forget there is a very astute press, other social sites on their tail. They are not using any of this mans heartfelt, healing words, who is dci kidding?

We all seen these same words at the beginning of this thread. They were received with rave reviews full of likes and quotes of the day. Not one poster on DCP took offense to the comments. Nobody picked up on anything disparaging and now some of the same posters are jumping all over this and defending dci, obviously w/o a mind of their own. We can add to the collateral damage exposing the shills dci placed them in a tough spot and some turned some on a dime. Perception is reality.