Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

6 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

If saying that corps shouldn't abuse their members is considered disparaging, there's a HUGE problem. Arsenal did everything they should have and then some. No reasonable person would interpret that post as anything even objectionable.

Not only that, the director started the corps because he had been verbally abused by a staff member and also didn’t have his physical injuries taken care of properly and has chronic back  pain.  At 23.  

His efforts were to make his corps a good place to march.  So DCI decides to crush him like a grape.  

I can’t decide if I’m sad, incredibly ###### off, or both simultaneously. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, ShamrockTuba said:

Roughly half of the world class corps have employed music educators who were disciplined for misconduct with students. 2 were punished. One of them was primarily punished for other reasons.

I only see one that was really "punished" (and in their case, primarily for other reasons).

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I am not defending DCI in their decision to drop Arsenal from OC evaluation. At this juncture I now see it as a jump reaction and rather draconian. That said, did anyone else beside me catch this statement in the article: "Lotz said he had been unaware of DCI’s social media policy but acknowledged that his statement was in violation."  Whether or not any of us thinks the decision was draconian, or we point to something like OJ Simpson likely got away with murder due to his star status, an infraction did occur and was acknolodged as such by Lotz. He goes on to defend his Reddit posting, but even he admitted it defied DCI rules.

Yes, I saw that.  I also saw when he posted private communication with DCI on an open Facebook page, including contact telephone numbers not intended to be made public.  He should face consequences for those actions.

Which brings us back to the far more important point.  He, not the entire corps, should face consequences.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluzes said:

The issue is WE all thought it was good. go back and read the first few posts. they were the only folks who took offense they were mad and let their emotions rule the day and it backfired. Nothing more. Where is the disagreement?

It’s their circuit, so their thoughts are what matters. DCI has shown time and time and time again on a wide variety of issues what WE think doesn’t factor into their decision making, so now when every single thing they do is scrutinized 1,000,000,0000,000,000 more than ever why would they change?

i for one want to see what he emailed back to DCI. 

7 hours ago, Stu said:

The 2018 Drum Corps International Community Code of Conduct, Ethical Guidelines, and Expectations for Participating Organizations; Page 9; Section IX makes it clear.

If memory serves, what I find ironic is that I think you, Bluzes, have stated in a previous thread that you are 100% for companies invading the social media of people, and you are for the companies taking action concerning personal as well as professional postings they find offensive. And I think that you also stated that you even gave your employeer access to your wife's Facebook page in return for a promotion. Therefore you should be praising Dan for taking action about a social media posting that even the Arsenal Director believes clearly violates the official published code!

Oh I heart you

I must say, there is a “feeding frenzy” going on right now. I can’t remember DCP ever being this restless. The latest matter, Arsenal, is not something I fully understand. But, why should I?   Now just a fan, I’m not entitled to every detail underlying decisions DCI makes on a daily basis.

It’s entirely possible the ambitious, young corps director was far more active with his public expressions of disgust over the present state of DCI.  Did he take it upon himself to directly contact individual marching young people from active rosters other than his own? Corporate sponsors, various news outlets and several other corps directors?  All in a manner that created a collective “Who IS this guy?” 

Perhaps, his aggressiveness (beyond the discount offer) was too alienating for some at this time.  I’ve been seen this same way over the years, frankly.

It appears, Dan Acheson determined it’s better to wait a while longer on this particular application. That’s his call. He’ll face any repercussions. I’m confident DCI will sort this out and continue on. Sure hope so!

Don’t burn down the house because the roof leaks.

7 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Thats just fancy words on paper it's not clear at all. Let us give dci the benefit of doubt and believe dci had a thought process and contingency plans. Weighing out the possible internal and external collateral damage. It's called damage control of a Reddit post.

Option 1 reprimand the young Sound Sport director. Let the reddit post sink down the reddit rabbit hole and be gone. This thread would be a happy thread and I can drink my Blue Moons w/o question.

Option 2 risk everything run a sequel called dcihead- revisited in the national press. Put it out there for the school administers to see. Knowing that the GH trial will be all over the news soon. Cause monetary damage to folks they don't know and knock some kids out of dci. Lose a OC corps and ruin a young man that's only trying to help. 

Option 2 becomes the preferred method to handle this situation because a vague rule that has not been used in a while takes precedent and dci's moral compass does not allow anything else. Is this mic on is this mic working because they sure got it wrong and posters can see this clearly that this was the only option.And I am the one drinking?

School administrators will appreciate that dci has a social media policy as many schools are creating them as well

7 hours ago, Stu said:

It just now hit me, I think that you are also the same poster who believes this about many other official documents; like those which founded a certain nation.

No politics 

As I stated in another thread........

To paraphrase PR 2008, and a few movies............

I AM ARSENAL!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bone-Tone Lord said:

If saying that corps shouldn't abuse their members is considered disparaging, there's a HUGE problem. Arsenal did everything they should have and then some. No reasonable person would interpret that post as anything even objectionable.

I agree to a point. But there’s another thought:

i am in sales. I sell me, my company, my team. When trying to win customers I don’t bash other places that donor used to do what I do. It turns people off. So I were to run a corps and I was trying to recruit kids, I’m going to sell what we offer. I’m not bringing up other corps.