Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

most legitimate businesses which take care of youth do not 'rely' on the youth to financially keep the business in the black. 

have you ever run a youth organization?  I have (and always in the black) and the ONLY income was the youths' tuition.  I don't know a sports club that doesn't operate the same way, since there are virtually no other sources of income.

17 minutes ago, ouooga said:

So, I thought about this more last night, and stand further behind my decision that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

DCI's evaluation for Arsenal was planned to take place soon. As a part of that evaluation, DCI evaluates the qualifications and competency of Arsenal's staff. Considering the breaking of the rules by the Director, DCI does have every right to decide that the corps is not fit because of decisions made by its leadership at the evaluation.

The decision was not that Arsenal wasn't fit for OC; it was that the Director wasn't fit, and the consequence was a punishment to Arsenal. Basically, as I see it, if DCI had repremanded just the Director (request his resignation) that would have been fair, and to decide Arsenal wasn't fit for tour as a result of this would have been fair, but to rescind the entire evaluation as punishment to one individual, that's just malice.

I cannot believe I am going to defend DCI but..... It is not the responsibility of DCI during the process to dictate that the applying corps leadership to be let go; all DCI does during the process is state at the end you passed, or no you did not, and they can also put a stop to the application anytime during the process.  In this case the leadership of the corps breached the rules set forth by DCI before even being accepted to the OC; even the corps director admitted to that, and DCI made a call that the breach was sufficient to stop the process for this season.  It is up to the corps to rectify the problem and resubmit the app for next season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eleran said:

have you ever run a youth organization?  I have (and always in the black) and the ONLY income was the youths' tuition.  I don't know a sports club that doesn't operate the same way, since there are virtually no other sources of income.

That may be the case for a baseball or soccer club but we all know that the money involved in running a drum corps goes well beyond what can be provided from season to season on member dues alone.

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, there IS the option that someone inform school districts hosting Crossmen this summer about the serious actions taken by their director (hiring an instructor knowing full well of his loss of teaching license fr sexual misconduct with a student) as well as allegations against the director (scrubbing this information from the internet).

How many school districts want to open themselves up to this kind of scrutiny?  

Thats the risk that Corps Directors take.... and DCI HQ allow under their watch.... when high risk individuals with known violations are hired in Corps. The fact that DCI and its membership Corps are willing to take or retain, ( or attempt to bury that past with offenders it hires ) does not mean school districts are willing to take on these risks. Its knowledge now that Corps have taken on lots of high risk individuals, that schools were so convinced they remained high risks to the schools, that they were disallowed to be on any school grounds anywhere in the state during the terms the offender agreed to with the State the violation(s) occurred.

if Schools decide now they want to share in the risk with these Corps traveling overnight onto their school grounds, I'm ok with it. If it was me however, I would never have hired these people, nor retained them as I'm a " one strike and you're out " kind of guy when it comes to sex abuse incidents by adult instructors. supervisors with minors. If DCI Corps find that school housing sites become a future issue fior them, well, I suppose they understood the risk the hire presented here with this, right ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I cannot believe I am going to defend DCI but..... It is not the responsibility of DCI during the process to dictate that the applying corps leadership to be let go; all DCI does during the process is state at the end you passed, or no you did not, and they can also put a stop to the application anytime during the process.  In this case the leadership of the corps breached the rules set forth by DCI before even being accepted to the OC; even the corps director admitted to that, and DCI made a call that the breach was sufficient to stop the process for this season.  It is up to the corps to rectify the problem and resubmit the app for next season.

Finally someone with a non-emotional response that looks at just this situation!! No, yeah but GH!! or What about Fred Morrison!! 

Stu for the win.

• Like 1

Just now, Spatzzz said:

That may be the case for a baseball or soccer club but we all know that the money involved in running a drum corps goes well beyond what can be provided from season to season on member dues alone.

Perhaps, but Stu's statement took the subject well beyond the realm of drum corps.    Then again, I disagree that drum corps can not make it on tuition alone, especially at the open level, when we all know that they are getting very little in the way of sponsorships or donations anyway.   They may have to be creative in managing expenses, but I'm guessing the tuition-to-income ratio is a lot higher than most people think as you travel down the competitive scale.

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How many school districts want to open themselves up to this kind of scrutiny? 

None but they don't need prodding from posters on DCP to make that happen. I did a lot of soul searching and having Fred on board is a really bad thing from the perception standpoint. However it's not fair to take it out on the whole corp. We now know how hard it is for even an aspiring Sound Sport director to dissolve himself from the team. It must be twice as tough to remove WC director they are not all RB's but do have personal exposure that may take months to work out and what are the Crossmen or any WC Corp to do go inactive, nobody wants that.

Edited by Bluzes

2 minutes ago, Eleran said:

A) Up until I recently retired I was in charge of a youth organization as a volunteer. Under my tenure we always stayed in the black. Membership dues for the youth are a part of the revenue, but only a very small part. The organization owns and runs a thrift shop, does other major fund-raisers, has a few non-related activities in which corporate taxes must be paid, has many altruistic donors, and has someone dedicated to applying for grant, after grant, after grant. If for some reason the organization drops in member dues some side projects would need to be adjusted, but no debt would occur. Moreover, I would never, ever have filled out an application in order to take the organization into a situation with increased expenditures unless I knew full well we could cover it without relying on the youth dues! Much better to stay at home in the black than risk the kids out on the road in the red!

B) In DCI, not only BD and SCV, but other corps even in the OC are now very business savvy; they know this is a business which facilitates the activities of youth, not a youth activity to be paid for by the youth.  They do still have dues, but the dues are not relied upon to keep the corps in the financial black. Also they will limit their touring, limit their growth, and limit their upward movement in OC or WC based on finances not competitive wishes. DCI should, and I think now is, evaluating new applicants based on a business first mentality.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What Aresenal director did wasn’t wrong. He spoke some pretty obvious truth. If not, please point out to me the portions that were factually incorrect. So now, because he spoke disparagingly of sexual harassers and abusers of MMs, he gets tossed. Just insanely horrible optics on the part of Dan Acheson. There must be a bunker mentality going on at DCI right now. 

Then IllianalancerContra got an idea.  An awful idea.  IllianalancerContra got an awful, wonderful idea! ($0.04 to Dr Seuss (because$0.02 wasn't enough):  Bunker mentality makes me think of the 'Downfall / Hitler finds out' videos.  Something like 'Hitler finds out DCI suspended Arsenal'...

If you don't know what I am talking about go to youtube & enter Hitler finds out

• Like 1
  • Haha 2