Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

...and Exxon would be evil for doing so and would rightly be called out on social media and on Internet communities like ClimateChangePlanet.

Absolutely not true. The quoted post said this:

"You sign you name and your title and company name to said post."

VERY few large companies would let something like that slide. If you are not authorized to speak for the company, you had better not sign a post with the company name and your title. Many of these companies require that you not discuss in social media any issues impacting their business even if you leave those items off, and you had to sign an agreement as part of your employment. Don't want to sign? Find a different job. It does not make them evil; you made the choice to work there under their policies and procedures. In an "at will" world of employment we have today, either side is able to end that employment for just about any reason. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I went back and read his posting. He did start with the words 'on behalf of myself' but then added 'and Arsenal Performing Arts'. Then he proceded to post the rest with the authority of being a leader of the organization. Therefore throughout the entire post he was an official representative of Arsenal not just an individual providing personal opinion. What happens then? He faces the coniquences of his actions.

...... and " that consequence " was for DCI to attempt to silence him and his Corps through 2019 as a potential competitor in Open Class for essentially repeating what had already been disclosed in newspapers across the Land, and  in which DCI HQ itself even agreed with, as they metered out the penalties for these Corps itself for it.

DCI faced " consequences " too for DCI HQ's overreaction and overly harsh penalty.  What " happens next ". ? Its fair to conclude that now in the eyes of the public at large that learned about this, that DCI is a rogue organization comprised of too many adult misfits with peculiar priorities running things there. This was " the consequence " of DCI HQ's actions here that we should not overlook when it comes to the discussion revolving around the " the consequences " of one's actions.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

...... and " that consequence " was for DCI to attempt to silence him and his Corps through 2019 as a potential competitor in Open Class for essentially repeating what had already been disclosed in newspapers across the Land, and  in which DCI HQ itself even agreed with, as they metered out the penalties for these Corps itself for it.

DCI faced " consequences " too for Dan Acheson's overreaction and overly harsh penalty. Its fair to conclude that now in the eyes of the public at large, that DCI is a rogue organization comprised of too many adult misfits with peculiar priorities running things there. This was " the consequence " for Dan Acheson's actions here that we should not overlook when it comes to the discussion revolving around the " the consequences " of one's actions.

The eyes of the world are watching, DCI.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

2 hours ago, Stu said:

True, just because Dan can do somthing does not mean he should; but it is still his call to make. We all have on restropect wished we had made another call. And Dan may look back at this in that light. But the buck rightly stops at the person with the authority to make the call.

Ah, so it would be wrong to say "the buck stops with everybody". I agree!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

DCI faced " consequences " too for Dan Acheson's actions. Its fair to conclude that now in the eyes of the public at large, that DCI is a rogue organization comprised of too many adult misfits with peculiar priorities running things there.

Look, I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the actions Dan took. What I will stand on, however, is once the Arsenal Director typed the posting as an official representative of a DCI SoundSport corps applying to become a DCI OC corps, the DCI Director had every right to apply that posting to the standards set forth in the published 2018 DCI Code and act on it the way he saw fit. I may not like the decision, but I will stand firm that it was Dan's to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

To become a national touring corps in DCI, yes. Never again should DCI allow corps with business management styles and financial models like Teal, Revo, the newer VK, Lone Star, etc to tour. A corps should prove that they are in the black before tour, during tour, and after tour or not allowed to tour at all. So yes to what you just posted.

Thanks for the directness and clarity of this reply.

22 minutes ago, MikeD said:

What he could have done is highlight the good things his group is doing along these lines, without actually disparaging other groups. Don't forget, he himself noted he violated the policy once he saw it.

"once he saw it"

So basically a rookie mistake?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Look, I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the actions Dan took. What I will stand on, however, is once the Arsenal Director typed the posting as an official representative of a DCI SoundSport corps applying to become a DCI OC corps, the DCI Director had every right to apply that posting to the standards set forth in the published 2018 DCI Code and act on it the way he saw fit. I may not like the decision, but I will stand firm that it was Dan's to make.

And that is the problem. I think it is time for new blood to occupy the judgement seat. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DCI faced " consequences " too for Dan Acheson's actions. Its fair to conclude that now in the eyes of the public at large, that DCI is a rogue organization comprised of too many adult misfits with peculiar priorities running things there.

I still can't figure out why they just don't throw in the towel. That is the higher ground right now. The healing move to show they have a heart and are big enough to admit they overacted. The MM's over at Reddit are just as outraged as DCP. The kids get their point across in a very visual way especially these kids and the graphics they created today will be around for a while. That's why lemons make good lemonade dci needs some good lemonade right now.  

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"once he saw it"

So basically a rookie mistake?

Again not defending Dan, but even though this mistake was rather innocuous, rookie mistakes like not knowing the rules and regulations while directing an OC corps on a National tour can potentially be costly for the youth.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 1