Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"once he saw it"

So basically a rookie mistake?

...that would cost Arsenal another year in Soundsport, at which time they could apply for Open class again. DCI did not ban them from Soundsport. If his group is looking to become an Open class member of DCI, don't you think their director/CEO should be aware of the rules and abide by them? 

Having said that, I am not sure I would have taken the route DCI took, but that is just my take.

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Absolutely not true. The quoted post said this:

"You sign you name and your title and company name to said post."

VERY few large companies would let something like that slide. If you are not authorized to speak for the company, you had better not sign a post with the company name and your title. Many of these companies require that you not discuss in social media any issues impacting their business even if you leave those items off, and you had to sign an agreement as part of your employment. Don't want to sign? Find a different job. It does not make them evil; you made the choice to work there under their policies and procedures. In an "at will" world of employment we have today, either side is able to end that employment for just about any reason. 

You're right that very few large companies would let it slide. Very few large companies operate honorably when it comes to things like this.

That doesn't make me wrong though. If a large company fires someone for stating something true about climate change with the company name under theirs, that's also evil, and that company would be raked over the coals on modern social media.

In any case, this is beside the actual point. You just wrote out the predictable explanation that everyone already knows. No one cares if Dan is was able to kill Arsenal on a technicality that was in the rulebook. The action is still disgusting, especially considering how slow to act he was with the actual issues that were putting young people at risk. He takes his sweet time there, but is able to swiftly punish the one decent corps director who was willing to publicly condemn that which every decent human must condemn.

That is disgusting behavior. I don't care if it's supported by some bylaw. In that case, the bylaw is also disgusting, as is whoever is responsible for it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Look, I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the actions Dan took. 

Well, we know your " stand " here on the former Arsenal Corps Director.

Take " a stand " on DCI's response to immediately withdraw the Organization's application and upcoming scheduled review for 2019 Open Class competition as a result of what he posted, Stu. Do you approve of DCI's actions here or not ? And tell us why. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

You're right that very few large companies would let it slide. Very few large companies operate honorably when it comes to things like this.

That doesn't make me wrong though. If a large company fires someone for stating something true about climate change with the company name under theirs, that's also evil, and that company would be raked over the coals on modern social media.

In any case, this is beside the actual point. You just wrote out the predictable explanation that everyone already knows. No one cares if Dan is was able to kill Arsenal on a technicality that was in the rulebook. The action is still disgusting, especially considering how slow to act he was with the actual issues that were putting young people at risk. He takes his sweet time there, but is able to swiftly punish the one decent corps director who was willing to publicly condemn that which every decent human must condemn.

That is disgusting behavior. I don't care if it's supported by some bylaw. In that case, the bylaw is also disgusting, as is whoever is responsible for it.

Sorry, if an employee agrees to operate within the rules of the corporation, they are not free to bash and post negative things about their company, especially if they place their company's name on their post. If they choose to do so anyway and get fired for it, that is not evil behavior by the company...the employee made the choice to go against what they agreed to as a condition of employment.

Dan did not kill Arsenal; he suspended their application for Open class until next season; he noted they were still welcome as a Soundsport participant.

DCI must indeed act against anybody committing predatory acts; who would think otherwise? They have been waaaay too slow to  realize this, but hopefully they have turned the corner with their initiatives. We will see moving forward.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Well, we know your " stand " here on the former Arsenal Corps Director.

Take " a stand " on DCI's response to immediately withdraw the Organization's application and upcoming scheduled review for 2019 Open Class competition as a result of what he posted, Stu. Do you approve of DCI's actions here or not ? And tell us why. 

Based on the info available to me right now is it the decision I would have made, no. But I stand by the fact that it was Dan's call to make; and I believe tough calls are made everyday by human leaders who often times have to take hits from from those who disagree. That is what leadership entails. And whether we like it or not humans are fallible, even those in charge of making decisions like Lotz and Acheson. But that does not mean we should resort to "off with his head" mentality with Acheson. It may be time for leadership change in DCI; that is a subject which can be discussed. But the Arsenal Director admitted to the violation; Dan as DCI CEO made a call which was rightfully his to make. It is that simple.

Edited by Stu

2 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Sorry, if an employee agrees to operate within the rules of the corporation, they are not free to bash and post negative things about their company, especially if they place their company's name on their post. If they choose to do so anyway and get fired for it, that is not evil behavior by the company...the employee made the choice to go against what they agreed to as a condition of employment.

Expressing disappointment that adults were putting kids are risk is NOT "bashing and posting negative things." 

Period.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, MikeD said:

...that would cost Arsenal another year in Soundsport, at which time they could apply for Open class again. DCI did not ban them from Soundsport. If his group is looking to become an Open class member of DCI, don't you think their director/CEO should be aware of the rules and abide by them? 

Having said that, I am not sure I would have taken the route DCI took, but that is just my take.

Yes, based on the evidence we've seen, this feels to me like going to jail for 30 days for jaywalking.

One of the transformations we have learned here on DCP the last year or so in our discussions was what power DCI HQ had over its member Corps.

We recall a few posters believing at the time that DCI HQ was nothing more than essentially a " show scheduler ". That phrase, comment is still on here from less than a year ago. We had good debate and discussions on this point, ie just what authority did DCI HQ actually have.

Since that time, we have witnessed DCI HQ exert considerable unilateral power over membership Corps... from Suspensions, to Probations, to Financial Books scrutiny, to Corps Director rebukes and punishments, to withdrawal notices for both application to Class, and revocation rights to competition.

DCI HQ we have learned... if we had not already.... is far more than just a toothless, "show scheduler ".

The question still remains however,  do they apply their " rules and regulations " in an even handed, consistent faction across the board, and irrespective of a person and Corps status in DCI ? There is real concern that DCI HQ's implementation of penalties for violations of its policies and procedures is perhaps arbitrary, capricious, and inconsistent.... and its penalties metered out show that its priorities needs fine tuning, to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

I didn't know you were the Director of XYZ Corporation.  

Kudos on your new cutting edge technology for warning people when their flies are open.

i'd be impressed if it were the YYZ corporation