Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

SMU didn't even have football til what...less than 10 years ago?

What I got is, Arsenals BOD and DCI have been talking, and that the relationship isn't dead, and time can heal the wounds. As I said before, if the two sides can keep communicating well, and out of the public eye, I expect good news down the road.

41 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Agree that the thread has become overly emotional. Even more so the dci threads on Reddit just boiling over, why? Reddit is not a bunch of old farts that just needs a DCP attitude adjustment so we can return to the fifty happier campers. This is serious business that needs realistic damage control, are there any signs of that? What caused the outrage? What could help calm things down? It's the kids on Reddit that pay the bills adjusting attitudes is a waste of time anywhere else.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you, but your posts lead to a point I've been looking for a way to make.  ...and this is a somewhat gushy post, so grab your bootstraps!

Here is what I've come to learn about the current group of marchers and others their age (generalizing, not specific individuals of course).  Most tend to be very accepting of others, inclusive, and understanding.  ...and yet, they are loud!  Now mind you, this isn't always a negative reaction.  Whether for or against something, they demand to be heard, they demand action, they demand equality, and they demand change - and they have technology to help them do it.  It goes without saying they are not afraid at all to use it either!  It's easy to understand why when you look at the events that have unfolded in their lives.  Some have never known life prior to 9/11......just let that sit for a moment.  Anyway, my point is, if you look at their actions, their reddit ranting, their support of their friends, their frustration with "the man", their change.orgs, their longing for justice, and their memes to paint a picture should words not be enough, you will see that underneath all that they are looking to change the world.  They are looking for safety, for security, for inclusiveness, for belonging, and generally watching the backs of their fellow marchers whom they may have never met.  Regardless of it all, if you sit back and weed through all of it, they are an INCREDIBLE and HARD-WORKING group of extremely talented, gifted, and passionate young adults...and it's amazing!   Pretty soon, they'll have the reigns.  I wonder what they'll do?!

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Exactly.  I don't see any rules that say DCI had to handle it the way they did.

Although I don't think everyone agrees with their interpretation of the rule (so some may argue that, in their opinion, it was not broken) particularly given that those in the supposedly disparaged organizations appeared very appreciative of what he said. 

But no one is arguing over whether they have the authority to make the decision.  This is about their judgment in how they used said authority.

On the actual rule breaking , I'll generally play Devil's advocate on that side of the argument, purely because I've had to make that kind of call and I realize it's a bit ambiguous when you have stakeholders who are angry. But, to the defense that it wasn't an official rule violation, when DCI's own media partners literally publish an article praising the offer (referring to FloMarching, can't find the article link), and when the brass caption head of one of those named organizations literally posts a thank you to Arsenal for the offer to those members, maybe it's a good time to weigh out whether or not the rule-violation-decree should be so damning.

Edited by ouooga
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

They are looking for safety, for security, for inclusiveness, for belonging, and generally watching the backs of their fellow marchers

Very heartfelt post real focus. The rub is they always had that from dci. All the stuff other orgs have struggled with that led to their demise was a strenght at dci. No holds barred if you made it through pratice and held your own, nothing else maters dci was decades ahead. This one issue now has them stumped?

Edited by Bluzes

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True. Thats where a reader's assessment of her claim can be either accepted or rejected.

This reporter is unconnected to Drum Corps through affiliation, participation, interest, etc. I find her reporting.. so far... to be thorough, professional, and detailed. At the moment, I find her investigatory reporting credible. Her revelations are disturbing, and DCI's responses, inadequate, incomplete, and frankly not as credible. DCI has much work to do to turn this all around, imo

I find her credible overall as well. Never said otherwise. 

• Like 2

The 1/18/19 Statement is more damaging than helpful.

"We are continuing to identify additional opportunities to improve communication"

Meaning existing processes lead to confusion and can cause good plans to fail. Dci learned a lesson and Arsenal parents needed to pay maybe dci can get Mex to pay for the wall? This is legal fodder very bad admission.

"refine the processes for performing ensembles to move from one competitive division to another." 

Useless comment as a Sound Sport director he acted under the same policy and was a liability anyway. Que in other staff and a flock of knowledgeable people that fell into the same trap. That existing processes lead to confusion and can cause good plans to fail. Do they need to be reprimanded for not understanding the process? Their posts are out there on social media?

"We will also use this experience"

Wonderful it's an experience (queue in some Jimi). To the folks that Lost Money "Its a bummer", to the kids not marching its" PTSD", to the fine young man that his devastating metadata associated to his name for life may never work again in his field "it's a disaster". 

But it's a Jimi for dci. "Are You Experienced" if not then off with your head. With that kind of position is this, someone needs to be on psychedelics to understand how the policy even went there in first place get the picture (man). Groovy?

If I was the judge I would drug test the lot of them to explore why they created all of this pain and suffering.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

The 1/18/19 Statement is more damaging than helpful.

"We are continuing to identify additional opportunities to improve communication"

Meaning existing processes lead to confusion and can cause good plans to fail. Dci learned a lesson and Arsenal parents needed to pay maybe dci can get Mex to pay for the wall? This is legal fodder very bad admission.

"refine the processes for performing ensembles to move from one competitive division to another." 

Useless comment as a Sound Sport director he acted under the same policy and was a liability anyway. Que in other directors and  a flock of knowledgeable people that fell into the same trap. That existing processes lead to confusion and can cause good plans to fail. Do they need to be reprimanded for not understanding the process? Their posts are out there on social media?

"We will also use this experience"

Wonderful it's an experience (queue in some Jimi). To the folks that Lost Money "Its a bummer", to the kids not marching its" PTSD", to the fine young man that his devastating metadata associated to his name for life may never work again in his field "it's a disaster". 

But it's a Jimi for dci. "Are You Experienced" if not then off with your head. With that kind of position is this, someone needs to be on psychedelics to understand how the policy even went there in first place get the picture (man). Groovy?

If I was the judge I would drug test the lot of them to explore why they created all of this pain and suffering.

Admittedly, I had never even heard of Arsensal until this week.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i

I forget who it was earlier that said the only good justice for a child abuser, sexual or other, is the death penalty and I agree with that person 1,000,000,000%.

That was yours truly! And the irony here is that I am being painted by someone here as defending child abusers!

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True. And its of course not a Court of Law requiring the submittance of such " hard proof " to bolster the Philly Reporter's claIm.  Even the allegations of George Hopkins sexual assaults that first materialized in the Philly Inquirer has not produced " hard proof " either, as such a high bar is also not required in order for DCI HQ to respond and to take action. The lack of " hard proof " did not stop DCI HQ was intervening and demanding Hopkins be removed, as the reporter's earlier article alone was deemed credible by DCI HQ, and was more than sufficient enough for them to act, and to see that he was removed.

In the case of Hopkins, actual named people came forward...a bunch of them...and told their stories. In this case, there are no names attached  to these allegations as far as I can tell. 

I just listened to Drum Corps AF podcast episode “Free Arsenal.” He gets it. Recommended listening to all who are passionate about what just happened this week.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Edited by Bluzes
remove