Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

2 minutes ago, Rileydog said:

If the finances were being bankrolled by the director (which I think I read on Reddit that he was), then the money leaves with the director. That’s part of the inherent problem with the start of some the newer corps...they are started by an individual who puts their finances on the line to create these corps. My limited understanding of the history of many of the older corps is that they were started by a civic club with shared financial responsibilities. 

We know that students tuitions only cover part of the budget. 

Had conversations in the past year with people trying to start two corps in Indiana. Nice, passionate, certainly well-meaning people. The passion and interest in music and marching are way, way above any thinking through of finances and business and organizational operations. Ya gotta have the whole package.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

No.

This is not the time to take a hardline stance against a young corps that was trying to do right by displaced members, after months of being wish-washy and ignoring actual problems that should have elicited an immediate response.

(Again only if the rules were conveyed to the director prior would I support DCI in the suspension of the application)... this issue falls in the category of potential liable, and DCI upholding rules/consequences in the rhelm of liable is not a harsh stance against a young corps. It is integrity and credibility plain and simple.

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

That is odd.  Leafing through the DCI ethics guidelines, I do not see anything about suspending a whole corps over a social media post.  What I do see is this:

"DCI community members may be disciplined for personal use of social media when usage is in violation of other DCI policies."

Also:

"DCI community members should be respectful, professional and courteous in posting and communicating."

I will save my thoughts on the social media post for later.  Right or wrong, clearly only one person should be disciplined, not an entire corps.

If DCI has a problem with the social media post that can only be solved by removal of that director... well, he resigned yesterday.  Problem solved.  Any questions about who replaces him, are they still on track, etc., can be addressed in the evaluation process - as they would have been anyway.  Therefore, Arsenal should have their application process un-suspended before anyone gets their morning coffee today.

Anything short of that is a colossal failure of public relations, basic judgment and fairness, which I see as just as severe a violation of DCI ethics guidelines as the one they appear to be reacting to in the first place.

Well, if they are going to bring down the ax for a post that, let's face it, was meant to help the members than they do appear to be out of touch.  Again, saying we're sorry for what you went through is not slanderous.  "Hey, I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital while marching with xxxxxxx, we do our best to ensure our members remain hydrated and even provide gatorade as a extra supplement at meals" ---OMG, SHUT IT DOWN! (That was just an example by the way)

If DCI is going to use this post as the tipping point for shutting corps down, then there are a few corps who should have been shut down this past year due to their social media issues (I'm looking at you Cascades).  ...but they aren't.  Why?  ...because it's CRAZY!  

Which brings me to another concern about this.  I understand not slandering other corps on social media to an extent that hurts the operation of that business (the two mentioned were already out of business by their own doing), but social media is a strong tool and we are trying to prevent any further issues with regards to the health, safety, and well-being of members.  Members...hmm...I feel like they might mean something to this activity.  Anyway, it feels like this is a scare tactic by DCI.  Are they really presenting themselves in a way that is open to serving & protecting members?  Someone tried to help them & the powers that be axed them.  If I were a corps director, I'd be terrified to say anything that might ruffle feathers!  Well that isn't going to improve any situation.  The brass caption head of OC has gone on reddit to thank the director of Arsenal.  Why?  Oh...likely because he too is looking out for the members.

Members, members, members...I feel like there is a common theme here.  DCI BOD, what are you missing???  

Edited by DCIat14
Grammar OCD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

There’s ways to say things, and there’s one part of the statement I get why they dropped the hammer. They knew the rules when they applied. We live in a world where if people thought before they typed, we’d be in a much better place. 

I don’t disagree with what he said. But there’s a time and place and he chose to not follow that rule. 

The time and the place for these comments have come and gone, the comment fits the response the G7 corps should have had. Dci by suspending him is putting words in his mouth he never mentioned drum corps in his statement. Dci is admitting guilt if they took the offense to the comments personally. His statement is generalized and could have applied to any youth-activity that has a history of abuse. Dci does not rule over one's conscience and is acting like they can read his mind. There is no defense for their harsh, heartless reactions to an unpublished zero tolerance policy. Health & Saftey is a wide-ranging topic that dci obviously does not understand, maybe Varsity Sports should weigh in on the health effects collateral damages has on the survivors and hold dci to task.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Provided the Arsenal Director was made aware of the media rule prior to this situation, now is the perfect time for DCI to uphold the integrity of honoring their own set of rules. It is called credibility; and integrity along with credibility is exactly what DCI needs at this juncture.

How’s their credibility and integrity doing with Fred Morrison still here as Crossmen executive director?  Right now IMO DCI is straining at the gnat and passing the camel. Or, if you prefer, removing a speck from Arsenal’s eye while not noticing the log in their own eye. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Members, members, members...I feel like there is a common theme here.  DCI BOD, what are you missing???  

They are not going to miss much. Dci has a public comment page where someone could ask a question or leave a comment. I am putting a piece together so I can man to man address my concerns about Arsenal. I will also use the comment section on Varsity Sports to let them know how much they are needed by dci. I will also tell them to watch their backs because they just jumped into a swine pit.

1 hour ago, jeffmolnar said:

Now is not the time and this is not the place for DCI to become a stickler about social media rules.

This action is unbelievably tone deaf on their part.

I'll say this again.....i don't approve of what they did. I'm explaining most likely why they did it.  Don't confuse those facts

16 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Somehow that appears to be the case, but no news from the DCI side of things, so can't confirm.

If true, cue the meme of DCI sweeping sexual assault under the rug, while subsequently chastising a corps for trying to do right by marching members.

And like clockwork, r/drumcorps meme culture is already in full force.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Provided the Arsenal Director was made aware of the media rule prior to this situation, now is the perfect time for DCI to uphold the integrity of honoring their own set of rules. It is called credibility; and integrity along with credibility is exactly what DCI needs at this juncture.

While way late to the game, I agree it's time DCI has rules and enforces them. I'm surprised they haven't claimed credit for OC given what came out. 

7 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

How’s their credibility and integrity doing with Fred Morrison still here as Crossmen executive director?  Right now IMO DCI is straining at the gnat and passing the camel. Or, if you prefer, removing a speck from Arsenal’s eye while not noticing the log in their own eye. 

HD did you fail to read where I stated this is the time for DCI to uphold its 'own set of rules'?