Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

6 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That was refuted.  Both Arsenal and DCI are saying that the reason for the application suspension was the social media post.

That’s what I said, the board quickly responded and said it was due to the actions of the former director. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned the former director put in a great deal of energy and his own finances to get Arsenal started. I can understand the board being upset if he acted on his own and this whole thing exploded, but to me it seemed as if the board’s response did not acknowledge his contributions. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so what the #### is it....do you want rules in place and to be enforced or not?

I'll admit I am underwhelmed by the statement released, but here they spell out what the rule is, and that it was broken and the action taken. Jesus himself couldn't please some of you

I will say it again.  DCI could enforce their rule in several ways, up to and including a lifetime ban on Spenser Lotz.  Punishing the whole corps, however, was not warranted, not required by the DCI rule, and is so mind-numbingly, stupidly inappropriate that there are no words to describe it.

The punishment does not fit the crime.  

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:
2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I’ve not defended them just explained what turned out to be their rationale. Big difference 

Agree and I am beginning to see dci's disparagement. It's not the heartfelt words. It's the title. "To All The Vets of OC & Poi" If he titled it Offering A Scholarship to OC & Pio. Would that have cleared things up?

I can't get over the fact that we all read it and no one went where dci did? Everybody here wants the best things for drum corps and at the beginning of this thread, we thought it was the best thing since sliced bread? What changed? No one is more of a watchdog over drum corps than DCP how did we miss it? Are we just a bunch of old dinos that can't recognize fireable disparagement when we see it?

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

For clarification's sake, because Arsenal is in New Mexico, all times are MT.

Interesting Dan mentioned Arsenal had its own social media policy similar to dci’s

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I will say it again.  DCI could enforce their rule in several ways, up to and including a lifetime ban on Spenser Lotz.  Punishing the whole corps, however, was not warranted, not required by the DCI rule, and is so mind-numbingly, stupidly inappropriate that there are no words to describe it.

The punishment does not fit the crime.  

So again you enforce rules or you don’t. Or make them up in the flu. I know which you’re suggesting and I know what DCI’s been bashed for doing before. 

Do we even know their membership numbers numbers and financials would qualify?

and look when it comes to PR, I’ve said a billion times dci sucks 10 levels worse than suck. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I’m ready to agree Arsenal’s director violated anything. In my mind he was stating the obvious. If that “makes dci look bad”, well, they all should be ashamed. They made themselves look bad. Arsenal’s director isn’t one of the many corps directors and staff accused of abusing MMs. He had the audacity to apologize on their behalf. Because they won’t do so themselves. Shame. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Interesting Dan mentioned Arsenal had its own social media policy similar to dci’s

So this is an old policy but popped it's head up to set the bar on disparagement zero tolerance. Does that open the gates for the Press to find other disparagements that are out there in cyberspace, say an off the cuff about GH that mentions The Cadets though well-intended crossed the line? Tricia has a ton of them and gathers more sent to her every day. Buckle-up!

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

This point should be moot, right? I thought DCI can't enforce a corps' own policy? That would be up to the individual corps. I'm not seeing why this was relevant for Mr. Acheson to point out.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Do we even know their membership numbers numbers and financials would qualify?

They were on-track to Open Class enough to be making plans for a tour and wider recruitment this season, at least.  They seemed to have assurance that they would not have a hard time qualifying.

• Like 1

I think we can all agree had Arsenal's director just offered reduced fees to Pio and OC members and left it at that none of this would have happened. It's called being a professional. I can agree that DCI hasn't handled the situation well but the Arsenal director should have known better. If anyone of us started to bad-mouth even a little bit our employers competitors IN THE NAME OF OUR EMPLOYER there would be a price to pay. We can argue about the price payed here if you'd like but some type of actions was required in this situation.

• Like 3