Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

10 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Okay then I’ll await the firing of the well known percussion staff member mentioned above. These organizations must be consistent you know. 

Did he make the statement in the mode of being the official representative percussion staff member, or was it made by him as an individual giving personal opinion? That distinction is huge!!

31 minutes ago, MikeD said:

She is a reporter, not a friend to build a "personal relationship" with. Her job is to dig in and find out the information she needs for her stories. DCI is not going to scattershot answers just because she wants them to. Creating a reasoned response, vetted through the DCI legal team, is the proper way to go, IMO. 

Look one day we love her and the next day we are putting a straight arm in her face. This is PR 101, businesses allow reporters to attend their company functions to do just that, build relationships. They attend conferences that include meetings, exhibits and dinners. Usually, a PR person is assigned the duty of sticking with the reporter so they stay focusing on the positives.

A relationship forms call it a business relationship, an acquaintance that you just broke bread with at a dci sponsored gathering Saturday. Then this comes up now you can pick up the phone and have a conversation.

What I get back on DCP is that dci is not a normal business and needs to reinvent a new wheel everytime a real Wrold situation presents itself.

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

Perhaps, but Stu's statement took the subject well beyond the realm of drum corps.    Then again, I disagree that drum corps can not make it on tuition alone, especially at the open level, when we all know that they are getting very little in the way of sponsorships or donations anyway.   They may have to be creative in managing expenses, but I'm guessing the tuition-to-income ratio is a lot higher than most people think as you travel down the competitive scale.

so say 80 kids at $3000...$240,000...covers housing, fuel, insurance, food, even for limited tour when, well, there's like little local for them?

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is knowledge to us in the activity  "that Corps have taken on lots of high-risk individuals".  But is this information known by the decision-makers at the school districts that are being asked to allow the Corps to bed-down at their facilities?  If I found out after-the-fact that this info was well known and available but not presented as part of the decision-making process I would be irritated.  Really irritated.  And there would be no way I would allow a DCI - affiliated unit to use the facility in the future.  Fool me once - shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

schools have taken on lots of high risk individuals too.

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Facebook is worse, but mostly because more people use it and more people reveal personal information on it, both of which make it more valuable to bad actors.

But that's not important right now.

I know I keep moderating the DCP Facebook page...I am subjected to bad actors all the time

:beer:

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is fine to make those statements as an individual espousing personal beliefs. However, (when typing in the mode of being an official director of an organization) the speech of that person should and must be regulated by that organization and the organization's governing body.

not if the company has a social media policy and you put your name and job title in your post.

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually that's more of an answer than she usually got

Oh, yea my mind went there. A stiff arm in the face is better than putting things in writing and waiting for the mail carrier to arrive. Little steps but dooly noted. go dci

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Especially libel and slander. People are always getting those two mixed up.

I'm not on Twitter, but I read a lot of Twitter posts. This guy, a former Assistant U.S. Attorney now in private practice, posts a lot of helpful information for novices on legal intricacies, which are much in the news of late, including defamation and SLAPP and RICO (but it's never RICO):

https://twitter.com/Popehat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

She is a reporter, not a friend to build a "personal relationship" with. Her job is to dig in and find out the information she needs for her stories.

I would be careful to characterize a young lady just because of her profession, as someone not to build a relationship with. This is just baiting folks that are way more evil than me to have your head on a platter by twisting your true intentions to something it isn't. See returning the favor, just watching your back.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not if the company has a social media policy and you put your name and job title in your post.

That is what I meant. If he stated his credentials in the posting he should recive ramifications from the corps/dci; but if he posted just as an individual giving his own personal opinion it should stand with no formal consequence.

Edited by Stu