Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

2 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

Hola!  Point of Order:  The Chair of DCI BOD lives in Albuquerque, is an Attorney and a former MM of the Guardsmen.  Just a SWAG but I wonder whether there was not other local intelligence information considered in the Arsenal decision.  I looked at Arsenals BOD Bio's and their proposed 2019 Instructional Staff Bio's, but am not a person knowledgeable enough to make any judgment, worth a look though. 

I actually marched with her.  

If they have additional information, put out a statement. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

The question I was answering was not whether "Dan" applies rules consistently, but whether DCI applies rules consistently.  (As you would say, "learn to read".)

However, there is no inconsistency with decision making if one action is made by Dan and the other is made by the voting body.

Edited by Stu

It might be interesting to read the blog from the arsenal website dated July 2018. https://arsenalperformingarts.org/  The post can be seen 2 ways a great victory that they actually made it home. or what a Cluster.   Anyway they got to San Antonio bus broke down all their credit cards were denied, other corps and helpful locals donated food and a place to stay and they made it home safely. However after reading that and seeing some similar things with Coastal Surge a few years ago I am not all that confident that they would have passed the evaluation.  Arsenal may have solidified  their finances and made a solid plan.  However I think that while folks were happy to help out in San Antonio  I think DCI might have been concerned that this would happen for 2 weeks straight if they were to tour  the West Coast.     I don't think DCI has been completely transparent on this, I think folks should read that blog and and think about it while touting Arsenals readiness to join the Open Class Tour.

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Here is what you posted:

So I pointed out that a corps could descend into debt while inactive.  If they subsequently decide to make their inactivity permanent by dissolving, they would then have bills to pay.

Um.... if the corporation is not desolved they are in fact still active; they might not be fielding a corps, but the board, the director, the organization itself are all still active in a real and legal sense. As long as the Troopers, for example, were still a working corporation in 2005 they were still active but just not fielding a corps in DCI. Pioneer is currently suspended from DCI, but the Pioneer corporation is still active. And if an active corporation is in debt and must desolve, that is called irresponsible management of an active corporation.

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

It might be interesting to read the blog from the arsenal website dated July 2018. https://arsenalperformingarts.org/  The post can be seen 2 ways a great victory that they actually made it home. or what a Cluster.   Anyway they got to San Antonio bus broke down all their credit cards were denied, other corps and helpful locals donated food and a place to stay and they made it home safely. However after reading that and seeing some similar things with Coastal Surge a few years ago I am not all that confident that they would have passed the evaluation.  Arsenal may have solidified  their finances and made a solid plan.  However I think that while folks were happy to help out in San Antonio  I think DCI might have been concerned that this would happen for 2 weeks straight if they were to tour  the West Coast.     I don't think DCI has been completely transparent on this, I think folks should read that blog and and think about it while touting Arsenals readiness to join the Open Class Tour.

Okay, I read it.

So they got a flat tire.  I have had that happen to me, more than once.  It happens.  It is not a sign of administrative incompetence.

So they had a credit card placed on hold due to "suspicious activity".  I have had that happen to me, more than once.  It happens, especially in this day and age.  It is not a sign of administrative incompetence.

So they had a bus breakdown.  I do not have a bus, but I have had a rented vehicle break down on me, more than once.  It happens.  It is not a sign of administrative incompetence.

But none of that matters, anyway.  Whether they are ready for open-class or not, it would still be a good thing for DCI to perform an honest evaluation, pass/fail them on their merits, and provide feedback to help improve their organization whether they go open or SoundSport.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Um.... if the corporation is not desolved they are in fact still active; they might not be fielding a corps, but the borard, the director, the organization itself are all still active in a real and legal sense. As long as the Troopers, for example, were still a working corporation in 2005 they were still active but just not fielding a corps in DCI. Pioneer is currently suspended from DCI, but the Pioneer corporation is still active. And if an active corporation is in debt and must desolve, that is called irresponsible management of an active corporation.

I see... it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

My belief remains, there is more going on here than one (much discussed) post from this aspiring corps director. It’s entirely possible there were many other contacts made by this individual that caused some pause in Dan Acheson and others.

Both Dave Eddleman and Dan Acheson are on record, in writing, saying that the application suspension was because of the social media policy and nothing else.  

So you are suggesting that instead of taking them at their word and questioning their judgment, we presume them to be lying and question their basic character and integrity as well as judgment.  Not sure that will have the effect you intended.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I see... it depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Nope, it is because the performing ensemble is not the corporation. And unless legally desolved the corporation is still active by all real and legal definitions irrespective if an ensemble performs ot not. If you want to say thatthe Pioneer Ensemble will be inactive in DCI this season that would be accurate. But to say that Pioneer the corporation is inactive, and we are talking about the business not the ensemble, that would not be correct.

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Nope, it is because the performing ensemble itself is not the corporation. And unless legally desved the corporation is still active by all real and legal definitions irrespective if an ensemble performs ot not.

(sigh)

You know the meaning of the word "active" in the context of a drum corps discussion.  But since the only way to end this is for you to have the last word, here...

2 + 2 = 3.  Your turn to respond, for the win.

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

(sigh)

You know the meaning of the word "active" in the context of a drum corps discussion.  But since the only way to end this is for you to have the last word, here...

2 + 2 = 3.  Your turn to respond, for the win.

And that is where most drum corps folks get it wrong in a business sense. A corporation facilitates the performing ensemble. And a performing ensemble inactive in engaging in DCI competition is not the corporation going inactive. In a legitimatly ran business 2+2=4. Only in the bubble world of drum corps, where going into the red and falling on your sword is considered noble as long as it is for the kids would folks try to say 2+2=3.

Edited by Stu