Arsenal Drum Corps Offers Tuition Discount To Pioneer/Oregon Crusaders Vets

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Did he make the statement in the mode of being the official representative percussion staff member, or was it made by him as an individual giving personal opinion? That distinction is huge!!

Don’t hurt yourself champ. 

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

Because it is commonplace for any business to have a personal relationship with the press. They are invited as guests to all kinds of company functions. In the real world, it is called a press pass it gets them into conferences/meetings all over the world except dci events.

I think the wording that you might be looking for is a " working relationship " that is professional, open, and mutually respectful of one another.

No..., I do not believe that businesses (nor DCI in this case ) are looking for a " personal relationship " with a reporter..... nor vice versa.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Don’t hurt yourself champ. 

If I post something as Stu the individual, personal opinion applies. However, if I post the same thing as Stu the Director of XYZ Corporation, then my possible demotion and/or firing from XYZ is in order. And rightly so in both situations!

Edited by Stu

Pioneer has posted a news release that appears to be in response to both their suspension and (in the very last paragraph) seems to be pointed perhaps to Arsenal's ex-CEO.  Can't be sure of course as no actual names are stated, but it does appear awfully pointed.

https://pioneer-corps.org/news-from-the-top/842-news-from-the-top-january-17th,-2019.html?fbclid=IwAR3ZHMZxHPsIsDVz1t3Ou96MTQAVOUEioFfF-RjSzeErY6ZIaomX8D8895M  

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

No that does not prove your point. If they are in debt prior to dissolution they would in fact be in debt while the corps is active. If they were not in debt at the point of desolving they would not have to sell assets to pay off debt. Get it now?

No, that is not how it works.  A corps can be in the black today, but end up in debt by the time they dissolve.

Take this hopefully hypothetical example.  Their director suddenly resigns.  Upcoming weekend camp must be cancelled.  Camp fees will not be collected, and any prepaid will be refunded by the corps.  But the facility fee for the camp location cannot be recovered.  That one-two punch causes a significant financial loss to the corps.

Following week, an emergency meeting convenes.  The corps decides that they cannot replace their director in time to keep everything 2019-season-related on track, and elects to take the season off with intent to resume for 2020.  The kids are released for 2019.  Now, all prepaid tour fees are refunded, another financial loss to the corps.  

The corps has plenty of other funding streams planned.  However, the inactivity is causing more problems.

- Participatory fundraising, such as car washes and concession staffing at the local stadium, are now halted because the kids are gone.

- Donations and fundraising done by parents dries up because the parents vanished along with their kids.

- Fees for local performances are lost now that there is no performing group.

That leaves only the non-participatory methods of fundraising that corps administration can do, such as souvenir sales, donations from local businesses, and grant writing.  But no one will donate or grant to the corps now that they are not active and present in the community.  If the corps had some special groundswell of public support like Arsenal is experiencing now, souvenir sales might be a real help - but this hypothetical corps director practiced safe social media use, so there is no controversial backstory.  Souvie sales flatline.

Meanwhile, the bills keep coming in.  Staff payments may still be due, depending on contractual terms.  Periodic bills for insurance, storage space rental, website domain space, etc., will continue.  Even if the corps decides to dissolve immediately, some of these expenses will take time to put a stop to.  In summary:

This week was a net loss.

Next week will be a net loss.

The ensuing months will be a net loss.

By the time the corps dissolves, the corps that used to be in the black could quite possibly be in debt.

Stu, you are very reluctant to admit when you are wrong.  You would be a perfect fit with current DCI administration.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Pioneer has posted a news release that appears to be in response to both their suspension and (in the very last paragraph) seems to be pointed perhaps to Arsenal's ex-CEO.  Can't be sure of course as no actual names are stated, but it does appear awfully pointed.

https://pioneer-corps.org/news-from-the-top/842-news-from-the-top-january-17th,-2019.html?fbclid=IwAR3ZHMZxHPsIsDVz1t3Ou96MTQAVOUEioFfF-RjSzeErY6ZIaomX8D8895M  

in other words, I am not going anywhere until I die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

One person’s “disparaging public statements” is another person’s “stating the obvious”. . If only Dan was as quick to deal with the harassers and enablers in dci as he is in dealing with a guy criticizing the harassers, things would be a lot better. 

I agree.  DCI HQ may have acted way too quickly and " emotionally " in this situation in retrospect too. A warning from DCI might have been in order here,  or some action less severe than crippling the Organizations quest for a deliberative and orderly evaluation of its fitness for Open Class competition participation this 2019 season. The intent of SL was certainly not to be harmful here, but helpful to parents/ marchers. How did Dan A act on other occasions when Corps Directors were in violation of DCI's established  rules and procedures ? Clearly, a current DCI Corps Director allegedly paying a firm to bury a guys sordid past with minors would seem to be in violation of DCI's policies and procedures, and well before the 2016-2019 time frame too, one would think.

Also,  what if ( for example ) one of the TOP 3 or 6 DCI Corps Directors stated this very same thing this former Arsenal Corps Director did on Social Media ? Would DCI's Dan Acheson tell ( for example ) The Cavaliers or SCV that their quest to compete in World Class Division for the 2019 season has been revoked and withdrawn by him ? Presumably, he would apply the same punitive penalty to ANY DCI Corps whose Corps Director said this as well.

Or would he ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I think the wording that you might be looking for is a " working relationship " that is professional, open, and mutually respectful of one another.

No..., I do not believe that businesses (nor DCI in this case ) are looking for a " personal relationship " with a reporter..... nor vice versa.

Yes BRASSO your are correct a "working relationship" an ice breaker opens the door for one on one contact down the road. It's so important to make sure your posts are clear and concise these days (everything I am not but improving).

This is exactly what this thread is about. Clear & concise transfer of what you are trying to accomplish from your mind to the words. Making sure there are not any unintended, undetectable meanings, hidden landmines that could alter your life. When I thought about relationships, I am retired personal came to mind and sent the wrong message.

It has been said on DCP before "were all a few words away from being fired".

Social justice if we think that is the correct path to follow then this is what you get. What part of the statement brought him down or did just the idea itself bring him down? At least GH is going to get a fair trial, I can't seem to find anything that is fair about this?

Edited by Bluzes
typo

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

If I post something as Stu the individual, personal opinion applies. However, if I post the same thing as Stu the Director of XYZ Corporation, then my possible demotion and/or firing from XYZ is in order. And rightly so in both situations!

I didn't know you were the Director of XYZ Corporation.  

Kudos on your new cutting edge technology for warning people when their flies are open.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, that is not how it works.  A corps can be in the black today, but end up in debt by the time they dissolve.

Take this hopefully hypothetical example.  Their director suddenly resigns.  Upcoming weekend camp must be cancelled.  Camp fees will not be collected, and any prepaid will be refunded by the corps.  But the facility fee for the camp location cannot be recovered.  That one-two punch causes a significant financial loss to the corps.

Following week, an emergency meeting convenes.  The corps decides that they cannot replace their director in time to keep everything 2019-season-related on track, and elects to take the season off with intent to resume for 2020.  The kids are released for 2019.  Now, all prepaid tour fees are refunded, another financial loss to the corps.  

The corps has plenty of other funding streams planned.  However, the inactivity is causing more problems.

- Participatory fundraising, such as car washes and concession staffing at the local stadium, are now halted because the kids are gone.

- Donations and fundraising done by parents dries up because the parents vanished along with their kids.

- Fees for local performances are lost now that there is no performing group.

That leaves only the non-participatory methods of fundraising that corps administration can do, such as souvenir sales, donations from local businesses, and grant writing.  But no one will donate or grant to the corps now that they are not active and present in the community.  If the corps had some special groundswell of public support like Arsenal is experiencing now, souvenir sales might be a real help - but this hypothetical corps director practiced safe social media use, so there is no controversial backstory.  Souvie sales flatline.

Meanwhile, the bills keep coming in.  Staff payments may still be due, depending on contractual terms.  Periodic bills for insurance, storage space rental, website domain space, etc., will continue.  Even if the corps decides to dissolve immediately, some of these expenses will take time to put a stop to.  In summary:

This week was a net loss.

Next week will be a net loss.

The ensuing months will be a net loss.

By the time the corps dissolves, the corps that used to be in the black could quite possibly be in debt.

Stu, you are very reluctant to admit when you are wrong.  You would be a perfect fit with current DCI administration.

I will make this simple for you even though you desire to write hypothetical novels. The first priority in any business is make money, even if it is a non-profit; the second is to stay solvent. Sometimes that means downsizing. But if a corporation desolves and is in the red at the time it desolves the CEO has done a horrible job. Assets should be liqidated upon dessolution, but the proceeds should go to helping others succed not to debt accrued via bad management.

Edited by Stu