I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

1 hour ago, ibexpercussion said:

I've been out of the loop of new the past week or so...what has happened to cause people to be this on edge?

I am seconding this question.

WTF happened?

Just my opinion I don’t feel boycotts by the fans alone will solve anything. However if the other Corps got involved something would have to be done I’m sure if Blue Devils or SCV or Carolina Crown or Bluecoats threatened to boycott or at least made their presence known someone would listen. The fact that DCI has reacted to a social media situation so quickly and harshly and still allow a person like Fred Morrison to be involved is disturbing to say the least. I’m sure if Arsenal was a top tier world class corps this whole thing would have been overlooked and I feel it’s gonna take a top tier world class corps getting involved to make things right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

YouTube or maybe Fan Network comes back.

Money for licensing?

2 hours ago, ibexpercussion said:

I've been out of the loop of new the past week or so...what has happened to cause people to be this on edge?

33 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

I am seconding this question.

WTF happened?

Here's the scoop:

• DCI Annual Meetings were this past weekend, January 10-12, in Indianapolis.
  • One of the first things that happened at the Annual Meetings was the voting membership's decision to ban Pioneer from DCI participation, although they may be allowed to return as an Open Class corps as early as 2020 if they meet DCI standards.
  • On Sunday, not long after the Annual Meetings ended, the Oregon Crusaders announced they would be inactive for the 2019 season.
  • The same day as OC's announcement, Arsenal (SoundSport corps from Albuquerque, NM) announced via the r/drumcorps Reddit page that they would give special tuition discounts to veterans of OC and Pioneer so that they could have a chance to march this summer.
  • Two days later, news breaks via Arsenal director Spenser Lotz's Facebook page that because of that Reddit post, which apparently violated DCI's Ethics Guidelines, Arsenal's application to Open Class for 2019 was suspended, although they could still perform in SoundSport this year and reapply for Open Class next year. Lotz also announced his resignation as Arsenal's director.
  • Today, Lotz sent another Facebook post, a timeline of his interactions with Dan Acheson and Open Class Coordinator Dave Eddleman between Monday and today. Screenshots of two emails from both are also included.
  • DCI also released a statement regarding Arsenal's suspended Open Class application, not adding much more to what has already been said.
  • Tricia Nadolny of the Inquirer also announced will be penning another article on her investigations into DCI's handling of the Arsenal situation.

It is because of all this that many fans are angry with DCI, calling for Dan Acheson to step down and threatening to boycott DCI shows.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

WOW!  Good gosh, the sky isn't falling.  It seems that more and more, the answer to problems with peoples or organizations behavior is to go nuclear and fire people, ban organizations, boycott organizations rather than take a breath and figure out how to fix things or at least help fix things.  Many are quick to judge, overreact, yell, stomp feet, throw pitchforks and torches but few of these same people are willing to stand up and help out to fix things.  Jumping on DCP and complaining about absolutely everything (and actually personally KNOWING little about all these things) doesn't help anyone or anything.  I see people worrying about how this affect the kids, oh the poor kids, but boycotting DCI is helping the kids?  How the he$$ is that helping? None of what has been happening, that we have been witnessing this year (Cadets, Pioneer, OC, Crossmen) is unfixable.

If my kids was marching and the corps they were in was going through any of this stuff, I would be all over the corps admin and board,  like white on rice demanding answers and remedies.  I would do everything I could possibly do to help get things on track and as a last resort (which I might add may be necessary if there were some of the legal issues we have seen here) get it shut down.  Parents of MM's have a lot more power than the corps directors may believe.  Parents of kids in corps should unify and be overseers of the corps conduct throughout the year.  Not to run anything but to watch over things and anything that looks out of the norm, step in and ask questions and demand answers.  It is MY responsibility as a parent to make sure my kids is safe when participating in anything be is sports, DC, stage band, theater, dance, gymnastics or chess. 

Sorry for my rant but the suggestion we all boycott DCI is in my personal opinion, an asinine response and not at all constructive.  Fix what specific things are broken.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will still attend at least one drum corps event this summer. I'm considering printing a shirt that says something along the line of "Dan Acheson protects and supports predators" and handing out papers to unaware spectators giving them information about everything that's happened in the past year.

I will not be paying for Flo Marching or any digital downloads of shows. I will not be buying any merchandise directly from DCI. If I purchase any merchandise from corps, I will make sure to do research ahead of time and ensure the corps are completely clean in regards to recent issues. Same with donations.

I also plan on sending emails and/or making phone calls to DCI's sponsors and the sponsors of corps who still employ sex offenders/predators or who still have leaders in place who have hired sex offenders/predators in the past requesting that they pull their sponsorship until the situation is resolved.

I'm aware that boycotting or asking sponsors to pull their money and support may hurt members or drum corps as a whole. I'd rather have drum corps get hurt than allow more children to be abused while marching.

• Like 2