I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

A timeline of communications was also provided. Frankly, Arsenel has more credibility with me at this point than DCI does.

Sadly, I agree.  At this point the burden of proof should be on DCI to identify other communications that support their claims.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

WOW!  Good gosh, the sky isn't falling.  It seems that more and more, the answer to problems with peoples or organizations behavior is to go nuclear and fire people, ban organizations, boycott organizations rather than take a breath and figure out how to fix things or at least help fix things.  Many are quick to judge, overreact, yell, stomp feet, throw pitchforks and torches but few of these same people are willing to stand up and help out to fix things.  Jumping on DCP and complaining about absolutely everything (and actually personally KNOWING little about all these things) doesn't help anyone or anything.  I see people worrying about how this affect the kids, oh the poor kids, but boycotting DCI is helping the kids?  How the he$$ is that helping? None of what has been happening, that we have been witnessing this year (Cadets, Pioneer, OC, Crossmen) is unfixable.

If my kids was marching and the corps they were in was going through any of this stuff, I would be all over the corps admin and board,  like white on rice demanding answers and remedies.  I would do everything I could possibly do to help get things on track and as a last resort (which I might add may be necessary if there were some of the legal issues we have seen here) get it shut down.  Parents of MM's have a lot more power than the corps directors may believe.  Parents of kids in corps should unify and be overseers of the corps conduct throughout the year.  Not to run anything but to watch over things and anything that looks out of the norm, step in and ask questions and demand answers.  It is MY responsibility as a parent to make sure my kids is safe when participating in anything be is sports, DC, stage band, theater, dance, gymnastics or chess. 

Sorry for my rant but the suggestion we all boycott DCI is in my personal opinion, an asinine response and not at all constructive.  Fix what specific things are broken.

Fixing what's broken requires removing everyone currently in charge.  Same old good ole' boy network in place, same crap happening with nothing being done except punishing a young director for daring to say, publicly, "The Emperor has no clothes!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Sorry for my rant but the suggestion we all boycott DCI is in my personal opinion, an asinine response and not at all constructive.  Fix what specific things are broken.

Dan Acheson is what's broken.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Are you also walking away from watching movies, going to the theater, attending sporting events etc.?   Remember "common sense" is not really that "common", but usually more myth than fact.

Point of fact:  I have not paid to attend a sporting event since the MLB strike of '94.  I can tolerate a lot if I am highly entertained, but the product DCI has put out over the last 2 years combined with all the nefarious behavior of leadership has just left me to the point that I don't see a reason for DCI to be in my life... and maybe anyone else's. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Point of fact:  I have not paid to attend a sporting event since the MLB strike of '94.  I can tolerate a lot if I am highly entertained, but the product DCI has put out over the last 2 years combined with all the nefarious behavior of leadership has just left me to the point that I don't see a reason for DCI to be in my life... and maybe anyone else's. 

Sorry you feel this way.  I personally think the "product" over the past 2 years (and more) has been nothing short of AWESOME.  Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oldbandguy said:

Sorry you feel this way.  I personally think the "product" over the past 2 years (and more) has been nothing short of AWESOME.  Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions.

I'm just not entertained by 8 minutes of jazz dancing, body emoting, running instead of marching, all while playing the same 8 measures over and over at the same volume.  That was at least half the shows I've seen in the last two years.  I get that that's what today's kids want to do... I just don't call it drum and bugle corps.  I call it "Summer Guard International."

I will go to my grave stating that SCV 2016 was the last DCI show ever.  Everything after that is SGI.  Again, just my opinion, but I'm not the only one saying it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TwoValves said:

The two emails that were made public.  Are you certain there is no other communication that took place before or after the emails?  Was there a phone call?  Other messages that weren't publicized?   

You know the old saying, right?  There are THREE sides to every store.  Person A's side, Person B's side, and the truth.  

Spenser Lotz
10 hrs · 

Drum Corps International has released an official statement regarding Arsenal's suspension. The statement contains fraudulent claims regarding how DCI handled the situation.
The timeline is as follows:

January 14th
4:38pm: Receive email from Dave Eddleman, the Open Class Coordinator, notifying Arsenal of Suspension
6:11pm: I respond via email to Dave. I state that I am willing to take the post down, but ask for the terms of the suspension.
6:21pm Opting to move quicker than email, I call Dave. Dave instructs me to email Dan Acheson as he does not have the details to the suspension. We do not discuss removing the offending post.
8:13pm I email Dan Acheson, requesting the terms of the suspension.

January 15th
9:17:am: Having received no response, I email Dan Acheson again.
12:14pm: I call Dan Acheson's desk at DCI, having gotten his number from another DCI employee. I leave a message on his voicemail.
12:40pm: I receive an email response from Dan Acheson, notifying me of the policy I broke and declaring that Arsenal's 2019 OC application has been suspended, but that we can re-apply for 2020.
3:00pm: I formally issue my resignation.

January 16th:
11:21 pm: DCI issues an official statement regarding the suspension, in which they fraudulently claim that they "offered Arsenal an opportunity to correct the issue, but the organization's leadership chose not to discuss options for moving forward."

I want to clarify; at no point did DCI make such an offer. They did not discuss Arsenal issuing an apology, or removing the post. Although I initially stated that I would remove the post, I did not because I was looking for clarification from DCI and because I understood that removing the post at that point would be a meaningless gesture as it had already been shared over four different social media platforms by a variety of drum corps influencers.

so he posted the emails he got, but did not post the ones he sent to them.

• Like 1