I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

6 hours ago, deloop said:

I actually really like the creative direction the shows are moving in, and had planned on seeing more shows this year than in the past. Part of me had even considered contacting some friends to get back in and tech for a week or so.

Instead, I'll be doing the opposite. And because the directors of some of my favorite groups are on the BoD, I will not be supporting those individual corps either. If anything, they are more responsible for DCI's actions than Dan Acheson. They have the power and ability to change the direction of DCI (it's their job), and they refuse to do so.

The list of corps whose directors/board members are on the DCI board, for anyone interested:

SCV, Bluecoats, Crossmen, Madison Scouts, Blue Stars, Mandarins.

I believe Phantom Regiment's Rick Valenzuela as well

10 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

The "Failure to Protect" article didn't result in any substantive action by DCI  at their Winter meeting.

So I don't see  this article doing anything either.

Until DCI/Corps see significant drops in membership or financial support that can threaten 

the viability of the activity,they have,unfortunately, no incentive to do anything.

I will still go to shows. I’ll donate for a kid I personally know.

and I’ll still be a pain in their ### and post things when I learn about them

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

At this time , I can not support a call for a boycott of DCI, although I can sympathize to a degree with the sentiment and the choice of those that intend to do so. I absolutely share both the frustration and the anger that many have with all this.

A boycott mostly hurts the thousands of MM's, and all the many staffers, Directors, volunteers that are doing great things... and in an activity they love. When these MM's  in these Corps march out there on the field, here in 2019 I want to support THEIR efforts. As such, I intend to attend the shows I usually do each season and cheer on all the 2019 MM's Corps,  and all their MM's just like I have always done.

But DCI HQ gets no support whatsoever from me. The Arsenal Corps Director's  overly harsh, punitive action by DCI HQ was the last straw for me. Shame on them. Who did more damage to Drum Corps and to DCI with the public at large as viewed in the newspapers, social media, etc with this incident ? The former Corps Director at Arsenal ? , or Dan Acheson at DCI HQ ? I think the answer to that is pretty obvious by now to most.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So let me get this right, people that haven't been following or part of the activity, by choice, for many years, are going to continue their boycott, and this is just adding to their reason?

I'm curious how many people will be boycotting DCI that have been going to shows/finals in the past 5 years.

I, for example have been at every finals since 2011, went sporadically from my age out in 1999 until 2010.

Thus I have been participating in the activity as a spectator up until 2018. That said, I will still be going to shows and supporting the activity, as I enjoy watching the corps perform and look forward to the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

At this time , I can not support a call for a boycott of DCI, although I can sympathize to a degree with the sentiment and the choice of those that intend to do so. I absolutely share both the frustration and the anger that many have with all this.

A boycott mostly hurts the thousands of MM's, and all the many staffers, Directors, volunteers that are doing great things... and in an activity they love. When these MM's  in these Corps march out there on the field, here in 2019 I want to support THEIR efforts. As such, I intend to attend the shows I usually do each season and cheer on all the 2019 MM's Corps,  and all their MM's just like I have always done.

But DCI HQ gets no support whatsoever from me. The Arsenal Corps Director's  overly harsh, punitive action by DCI HQ was the last straw for me. Shame on them. Who did more damage to Drum Corps and to DCI with the public at large as viewed in the newspapers, social media, etc with this incident ? The former Corps Director at Arsenal ? , or Dan Acheson at DCI HQ ? I think the answer to that is pretty obvious by now to most.

To me,by supporting the corps,and letting the activity continue,as it has,you are empowering  DCi to continue  doing exactly what they've been doing .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The "Failure to Protect" article didn't result in any substantive action by DCI  at their Winter meeting.

So I don't see  this article doing anything either.

Until DCI/Corps see significant drops in membership or financial support that can threaten 

the viability of the activity,they have,unfortunately, no incentive to do anything.

Regarding the "Failure to Protect" article, my hope is the corps themselves take action, but I agree it did not have a huge impact on the January meetings.

Regarding the more recent article, it was not up to Ms. Nadonly's usual standard, and it did not dig too deeply into Spenser Lotz's side of the story, at least for me. I did take one thing away from it. I do think Spenser Lotz had lofty goals and aspirations. It also seemed to me that while his intentions were good, he did shoot off the post to Reddit without thinking, which happens. I also thought about my own experiences a bit. When I was his age I was teaching seventh and eight grade social studies. I am sure I said the correct thing in the wrong way. We all have and we learn from it.

There are ways that Spenser Lotz's letter could have been revised, said the truth, but not disparaged the other corps, but as so many of us feel, it was a harsh punishment levied by DCI. . A better action would have been perhaps a formal reprimand or warning, and seeing if another director could have mentored him a bit. Instead he's walking away from the activity, which I understand, and we are losing a leader who could have had great potential, and that is too bad.. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding the "Failure to Protect" article, my hope is the corps themselves take action, but I agree it did not have a huge impact on the January meetings.

Regarding the more recent article, it was not up to Ms. Nadonly's usual standard, and it did not dig too deeply into Spenser Lotz's side of the story, at least for me. I did take one thing away from it. I do think Spenser Lotz had lofty goals and aspirations. It also seemed to me that while his intentions were good, he did shoot off the post to Reddit without thinking, which happens. I also thought about my own experiences a bit. When I was his age I was teaching seventh and eight grade social studies. I am sure I said the correct thing in the wrong way. We all have and we learn from it.

There are ways that Spenser Lotz's letter could have been revised, said the truth, but not disparaged the other corps, but as so many of us feel, it was a harsh punishment levied by DCI. . A better action would have been perhaps a formal reprimand or warning, and seeing if another director could have mentored him a bit. Instead he's walking away from the activity, which I understand, and we are losing a leader who could have had great potential, and that is too bad.. 

Seems they don't care, Tim. And it appears that they're not afraid to slap certain groups and overlook others.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

Seems they don't care, Tim. And it appears that they're not afraid to slap certain groups and overlook others.

And they slapped a potential OC corps since their director mentioned two corps who are, as mentioned by others on DCP, not allowed to compete.

22 hours ago, besson57 said:

I think I'll just dispute the charges if they refuse refunds.

So you’ll commit credit card fraud (and openly admit it) after you purchased something with agreed upon terms? Interesting strategy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1