I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

36 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

To me,by supporting the corps,and letting the activity continue,as it has,you are empowering  DCi to continue  doing exactly what they've been doing .

Yes and No. I do believe its possible for fans/ alums to attend shows, volunteer, donate to Corps they choose, and so forth, and still successfully push for DCI HQ change in leadership, and hold Corps feet to the fire on  improved Marcher safety.

Tricia N. at the Philly Inquirer is not going anywhere. She will continue to report what she finds.  If the activity falls apart, it won't have anything to do with the performances we watch on the field.  So I think its possible to still watch the performers perform this summer, support their efforts, and let what occurs off the field run its course to either improvement, oblivion, or something in between. I understand the risk of supporting the MM's hard efforts at practice, by supporting their on field performances. I am willing to take that risk, as I believe what DCI does off the field will determine its future fate. Not what I observe and will continue to support in performers on the field. But again, if others intend to walk away from attending future performances, thats their choice, and I have no problems with their decision. Its every person's right to decide for themselves whats best.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

And they slapped a potential OC corps since their director mentioned two corps who are, as mentioned by others on DCP, not allowed to compete.

Heaven forbid they spoke truth and aired dirty laundry. The Irony is pretty intense here.

• Like 1

Boycotts do often work when it comes to businesses, products, and restaurants. I'm not sure how it would impact DCI. As I read Brasso's most recent comment, something came to mind. I donate to the three corps that are close to home. I do so because I support drum corps and enjoy these corps. My donations are not major contributions that directors cannot wait until the check arrives in the mail. A few years ago a friend who supports the same corps and probably gives about the same as I do, did not approve of how the corps spent money and decided eh was not going to give. He informed the corps about the matter. He received a letter thanking him for his past support, suggested he earmark donations so that the funds were being spent exactly as he expected, mentioned in-kind donations as a possibility, and if he felt that strongly, they hoped he would still cheer on the corps from the stands. He still gives to the corps.

Random people not buying tickets, souvenirs, or CD's, BluRays, and DVD's could have an impact, but of DCI does not know you exist, the connection may not be made. It may make you feel better, and that is a valid reason, but does the target know this? Now if Friends of DCI threatened not to make donations or boycott,  that could have an impact. However, DCI needs to hear from you.

DCI and the Corps should be audited on a yearly basis. There just has to be a process, like I said an ombudsman. A company has their financials audited!? Right?  Corps or DCI would not like this but in lieu of voices being heard (not being heard) ... it’s using the press and social media... basically an ongoing dumpster fire!!! 🔥

We are better than this.

Let’s find a way to take the high road.

• Like 1

In 2019, there are more effective ways to make sh$t happen instead of boycotting. We can use those means instead.

I'm still going to shows. I'm not gonna punish other corps for a few others' inabilities to do the right thing.

This site annoys me sometimes. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

So I think its possible to still watch the performers perform this summer, support their efforts

If & when the MMs begin to lose interest move onto other things then the activity will die a slow death. The lack of interest of dci's most loyal fans, (heck they don't want us around anyway) will be seen as a good thing by dci. They have a renewable resource called HS kids they don't get old. Dci does not need us old farts.

The MMs have always been what makes this activity so great. Their actions will determine the fate of dci and a bunch of them on Reddit are fired up today. This is a high price to pay for social justice. I fail to see the greater good????

23 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

In 2019, there are more effective ways to make sh$t happen instead of boycotting. We can use those means instead.

Depriving a company of money is actually still the most effective way to make #### happen.

As long as money is a thing, that's never going to change.

57 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Depriving a company of money is actually still the most effective way to make #### happen.

As long as money is a thing, that's never going to change.

Then do you. I am still going to shows. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Then do you. I am still going to shows. 

Have tickets for Indy waiting to see where all this goes, may look to donate my tickets  but still go to Indy