I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

I find DCI's actions disappointing and heavy handed but I will still attend shows and support the two corps I contribute to financially.  

I'm hoping DCI realizes they screwed up and does something to fix the mess.  If they do nothing, I might consider not renewing my

friends of DCI membership next year. 

It's probably time for a change in DCI leadership. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

DCI and the Corps should be audited on a yearly basis. There just has to be a process, like I said an ombudsman. A company has their financials audited!? Right?  Corps or DCI would not like this but in lieu of voices being heard (not being heard) ... it’s using the press and social media... basically an ongoing dumpster fire!!! 🔥

We are better than this.

Let’s find a way to take the high road.

What makes you think they are NOT audited on a yearly basis?  Can you name a specific corps that is not?

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

And they slapped a potential OC corps since their director mentioned two corps who are, as mentioned by others on DCP, not allowed to compete.

OC was allowed to compete. the administration shut them down for the year, apparently due to a lack of members

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

Boycotts do often work when it comes to businesses, products, and restaurants. I'm not sure how it would impact DCI. As I read Brasso's most recent comment, something came to mind. I donate to the three corps that are close to home. I do so because I support drum corps and enjoy these corps. My donations are not major contributions that directors cannot wait until the check arrives in the mail. A few years ago a friend who supports the same corps and probably gives about the same as I do, did not approve of how the corps spent money and decided eh was not going to give. He informed the corps about the matter. He received a letter thanking him for his past support, suggested he earmark donations so that the funds were being spent exactly as he expected, mentioned in-kind donations as a possibility, and if he felt that strongly, they hoped he would still cheer on the corps from the stands. He still gives to the corps.

Random people not buying tickets, souvenirs, or CD's, BluRays, and DVD's could have an impact, but of DCI does not know you exist, the connection may not be made. It may make you feel better, and that is a valid reason, but does the target know this? Now if Friends of DCI threatened not to make donations or boycott,  that could have an impact. However, DCI needs to hear from you.

DCI survived 2009-2010, record lows for modern times in terms of attendance and often show popularity was low too. 

and this...since i joined drum corps forums online, i remember seeing boycotts called about Bb brass, amps ( I myself attended only 3 shows from 2004-2008), more electronics, show design, the G7.......and yet here we are. And I do think in most cases, DCI is trying to do the right thing. And sometimes the getting to the right path has some pitfalls. Given that DCi told Roman to step down or be gone, Cadets to ditch Hop and the board or else ( and psst, they are still on probation), forced Morrison off of the exec board....they are starting to take some good steps. Many more good steps are needed, but stuff like this doesn't change overnight, an it'll never be perfect. But I at least see some baby steps.

now for the love of God, will they hire a person that actually understands PR?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lancer79 said:

DCI and the Corps should be audited on a yearly basis. There just has to be a process, like I said an ombudsman. A company has their financials audited!? Right?  Corps or DCI would not like this but in lieu of voices being heard (not being heard) ... it’s using the press and social media... basically an ongoing dumpster fire!!! 🔥

We are better than this.

Let’s find a way to take the high road.

oh I agree...just getting to World Class isn't enough. i'd be happy with every two years

10 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

What makes you think they are NOT audited on a yearly basis?  Can you name a specific corps that is not?

per the DCi rules, there's evaluations to get into Open and/or World Class. Nowhere has it ever been mentioned or can it be seen that follow up audits are to happen. if they were, the Cadets $600k hole would have been known months ago. hell I heard the $300k number floated for the hole in August

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

stuff like this doesn't change overnight,

Too bad the blunders do happen overnight and pushes any change further out. If a demise of dci is in the cards the MMs will create it. This is new ground the other boycotts were not felt by the MMs as the problems we are facing now do.

1 hour ago, furious-winter said:

For those interested, there is a change.org petition..

There is nothing to see over there. They are the same org that helped take down the boy scouts. It is a social engineered site to push an agenda. dci needs to handle this. Discussion on here may not help. Don't go too deep into the site there could be portals to the dark web and all kinds of agenda driven issues.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

I keep reading about people willing to continue to  support corps.,MM ,etc.,but not DCI.

Does anyone here know how exactly DCI is funded.

I presume they get a big chunk of the money from the ticket sales at their shows.

But that,and "Friends of DCI" membership  wouldn't seem to be enough to support the organization.

I was wondering if corps pay an annual "fee" to be a member or if they get money from other 

sources.

Edited by rpbobcat