I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

Would everyone who is so committed to boycotting DCI and current drum corps in general, extend their commitment to boycotting DCP?   Please?  I for one am weary of all the negative commentary which only seems to be selfish ramblings of how their DC experience is changing.  Excuse the rant, I'm getting off your lawn now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s the truth.  My first year in corps was ‘72. By my last year ‘78, it was a totally different animal.

Have the 67 CYO/VFW dvds and vids of some 1972 Sr shows. 67 had starting line and 72 corps outside the end zone and back sideline. Both years had finish line at other end zone.

I started Sr 1974 and only Guard could start on the field and no finish line. By 79 whole corps could start on the field.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Would everyone who is so committed to boycotting DCI and current drum corps in general, extend their commitment to boycotting DCP?   Please?  I for one am weary of all the negative commentary which only seems to be selfish ramblings of how their DC experience is changing.  Excuse the rant, I'm getting off your lawn now.

I thought that too.....if the complainers are tired of where it's going, why come here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have the 67 CYO/VFW dvds and vids of some 1972 Sr shows. 67 had starting line and 72 corps outside the end zone and back sideline. Both years had finish line at other end zone.

I started Sr 1974 and only Guard could start on the field and no finish line. By 79 whole corps could start on the field.

And 5 years later when I came back Sr corps could do that pit thing and we had 2v Horns. 

Nah, still same old same old lol

• Like 1

I wouldn't do that. Having had marched, even if in a soundsport, I had the best experience of my life with Phenom Soundsport, a program if the Academy. Refusing to support DCI takes those opportunities away from the samll communities and soundsport, and eventually world class. I think it's crap about all of the corps that are being not joining this year, but when we refuse to support DCI those will go away forever, thus taking this opportunities from kids who do what they love. Over the summer, I met a group of young people who are committed to what they love, even if its in 116° weather. I hope anyone who is refusing to support DCI will reconsider for the sake of the people who do what they love.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Because we still love drum corps, just not the way DCI is being run.

If it bothers them so much, the people who don't want to see criticism can also choose not to come here.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I thought that too.....if the complainers are tired of where it's going, why come here?

I would suggest that perhaps it's because some of them are of the opinion that an activity that's been very important to them for many years is headed in the wrong direction.

The best way I can think of to differentiate then vs. now is that unless I'm mistaken, I believe a lot of the things being mentioned that were complained about over the past 50 years were rule changes. The evolution of horns from one to two to three valves and on to Bb were because of rule changes. The removal of requirements for starting lines and symmetrical drill, and the tick system. The onset of electronics and voice. The The inclusion of trombones, french horns, etc. These were all rule changes that were made with the intent of improving and progressing the activity. I personally have had no problem with any of these things.

The changes that I've seen in the last two years that I think are taking drum corps in the wrong direction have not been driven by rule changes, but rather in design philosophies and trends. There hasn't been any rule requiring corps to change their uniforms, or drag massive structures onto the field, or have a vocalist sing an entire piece, or only use brass players that can dance as well as the guard can. Those are choices that have been made by the design teams.  And myself and others merely don't like where those design trends are going. It seems that DCI is becoming WGI, and many people don't care for that. (The ironic thing there is 2018 Blue Devils was the best playing-and-marching show that corps has ever had.) 

I also find it rather disappointing that I'll likely never see the traditional Cadets or SCV or Cavaliers uniforms on a field ever again. I'm honestly a bit surprised that there aren't more people who feel the same way.

Unfortunately those of us who voice opinions like that tend to be lumped into 1) old out-of-touch "get off my lawn" people, or 2) people who don't support the kids. Neither, in the long run, are true.  But I guess I'd add that to Jeff's constants - 1) change, 2) people complaining about the change, 3) people criticizing the people who complain about the change. 

In the long run, the activity will go where it goes. None of us on here or on Reddit chirping back and forth about what we think will have any effect on anything. Personally I just hope it trends back towards something I find entertaining, even if it's supposedly "selfish" for me to do so.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Because we still love drum corps, just not the way DCI is being run.

If it bothers them so much, the people who don't want to see criticism can also choose not to come here.

Then get off your butt and help make it what you want it to be but understand it won't be changing back anytime soon.  

And those who don't want criticism of their complaining can stay away.  See how this can get circular?  Complainers are not offering criticism.  That would infer it is constructive.  It is just nothing more than complaining.  Change is inevitable.  People are afraid DCI will die because of change.  Quite the opposite.  It will die if it doesn't.  Adapt or die. Keep fighting against it, keep complaining about it.  DCI will continue to evolve and more people will tire of the whiners and eventually just stop listening to them.  A man visited his doctor complaining about how his head hurt every time he banged his head against the wall.  What should I do he asked?  The doctor said "stop hitting your head against the wall".

Ill keep following drum corps and thoroughly enjoy the creativity of designers and the performances of MM's who can accomplish things I never could.

Agree with it or not.  Drum corps is better than ever.  Just stop bellyaching and appreciate what they are putting on the field.  I would boycott it if it stayed the same.  Boycotting DCI isn't helping the corps.

32 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Then get off your butt and help make it what you want it to be but understand it won't be changing back anytime soon.  

And those who don't want criticism of their complaining can stay away.  See how this can get circular?  Complainers are not offering criticism.  That would infer it is constructive.  It is just nothing more than complaining.  Change is inevitable.  People are afraid DCI will die because of change.  Quite the opposite.  It will die if it doesn't.  Adapt or die. Keep fighting against it, keep complaining about it.  DCI will continue to evolve and more people will tire of the whiners and eventually just stop listening to them.  A man visited his doctor complaining about how his head hurt every time he banged his head against the wall.  What should I do he asked?  The doctor said "stop hitting your head against the wall".

Ill keep following drum corps and thoroughly enjoy the creativity of designers and the performances of MM's who can accomplish things I never could.

Agree with it or not.  Drum corps is better than ever.  Just stop bellyaching and appreciate what they are putting on the field.  I would boycott it if it stayed the same.  Boycotting DCI isn't helping the corps.

I think you’re confused about what is actually being criticized in this thread.