I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

15 minutes ago, BigW said:

On the fence eating popcorn with me. :innocent:

Writing notes to self checking flos college mb show schedule. See if either of our alma maters are scheduled. Forgot to check 2018 but 2017 showed WCUs college band all day show

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Writing notes to self checking flos college mb show schedule. See if either of our alma maters are scheduled. Forgot to check 2018 but 2017 showed WCUs college band all day show

They have that show in A-Town everyone comes to, Towson, IUP, WCU, Kutztown, Mansfield, slew of others. I'm invariably busy that weekend, never can go.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

They have that show in A-Town everyone comes to, Towson, IUP, WCU, Kutztown, Mansfield, slew of others. I'm invariably busy that weekend, never can go.

That is a great show. My son marched it when he attended Kutztown back in the late 90's. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but you'll still come here and blast it right?

When I am here, probably. If you are looking for the everyone loves everything about drum corp message board, this aint it.

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

When I am here, probably. If you are looking for the everyone loves everything about drum corp message board, this aint it.

nope. Just having a hard time remembering anything complimentary you've said

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

nope. Just having a hard time remembering anything complimentary you've said

You haven't looked. You do understand that everyone her either loves or loved drum corp at one time. I used to love it. Now I don't. Simple as that.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, drpepper said:

I couldn't possibly support this evaluation enough.

I'm just stumped by how fast it happened. It wasn't much more than three or four years ago I was watching DCI hornlines in awe and noting to others that there's no way 21-year-old me would have been skilled enough to make a modern-day hornline.

Now it seems to just be eight minutes of noise. Run around doing something, then 16 bars of dissonance meant to create whatever, I don't know.  Hold a sustain for 40 counts. And forget ballads. Now the hornlines are just backing tracks for some vocalist singing through a mediocre sound system.

Then you add in the onset of "costumes," to make it easier to do "body." As a result just about every corps tosses decades of brand awareness to the curb... walk into a show or a theatre now and you most likely have no idea who you're looking at, and whereas so many people over the years had a "welcome to DCI" moment of first putting on the uniform of the corps they hoped to make, now it's nothing more than trying on whatever costume their group is wearing that year.  Stories of brass players who are more than proficient enough to play a DCI book but they get cut because of their lack of dancing ability.  It was either that story, or SCV ditching the Aussies, or Crown's 2017 ballad that did me in. I have trouble deciding.

The thing is, I was marching when the buzz was starting about switching to B-flat horns. All the "old" people were all bent out of shape over it... I had no idea what the big deal was, couldn't understand the objection to it, etc. I still have no problem with B-flat horns.  Now I sit here feeling like I'm one of those "old" people and I should just deal with it. Should I?  I don't know. I just know that I can't see why anyone would consider a late-90s show to be less entertaining than a 1970s show. But here I am unable to enjoy almost anything in the last two years. At the same time the current members openly declare my corps' 1997 show, which got one of the best audience reactions of the year, to be "old-time" drum corps.

So I'm not going to be one to tell other people what to do... I just know personally I will not spend money to go watch these "summer guard" shows as I don't find them entertaining at all. I'll continue to support individual members as I hear of them needing support, or whatever. But I do lament what I perceive to be the loss of the activity, because the one I grew up admiring, then participating in, and then supporting, is gone right now.

I agree, I’ve been out of the loop since I last attended a show in 2015. I had to do some research to know which corps I was watching while looking up snippets online. I was thoroughly confused by all the radical uniform changes. Ironically enough, BD and the Cavaliers looked the most traditional and were easily identifiable. It is indeed sad to hear of all this news, esp. with GH at the Cadets. I do think there needs to be change at the head of DCI to shake things up a bit. I’d LOVE to see crown wear cream again, SCV to go back to aussies, Boston to go back red and for the trusty maroon and gold to make its way back to the corps from Allentown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Ummmmm...... Have you 'seen' what your donation has been supporting the past few years?

Yes and I don't like it. The members are still getting the experience of a lifetime so I will continue to give.

I realize you are a Madison alum, and want to support them. But your implication here is that while you do not like DCI or even the Scouts show designs, only the members of the Scouts are getting the experience of a lifetime. What about the kids in Jersey Surf: while you are not an alum, and you may or may not like their show design, aren't they also still getting the experience of a lifetime? Should only their alumni support them?

Edited by Stu