I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

On 1/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, SNModdison said:

The last thing I'd want is for DCI to go away. I'd imagine if too many people simply walk away, the activity could die. Why would anyone want that to be the outcome?

The exact same thing people said about USA gymnastics that helped the corruption and abuse go on for years beyond where it should have.

I'm really curious what it will take for DCI to make any substantive changes regarding the deep issues of corruption and abuse that have been unearthed. 

So far, they've done less than nothing, and I'm sorry if any crazies on there think that's an exaggeration.   Look at what it took for them to finally "discover" a way to permanently destroy Roman's influence on drum corps.  I mean, my God. 

29 minutes ago, Lance said:

The exact same thing people said about USA gymnastics that helped the corruption and abuse go on for years beyond where it should have.

I'm really curious what it will take for DCI to make any substantive changes regarding the deep issues of corruption and abuse that have been unearthed. 

So far, they've done less than nothing, and I'm sorry if any crazies on there think that's an exaggeration.   Look at what it took for them to finally "discover" a way to permanently destroy Roman's influence on drum corps.  I mean, my God. 

Right now, DCI is in emergency management mode. They're floundering around like a baby giraffe because they never had a plan or the people in place to make fast changes in a logical fashion and simultaneously mitigate damage.

That's a cold way to put it, but it's truth and we all know it. This is all a perfect storm. Warnings were ignored and when the chickens came to roost, it was like watching the villain in Scooby Doo saying "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your talking dog."

DCI should have had an open line of communication since the beginning and taken a proactive approach to possible abuses. It's a YOUTH ACTIVITY and sick people didn't just appear on the planet in 1972 for God's sake. We've watched several "institutions" fall into this same dark place over and over again...many of them quite old. And they all do the same thing when they're caught being either ignorant or complicate to the wrongs done to people under their care. Victim blame, claim ignorance or lack of legal ability to make drastic and sudden change and finally overreact to minor offenses. It's the natural way that organizations tend to react when they don't have the talent, oversight or plan in place to deal with these things correctly. 

I'll say it again, it's not about having lawyers on staff. Hell, we've got a whole team of them at my work. You have to have PR people, people scouring the social networks for potential negative press, counselors and HR staff who are empowered to investigate and take action...not just make a recommendation. If you take the teeth away from a tiger, it's just a really big, nifty kitty. 

I know I'm not saying anything that others haven't said before, but we all deserve a voice. We're all former MM's, staff, family and fans. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'll say it again, it's not about having lawyers on staff. Hell, we've got a whole team of them at my work. You have to have PR people, people scouring the social networks for potential negative press, counselors and HR staff who are empowered to investigate and take action...not just make a recommendation. If you take the teeth away from a tiger, it's just a really big, nifty kitty. 

I know I'm not saying anything that others haven't said before, but we all deserve a voice. We're all former MM's, staff, family and fans. 

You're right.... they (DCI) sure could use a PR person or team specializing in crisis management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But they did a PowerPoint on harassment at the Januals. Are you saying that’s not enough?

/s

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

You're right.... they (DCI) sure could use a PR person or team specializing in crisis management

They need all of the above. The company I work for is small by comparison to where I came from. We've probably got about 6.7 million contracts. In my world, that's small. But we have a staff that scours social media every hour of every day looking for mentions of the company. When they find something negative, they immediately take action and reach out to the customer through social media, phone and email.

Then it goes to the law team to work through what the legal responsibilities are and then BACK to the PR group to find out if the legal responsibilities should even matter given the human responsibilities. We do a LOT when we don't even have legal reason to do so and I'm #### proud of that. 

It's not rocket science. It's a model that puts people who care in charge of making change. They make a decision to help and are empowered to act on it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I admit I'm confused about your refused 

I refuse to explain

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Right now, DCI is in emergency management mode. They're floundering around like a baby giraffe because they never had a plan or the people in place to make fast changes in a logical fashion and simultaneously mitigate damage.

That's a cold way to put it, but it's truth and we all know it. This is all a perfect storm. Warnings were ignored and when the chickens came to roost, it was like watching the villain in Scooby Doo saying "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your talking dog."

DCI should have had an open line of communication since the beginning and taken a proactive approach to possible abuses. It's a YOUTH ACTIVITY and sick people didn't just appear on the planet in 1972 for God's sake. We've watched several "institutions" fall into this same dark place over and over again...many of them quite old. And they all do the same thing when they're caught being either ignorant or complicate to the wrongs done to people under their care. Victim blame, claim ignorance or lack of legal ability to make drastic and sudden change and finally overreact to minor offenses. It's the natural way that organizations tend to react when they don't have the talent, oversight or plan in place to deal with these things correctly. 

some people have quietly slipped away that should have been gone. that's a big improvement

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 5:14 PM, Stu said:

An assumption on my part because you only support the Scouts. But the implication still exists in that you believe only the Scouts provide a lifetime experience. You avoided the question within my post concerning that implication. Please respond to that particular question.

I never implicated the Scouts are the only corps that provides the great experience. Move along now.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

some people have quietly slipped away that should have been gone. that's a big improvement

And I believe some people have been quietly removed from their positions.  My hope is that in those instances, it gets reported in some way that there are "improprieties" or questionable ethics concerns, that are health and safety in nature, that are flagged to prospective hiring orgs.  In the land of HR and lawyers, care must be taken when providing a reference or background info on a person you have relieved of their position or role.

communication amongst organizations or through DCI would be the big improvement.  But no matter what, all change in the world of Drum Corps MUST begin at the corps level.  DCI.org, must then follow the prescribed actions directed by the member corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, LabMaster said:

And I believe some people have been quietly removed from their positions.  My hope is that in those instances, it gets reported in some way that there are "improprieties" or questionable ethics concerns, that are health and safety in nature, that are flagged to prospective hiring orgs.  In the land of HR and lawyers, care must be taken when providing a reference or background info on a person you have relieved of their position or role.

communication amongst organizations or through DCI would be the big improvement.  But no matter what, all change in the world of Drum Corps MUST begin at the corps level.  DCI.org, must then follow the prescribed actions directed by the member corps.

People being quietly removed from their positions doesn’t make me feel better.  It reminds me of another institution shuffling people around.

• Like 1