I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

His poor performance would be a basis to argue he should NOT have been fired?

Man... there  are a lot of pro and college sports coaches who wish that was the case with them.  LOL.

10 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

My response probably should have been phrased differently. It's a been a h### week. What I meant to get across is that if DCI/DCA and member corps were moving people along that were questionable so that they were no longer involved in the activity, that was fine. 

I would rather these thing be handled publicly since 1) It shows recognition and accountability and 2) creates neutral PR at worst and sometimes even a little positive PR and 3) Back alley shady dealings of "problems" have a tendency to bite you in the ### if you aren't smart and careful and DCI is neither smart nor careful. 

Now, if somehow DCI was just shifting folks around to different positions so they weren't in the line light, then now I have a huge issue. Has it happened? Not that I'm aware of. My point was that it had BETTER not. 

Handling exposures of offending persons due to their behaviors or actions publicly, must be handled with great care in these litigious times.  We may not always like it, and feel it is not fair at times, but there are rights and legal processes and protection for all parties involved in any actions whether outright legal proceedings or potentially legal proceedings.  I am certain when something is proven by facts and evidence of impropriety it will become public.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Did I just read about a but crack?

Lol. I edited it. Stupid phone 

• Haha 1

I've heard talk of abandoning DCI just as corps did back in 1971 but in this day and age is that even possible? Corps are in a much more volatile and shaky position than they were in the 70s, back then there were hundreds of local corps to bolster drum corps attendance rates. While audiences are bigger and corps are growing everyday would it simply be possible to start a completely new circuit? Costs are rising and corps are waning. DCI needs to clean house before we can simply abandon it.  

3 hours ago, Cascadia said:

I've heard talk of abandoning DCI just as corps did back in 1971 but in this day and age is that even possible? Corps are in a much more volatile and shaky position than they were in the 70s, back then there were hundreds of local corps to bolster drum corps attendance rates. While audiences are bigger and corps are growing everyday would it simply be possible to start a completely new circuit? Costs are rising and corps are waning. DCI needs to clean house before we can simply abandon it.  

Salient points. :thumbup: And given the crazed reaction to G7... which was deserved after seeing the Power Point and the intent that lie under it... it would be a real undertaking to do so. I think there is an opportunity for positive change, and yes, the chance needs to be given them. The problem will be if that ends up a mess...

On 1/25/2019 at 9:21 PM, Fran Haring said:

You're right.... they (DCI) sure could use a PR person or team specializing in crisis management.

Evidently, they have some sort of PR effort in place... the people whose master stroke was to have DCI partner with Drums Alive.  This is DCI making a powerful statement about taking member safety seriously.

5c3a2f8bda7e9a091a303843_YKzDMZ_dUwRXSYa

(Yes, that was sarcasm.)

So as you imply, DCI PR needs some greater expertise, and input to processes... not just window-dressing "partnerships".

• Like 1