I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

On 1/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I'm just not entertained by 8 minutes of jazz dancing, body emoting, running instead of marching, all while playing the same 8 measures over and over at the same volume.  That was at least half the shows I've seen in the last two years.  I get that that's what today's kids want to do... I just don't call it drum and bugle corps.  I call it "Summer Guard International."

I will go to my grave stating that SCV 2016 was the last DCI show ever.  Everything after that is SGI.  Again, just my opinion, but I'm not the only one saying it.

This. I marched in 01-05 and have been a member of this forum since 04. I started losing interest a good decade ago when they started allowing electronics, but I still toughed it out a few years and went to some shows just to support the activity. When I noticed Drum Corps was making a concerted effort to switch from marching in uniforms to dancing in costumes, I just lost interest entirely. I honestly only came back to DCP after a several year break just this morning because I saw a reddit post and remembered I had an account here. If the recent news about all the drama going on is any indication, not only are the shows not getting any better, but the activity seems to be rotting from the inside out. Maybe I'll come back and see if Drum Corps has found itself again in a few years, but until then, I'm going to go back to forgetting about it.

3 hours ago, Morgoth Bauglir said:

I wonder how many people didn’t like what shows you were performing from 01 - 05?  A sure way go DC to die is for each generation believing the next generation is ruining the activity the declaring their refusal to support the activity.  If we all felt that way about everything we participated in, in our past lives, we’d all end up cranky, sitting in a corner telling everyone who would have the displeasure of listening how much better the old days were.

DC is pretty }%**% good now.  Let’s get over ourselves shall we?  Come, sit with me on my lawn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I wonder how many people didn’t like what shows you were performing from 01 - 05?  A sure way go DC to die is for each generation believing the next generation is ruining the activity the declaring their refusal to support the activity.  If we all felt that way about everything we participated in, in our past lives, we’d all end up cranky, sitting in a corner telling everyone who would have the displeasure of listening how much better the old days were.

DC is pretty }%**% good now.  Let’s get over ourselves shall we?  Come, sit with me on my lawn.

Sorry. He or she gets to have an opinion. Especially as a multi year former MM. I thought the amplified sound coming out of mic’d horns was pretty atrocious. Shame, really, to take such talent and consign it to the horrible acoustics of an indoor stadium, then on top of that to run the sound through microphones. Oh, and also, there is no “lawn” to sit on. It’s all artificial in the oil can. Like the sound. But hey, at least there’s no risk the show will be rained out. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I keep seeing no more support and can’t tell if the posters mean no more donations, no more volunteering or just not going to shows anymore. Hey if people don’t like what is in the field, why show up? And it’s their money and time so who has the right to slam.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I keep seeing no more support and can’t tell if the posters mean no more donations, no more volunteering or just not going to shows anymore. Hey if people don’t like what is in the field, why show up? And it’s their money and time so who has the right to slam.

One thing they apparently don't mean is no more posting on DCI.  Never seen so much interest in disinterest.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Sorry. He or she gets to have an opinion. Especially as a multi year former MM. I thought the amplified sound coming out of mic’d horns was pretty atrocious. Shame, really, to take such talent and consign it to the horrible acoustics of an indoor stadium, then on top of that to run the sound through microphones. Oh, and also, there is no “lawn” to sit on. It’s all artificial in the oil can. Like the sound. But hey, at least there’s no risk the show will be rained out. 

Yeah, I understand they get to have an opinion, as do I.  I can comment or can counter their opinion and expect others can with mine.  No problem with that at all.

what I don’t understand is why they choose to view current DC as a negative stray from dc from years ago, which in my opinion had it remained like it was years ago, it would have faded away to nothingness like quite a bit of it has through the years.  Times are different, the audience is different.  DC needs to appeal to a new audience.  The evolution to gather new mm’s will, and obviously has, push others away.  That is sad because there’s a lot  of good stuff going on.

And the lawn thing? I’ll leave that alone. LOL.

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Every generation thinks the next isn’t as good as the past but, the current generation, through the past ten years, is forcing the activity to change into something it is not.  DCI was the last bastion of brass and percussion marching tradition whose achievements weren’t limited by its traditional ways.  Today that bastion. Is dying and too many in the activity want to force it to change to a “field theater” activity that has no exclusivity.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Yeah, I understand they get to have an opinion, as do I.  I can comment or can counter their opinion and expect others can with mine.  No problem with that at all.

what I don’t understand is why they choose to view current DC as a negative stray from dc from years ago, which in my opinion had it remained like it was years ago, it would have faded away to nothingness like quite a bit of it has through the years.  Times are different, the audience is different.  DC needs to appeal to a new audience.  The evolution to gather new mm’s will, and obviously has, push others away.  That is sad because there’s a lot  of good stuff going on.

And the lawn thing? I’ll leave that alone. LOL.

Well, you kinda hit the nail on the head there with what the disagreement is, i.e. if it had remained like it was years ago it would have faded away to nothingness. See, there’s no way to test that hypothesis, and, I tend to think its popularity would have actually increased. But we will never know. So we share contravening opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, you kinda hit the nail on the head there with what the disagreement is, i.e. if it had remained like it was years ago it would have faded away to nothingness. See, there’s no way to test that hypothesis, and, I tend to think its popularity would have actually increased. But we will never know. So we share contravening opinions. 

Watch the videos in this link. In your opinion, which one best represents the 'years-ago' style that would have 'increased' in popularity here in the 21st century?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3E6DD478EA898E6A

Edited by Stu