I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh and for the record the last few pages started with Stu saying something about Dan being the one to decide if criminal allegations are credible. I said he should not be the one to do that due to possible conflict of interest.

had to remind myself lol

Simple question, where the decisions made by the DCI front office correct?

23 minutes ago, Stu said:

Simple question, where the decisions made by the DCI front office correct?

Didn’t even talk about any decisions made.  just disagreeing on who should decide. 

Man what decisions did you think I was talking about? Really starting to think you read stuff that ain’t there

Edited by JimF-LowBari

50 minutes ago, Stu said:

You brought you brought up the Catholic Church situation in context with DCI.

And the context was:  you can bring up a problem (in this case, you think abuse is happening) to persons in position of authority within that organization, whether it be a drum corps or drum corps international; or Penn State or Michigan State; or the Catholic Church; and see what happens. Not much. So the only other logical course of action, the FIRST course of action IMO, is to go to the police, which at least is an organization independent (maybe) of the offending organization. Will anything happen?  I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not. Or, I guess you could go to the Philadelphia Inquirer. That got some traction. 

And, if someone brings an accusation to Dan, then Dan should report it to the police. Did Dan do that, Stu?  If he did, good. It’s the smart thing to do. All he can do is relay what he was told. Dan shouldn’t be “deciding” anything regarding a criminal complaint. He should be “reporting” it. If he wants to additionally take administrative actions, then he should. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

The Catholic Church discouraged people from reporting abuse to the police, with the promise to the families that they’d make sure it didn’t happen again. We all know how well that self-policing turned out. You think abuse is happening?  Report it to the police as your first action. After that, if you want to push the rope with the corps or DCI, have at it. Of course, we all know how well that has gone. 

I reported suspected abuse once. the police couldn't find evidence of anything, but I almost got sued by the accused.

in the end, I was proven right, but i could have lost my ### in court 9 years earlier when nothing could be found. Hence why people are afraid to come forward. 

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

It is a tactic he believes in and a way he thinks he cleverly makes his point:  Unless you SPECIFICALLY say something, he spins it so it favors his point which I am thinking it is simply to be contrary or argumentative to anything anyone says.  And it can flex between a specific statement or a general statement.  But that's just my own opinion.

to be honest, I wasn't getting where Jim was going either. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

to be honest, I wasn't getting where Jim was going either. 

Yeah I was just trying to disagree with the idea that DA should be the one who decides if criminal allegations should be passed to law enforcement. Kept getting twisted to I was talking about specific allegations that DA ignored. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I reported suspected abuse once. the police couldn't find evidence of anything, but I almost got sued by the accused.

in the end, I was proven right, but i could have lost my ### in court 9 years earlier when nothing could be found. Hence why people are afraid to come forward. 

I know too many stories like yours. Sadly. 

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah I was just trying to disagree with the idea that DA should be the one who decides if criminal allegations should be passed to law enforcement. Kept getting twisted to I was talking about specific allegations that DA ignored. 

If you were DA, wouldn’t you pass along any and all allegations you receive to the police, as a way to cover your butt?

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If you were DA, wouldn’t you pass along any and all allegations you receive to the police, as a way to cover your butt?

I would but my job wouldn’t let me get into a situation like this where it could be a conflict of interest. (And that might not be done in a nice way) Conflict one is being in charge of DCI yet deciding on passing criminal info could hurt DCI.  Conflict two is deciding on passing info which could hurt the people who decide if you are going to remain in charge. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I would but my job wouldn’t let me get into a situation like this where it could be a conflict of interest. (And that might not be done in a nice way) Conflict one is being in charge of DCI yet deciding on passing criminal info could hurt DCI.  Conflict two is deciding on passing info which could hurt the people who decide if you are going to remain in charge. 

I understand what you’re saying.  Nobody said it was going to be easy that’s for sure. But in the end, you have to answer to the man in the mirror. And the Big Man upstairs. 

• Like 1