I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

12 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Colbert et al are on way past my bedtime.  I'm lucky to make it through the first of twenty Big Bang Theory episodes on every night. 

Heck... most stuff from 9 PM on now goes on my DVR. :laughing:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Colbert et al are on way past my bedtime.  I'm lucky to make it through the first of twenty Big Bang Theory episodes on every night. 

Guess I don’t support the NHL then either as don’t watch like I used to..... past my bedtime too

I havent supported that dread since 2003

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 7:22 AM, HockeyDad said:

Nor will a handfull of people saying they’ll support it per usual. Which makes this whole thread rather silly. The proof will be in the pudding. And we won’t know until well into the season whether attendance and spending is down or not. 

What is everyone's take now that we have had some 33 shows?

2 minutes ago, JAZZER said:

What is everyone's take now that we have had some 33 shows?

packed house last night in WI - guess we'll get some "hard data" at the first regional

For every old timer leaving, there seems to be 1.2 or so new people joining the activity. (I’d have to go find stats again, but I believe that’s ballpark accurate) Personally I get more enjoyment seeing Jason Aldean or Jason Isbell in concert than a DCI event. DCI events are playing to the judges, concerts play for the fans. I think that’s preventing wider growth and always will. But then again, you can only sell tickets in maybe a third of a stadium and half of those aren’t considered good. So there’s a fundamental limit on how big DCI can get. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

For every old timer leaving, there seems to be 1.2 or so new people joining the activity. (I’d have to go find stats again, but I believe that’s ballpark accurate) Personally I get more enjoyment seeing Jason Aldean or Jason Isbell in concert than a DCI event. DCI events are playing to the judges, concerts play for the fans. I think that’s preventing wider growth and always will. But then again, you can only sell tickets in maybe a third of a stadium and half of those aren’t considered good. So there’s a fundamental limit on how big DCI can get. 

I don’t think I have seen stats that show for every “old timer” leaving the activity, 1.2 people join.What I have seen is ticket sales increasing in areas where drum corps does not have strong roots and more interest in auditioning to march. For many who no longer attend shows or support the activity, they may not have walked away because they do not like what is happening on the field. In some areas there are fewer shows. In some cases it’s a matter of vacation time. For others it’s new interests. 

This is why I often say, if you are going to not support drum corps anymore, let’s see the canceled checks and credit card receipts, the ticket stubs, program books, souvenirs that show you have supported the activity in the first place. So many who are ranting today have not been to shows in years or followed the corps for years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I don't think we'll know the impact of the current trends in drum corps for several years.

A lot of "old timers" will hang around,because its the "only game in town".

Parents and other relatives will always attend shows when their kids are marching.

What remains to be seen is if the current trend in show designs,uniforms,traditions, translates into  people 

who are currently  part of drum corps,(MM,family,etc.) staying involved,by attending shows,after they are no longer directly 

involved.

They do,Drum Corps can flourish.

They don't,there are going to be problems once there aren't any more "old timers".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

packed house last night in WI - 

Not a great indicator. This doesn't take into account that probably most people snapping up tickets are stealth protesters. They show up loathing the activity, and hide it with cheering, sometimes even standing and clapping, etc... 

There'll be even more of them in the stands as the season progresses. Mark my words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5