I hereby refuse to support DCI in 2019... who's in?

4 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Yes, there is this. I first got interested in this activity when I was a kid in the early 80's and DCI came to my small hometown of Hanover, PA. I don't remember what it cost, but it must not have been much if I got tickets to it. 

This year there are no shows less than a 2 hour drive. Tickets to the Beanpot for good seats (not the best) were $105 with me and two kids.

:laugh:

I can imagine the reaction if I had said to my laid off steelworker dad back way back in the late 70s early 80s, "Hey Dad, lets drive two hours away this weekend and spend 100 plus (equivalent dollars) to see drum and bugle corps" or even worse "Hey dad can I borrow 4000 dollars to join a drum corps for a season?"

When I marched in the mid '70's I paid $700 per season.

$700 to $4,000 in 40 years is about 4.5% cost inflation per year.  Considering the decline in the supply of marching opportunities, that doesn't sound like hyper-inflation in tour fees to me.

Price a week at Interlochen or a summer of travel-field hockey (or name your kid-sport) and I think it's pretty clear that the drum corps experience value proposition is still quite high.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

You wouldn't have had to say it back in the 70s...gas was also cheaper and a loaf of bread as well

Yes, but things were tough then. We couldn't afford a loaf of bread.  My dad stole a loaf of bread for us and was sent to prison for 19 years! 

...at least I think that's what it was about, I might be getting it confused with something else. :unsure:

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Yes, but things were tough then. We couldn't afford a loaf of bread.  My dad stole a loaf of bread for us and was sent to prison for 19 years!  at least I think that's what it was about, I might be getting it confused with something else. :unsure:

No, you’re correct.  I know some CO’s from CT and your Dads inmate number was 24601.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

When I marched in the mid '70's I paid $700 per season.

$700 to $4,000 in 40 years is about 4.5% cost inflation per year.  Considering the decline in the supply of marching opportunities, that doesn't sound like hyper-inflation in tour fees to me.

Price a week at Interlochen or a summer of travel-field hockey (or name your kid-sport) and I think it's pretty clear that the drum corps experience value proposition is still quite high.

This is a good point and I agree. I don't think the cost is unfair, or that there's a conspiracy to keep out the underclass. Myself and I'm sure a lot of others always want something for nothing. 

I can't overstate how much my kid, and we as parents have gotten from this activity. I've doled out thousands of dollars and felt all of it was worthwhile. Music lessons, teamwork, confidence, work ethic, etc... I've seen huge changes in my kid through the activity.  

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My fees were $325 in ‘78.  Gas was .79 a gallon, we rode on school busses. We went on one five day trip around 7/4  and the two week trip to Denver in August. I think the fees for the difference between now and then are justified. 

I may be young, but I remember my mom complaining about having to pay $1.05 in gas because just he day before it was 99 cents. Lol. I remember a gallon of milk being $1.10, bread being 99 cents, candy bars being a lot longer, and back when Crazy Bread was a foot long. In my eyes, the 90s were a magical time. Lol.

• Haha 1

For perspective, here in Maine we have the Maine Jazz Camp each summer. High school kids go to the University of Maine, stay in the dorms, eat campus food, rehearse for two weeks, travel NOWHERE and have one performance for little more than their parents on the last day. The 2019 fee for these two weeks?  $1800.

Yes, with 62 days of instruction, travel on modern, safe buses NOT driven by the corps director's brother, 4 meals a day, and 22-30 performances at sometimes HUGE venues, drum corps IS a deal at $4500 for an entire summer.

One other thing...in 1977, I paid $64.00 for driver's ed.  Now (at least here in Maine) it is close to $700.  Times have changed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

My fees were $325 in ‘78.  Gas was .79 a gallon, we rode on school busses. We went on one five day trip around 7/4  and the two week trip to Denver in August. I think the fees for the difference between now and then are justified. 

Is it bad that I saw 7/4 and I was thinking about time signatures?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost said:

No, you’re correct.  I know some CO’s from CT and your Dads inmate number was 24601.  

and every time he lipped off to a guard, he got one day more

• Haha 1